Simply Electronics

Edit My Images
No
Does anyone have any experience with SimplyElectronics? ...a retailer accessed via the Amazon.co.uk website?

Never dealt with them, but they are Hong Kong based as far as i am aware, dont know if that makes any difference to you though :)

I've gathered this after reading some customer feedback...I'm sure no-where on the initial purchasing pages it mentions they're being in HK, and indeed in the feedback page when someone mentions it the seller refutes it saying the 'main operation' is in the UK.

The item I purchased is stated as new so hopefully it will be new, I'm just warey now as the estimated despatch date has passed and also that if it's a grey import there will be no manufacturer warranty. :razz:

Does anyone have any experience with SimplyElectronics? ...a retailer accessed via the Amazon.co.uk website?

Yes I have and they have let me down twice!! I would steer clear of them. :thumbsdown:

Yes I have and they have let me down twice!! I would steer clear of them. :thumbsdown:

I'm beginning to get that vibe too :bang:

I've e-mailed them to check on the status of my order. Just checked the seller page again and there's no indication whatsoever of the goods being sourced outside of the United Kingdom.

I'd be wary. I've heard of people getting good service from them, but they've also got a bit of a rep for taking your cash whether the goods are in stock or not, and stonewalling people for ages while they try to source the item. They don't rush to refund either if you insist on going that route.

There was a member on here not so long ago who ordered a Nikon lens (IIRC) and was sent around the garden path on numerous occasions with them.

I think he ended up cancelling the order and the refund took ages as well. From what he said, goods are sourced in HK but the operation is based in London..

Beginning to get a bad feeling about my order!:sulk:

e-mailed them this morning and haven't had a reply as yet.

I'd be wary. I've heard of people getting good service from them, but they've also got a bit of a rep for taking your cash whether the goods are in stock or not, and stonewalling people for ages while they try to source the item. They don't rush to refund either if you insist on going that route.

Exactly what they did to me--eventually got my money back after them saying they had the item in stock

There was a member on here not so long ago who ordered a Nikon lens (IIRC) and was sent around the garden path on numerous occasions with them.

I think he ended up cancelling the order and the refund took ages as well. From what he said, goods are sourced in HK but the operation is based in London..

Possibly myself.Would rather pay extra to source in the UK--even though they said the lens was in the UK, it wasnt and they never had it in stock and were then unable to get it for me.Im now a few months down the line and after another 2 suppliers i still havent got a lens but now the money is back in my bank.

Possibly myself.Would rather pay extra to source in the UK--even though they said the lens was in the UK, it wasnt and they never had it in stock and were then unable to get it for me.Im now a few months down the line and after another 2 suppliers i still havent got a lens but now the money is back in my bank.

I must confess I didn't realise the seller sourced the goods from HK. From what I've seen from a few forum searches the main operation is in London but all the goods are sourced from HK. If I'd have known the goods were coming from HK (and as this is the case I'm likely to have no manufacturer warranty?) I too would have bought them from a seller I knew was definitely in the UK.

The item showed as being in stock when I bought it on monday, but now when I search for the item on Amazon my seller is not listed so either I bought the last one or they haven't got any stock!

The estimated dispatch dates on my Amazon page have passed and still I've had no e-mail saying the goods have been dispatched.

All in all this gives me great doubt that the item is coming from the UK :cautious:

I have bought from them i have got 2 lenses and they came within 2 weeks as per there standard delivery times.
never got charged Duty. I only realised how they operated after i placed the order. They give a years warranty (their own warranty) so i beleive.
with the current exhange rates i wouldnt bother - pay the little extra fro peice of mind!

Oh it will come but it may be a while. They advertise stock they dont have and then try to get hold of it for you.After several mails from me they admitted they couldnt get an 80-200 AFD for a while and after more mails they returned my money....Hope things go ok for you though.

ps...they were still advertising the item i wanted as being in stock and i believe are still doing so to this day even though they clearly dont have it.

Last edited:
If I'd have known the goods were coming from HK (and as this is the case I'm likely to have no manufacturer warranty?) I too would have bought them from a seller I knew was definitely in the UK.

