Simulating B/W filters in Photoshop

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone know the settings needed in Photoshop to exactly emulate the effects of specific B/W filters. e.g a Kodak No 11 light yellow green, or a Kodak No 25 Red, etc.

With film, it was common to talk about using a No 29 deep red or a No 8 yellow, etc and I would like to see what these look like compared to my freehand manipulation of the colour sliders.

Thanks,

Graham

Have a look at photo filters, they are under IMAGE > ADJUSTMENTS > PHOTO FILTERS.

18980-1503757673-2a8c04dfaf68dc89f5de4290ee48fbb6.jpg

Last edited:
Have a look at photo filters, they are under IMAGE > ADJUSTMENTS > PHOTO FILTERS.

Thanks, I hadn't realised these were there, but I confess I don't really follow what they doing, and I can't find out whether they are simulating Kodak Wratten filters, and I can't get them to work anyway.

If I add a "red" filter to a colour image and then convert to B/W, the image contrast doesn't match the red filter available in the B/W conversion panel, nor does it look like a red filter result, nor does it physically change the sliders (so I can't get the readings), but that is probably not to be expected given the way it seems to work.

So unfortunately, unless I am doing something wrong, which could well be the case, I'm no further forward than using the filters in the B/W conversion panel, where adding a red filter does change the sliders, but I don't know whether these are simulating the Wratten filters or not, and there are some common filters missing.

Thanks for trying,

Cheers,

Graham

My apologies I misread the question.

There are B&W filters under image > adjustment > Black and White, at the top of the panel click where it says default and a drop down panel lists the presets.

Note they only work on a layer, so ether copy the background and work on the copy or unlock the background.

Also there is an adjustments layer in the adjustments window it’s a black and white box in the middle row.

My apologies I misread the question.

There are B&W filters under image > adjustment > Black and White, at the top of the panel click where it says default and a drop down panel lists the presets.

Sorry, I'm obviously not explaining myself very well, this is the panel I was referring to in my previous post.

So although there is a preset for a red filter, is it specifically simulating a Wratten 25, or is it some generic red filter, and even if they are simulating Wratten filters then as I said in the last post some common Wratten filters are missing.

So when I said settings to exactly emulate specific B/W Wratten filters in my OP, I meant settings for the sliders in the panel you mentioned in your previous post. (or something else if that isn't where you would adjust the settings).

I'm guessing I am the only person in the world that is interested in this, as after several days of googling I have found nothing to help.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Graham

Thanks, I did actually find this, and it has some Wratten filters available I have never heard of. But I am looking for the slider settings needed for the different filters and although I know its only $11, I'm not sure what its going to do, do you think that as its an action based tool, it will shift the sliders so I can then read off the settings.

I was going to email and ask, but couldn't find any contact details on the site. I may yet buy it anyway, but I'm a bit surprised that I haven't able to find this information somewhere.

Thanks again,

Cheers,
Graham

The top level of his site has social media links, so you could probably ask him for further details (or maybe request a sample filter) on Facebook or something: http://graficalicus.com/

The top level of his site has social media links, so you could probably ask him for further details (or maybe request a sample filter) on Facebook or something: http://graficalicus.com/

Thanks, I saw these but I'm not signed up any of these social media (except flikr). The text on the opening page does say there is a contact link at the top of every page, but there isn't. I may just end up buying a copy.

Cheers,

Graham

http://www.robertstech.com/fotoshop/chapters/chapter08.htm

Bit at the bottom of the page which looks at using PS Filter panel.

Thanks, the Colour Correction filters are labelled with Wratten numbers, but I'm not sure if that means its safe to assume the other filters are Wratten, and if so why aren't they labelled. However, as I said in an earlier post, I can't work out how this works for B/W, and there seems no way to find out what slider settings are associated with each filter.

Cheers,

Graham

Back