SIMs and 5G

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking of getting a new phone, I have question that someone hopefully instantly knows the answer to.

My old phone is 4G and has a micro sim card in it. If I get a new phone (no contract) will my existing sim work or do I require a new sim to use the phone on 5G?

Depends on wether your sim is 5g capable....5g sims can use 4g aswell, because not everwhere has 5g yet

I'm thinking of getting a new phone, I have question that someone hopefully instantly knows the answer to.

My old phone is 4G and has a micro sim card in it. If I get a new phone (no contract) will my existing sim work or do I require a new sim to use the phone on 5G?
Contact your current provider - they will be able to tell you if the SIM is 5G capable, and if your current plan includes 5G.

Depends on wether your sim is 5g capable....5g sims can use 4g aswell, because not everwhere has 5g yet

I very much doubt it, I've had this phone for years. This was the point of my post, I didn't know if 4g and 5g were sim or phone dependent; from your answer I would confirm that my sim won't work.
Contact your current provider - they will be able to tell you if the SIM is 5G capable, and if your current plan includes 5G.

I am on payg so there is no plan.

I might also ask, in the case of me not requiring 5G, will my 4G sim work in a new phone?

EDIT: No worries I have found out all I need to know.

Last edited:
Back