All in all this gives me great doubt that the item is coming from the UK :cautious:

Always worth doing a bit of research on the seller first -SE have been mentioned here on TP quite a few times recently. You are correct in that you won't have a Nikon warranty and there is also a small chance (if they ship direct from HK) that you'll get hit for VAT/import duty and/or handling charges too....

Always worth doing a bit of research on the seller first -SE have been mentioned here on TP quite a few times recently. You are correct in that you won't have a Nikon warranty and there is also a small chance (if they ship direct from HK) that you'll get hit for VAT/import duty and/or handling charges too....

I'll certainly have a word or two to say if this is the case! if they do import goods it should be clearly stated on the sellers profile, on the Amazon site it most certaily isn't!

:bang:

I'd have thought that any VAT/import duty incurred is their responsibility. You've paid all you were asked . End of.

Keith.

I'd have thought that any VAT/import duty incurred is their responsibility. You've paid all you were asked . End of.

Keith.

Mmmm..that would seem the case to me as well..a bit like Kerso, any VAT/duty is taken care of when items arrive in Scotland, they are then sent out at the agreed price.

Given what this "organisation" do, in holding onto people's money before giving them advance warning about stock and any delays, I would certainly check though...

Mmmm..that would seem the case to me as well..a bit like Kerso, any VAT/duty is taken care of when items arrive in Scotland, they are then sent out at the agreed price.

Given what this "organisation" do, in holding onto people's money before giving them advance warning about stock and any delays, I would certainly check though...

Well they don't seem to have taken my money yet, I placed the order through the Amazon site at teatime on Monday.

My main bone of contention is that at no stage in the initial order placement did it say anything about goods being imported from HK. If goods are imported I expect to be told at the time of order placement, and this information shouldn't be hidden away in terms and conditions.

I expected that as the seller was listed on Amazon they would be reputable, perhaps I was too trusting. It's now nearly five days later and the order hasn't even been dispatched yet, when it was allegadly in stock in the first place. I'm beginning to doubt the item is coming from within the UK.

If I'd have known the goods were coming from HK (and as this is the case I'm likely to have no manufacturer warranty?) I too would have bought them from a seller I knew was definitely in the UK.

Well as I understand it, the manufacturer is obliged to provide warranty cover regardless of where you bought it, but in the case of grey imports, they just don't have cover valid in the UK. I have heard of cases of Canon and Nikon et al doing good will repairs on imported kit, but it's the exception rather than the rule. Expect to have to return it to the country of origin at your expense.

Maximum hassle for not playing by the rules.;)

Well as I understand it, the manufacturer is obliged to provide warranty cover regardless of where you bought it, but in the case of grey imports, they just don't have cover valid in the UK. I have heard of cases of Canon and Nikon et al doing good will repairs on imported kit, but it's the exception rather than the rule. Expect to have to return it to the country of origin at your expense.

Maximum hassle for not playing by the rules.;)

tbh other than the issues I've heard with the battery clips I'd hope not much would go wrong with the battery grip, I just hope when it arrives its new and hasn't been repackaged...it was badged as new on the site!

Grrr my grip still hasn't been dispatched! what a load of rubbish this company is... of all the things I've ordered via the internet over the last two years this is by far the longest delivery I have encountered!

..rant over.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:Sitting back and watching how this pans out for you, they are very poor--once bitten-twice shy.

...well I got the e-mail this morning saying it had been dispatched! :woot:

That's only a full week after initial order placement of an item that was allegedly in stock :bang:

Now it's just a case of seeing what turns up...probably a grip for a Canon or somthing :puke:

Well it turned up at lunch time today (y)

Well packaged, certainly seems new and all looks in order.

Just over a week to deliver.

Shan't be using them again though, question is now do I leave bad feedback on their seller page? :bat:

Better not to....just in case you have a warranty claim ;)

This is true! I suppose at the end of the day if it's what I wanted and in mint condition then I'm not too bothered about waiting a little longer than usual for it to be delivered.

:)

It's not as if there really is much to go wrong with it - just be careful with the battery clips, they break quite easily....

Good to hear your item actually turned up.I ordered a Nikon 80-200 AFD nearly 3 months ago and gone through 3 sellers all of which took the money and couldnt supply the item. Money went back into my account a wee ago. Im now waitin on a newly Nikon serviced 80-200 AFS coming my way, which im hoping is in the next few day.

Back