Singapore

ACW

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi!

I will staying in Singapore (Marina Bay Sands) for 10 days in October with the other half.

This is primarily a photographic trip (leisure rather than anything serious/commercial) with some shopping and dining thrown in.

We are fairly open minded in where to go and what to photograph / experience. Although I like birding, wildlife, cityscape / landscape / night shots in particular.

Apart from the obligatory shots from the top of the hotel, we have a couple of things on our to do list so far:

Definitely:
Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve
Singapore Zoo
Botanic Gardens

Maybe:
Night safari?
Day trip to Indonesia for boat through mangrove and photograph wildlife / sea gypsies?
Day trip to Malaysia for Johor or Malacca?
Museums?

Any suggestions of things we've missed out photographically?

Or even general singapore advice? Be it photographic or otherwise?

A lot of very well travelled members here so hopefully some of you will be able to help me out.

Have heard about the humidity and bagging the gear before going into a cool air conditioned building. And yes I'll be having a Singapore Sling!

Thanks!

afternoon tea in the Tiffin Room at Raffles
Dave

Last edited:
Definitely go on the night safari - it was superb when we went. And did you mention Jurong Bird Park? Also excellent.

afternoon tea in the Tiffin Room at Raffles
Dave

Sounds good, I'm partial to a nice High Tea. Thanks Dave.

Definitely go on the night safari - it was superb when we went. And did you mention Jurong Bird Park? Also excellent.

Was not 100% on the night Safari, but I'll give it a go, I guess it's something different and will give me a chance to test some high ISO speeds! Think you get a cheaper rate if you book this in conjunction with your normal Zoo tickets too.

Will check out the Bird Park if the proper birding expeditions don't go too well! Thank you for the tips.

Hi Adam,i just saw this thread of yours.
Marina Bay Sands(MBS) is right in the city and there are plenty of cityscapes for you to shoot especially during the blue hour and at night.
Like the Merlion park,Helix Bridge,MBS,Singapore River,Flyer,Garden by the Bay,CBD district are some of the landmark Icons of Singapore near to your hotel.
there will also be night laser show right infront of your hotel daily(if iam not wrong) at around 8pm(pls double confirm).
Other places slightly further away but still inside the city are Orchard road with beautiful lighted shopping malls that u can eat/shop til u drop,Marina Barrage,Chinatown,Little India.

Night safari-i had only been to there once and never thought of returning again at least in the next 3-5 years. But then since u are going to the Zoo for the day trip,u can continue staying till night for the Night Safari since they are just next to each other and also test your camera ISO performance. There is also a River Safari which u can pay a visit to the 2 endangered Pandas(Kai Kai & Jia Jia)

Indonesia-i never been to before so i can't help u on this.

Johor-It is very near to Singapore but i don't think there is anything worth paying a visit to as Singapore is a "better" place to explore.Singaporeans usually go in to eat and buy some groceries,household items,car wash/servicing...etc due to stronger SGD exchange rate.

Malacca-It takes about 2.5 hours drive up. They are popular for their Peranakan food. Quite a nice place for relaxing. 1 day trip is about enough to walk around the popular city area. But then i would say if u have the extra day to spare then u can drop by,otherwise u can always visit KL and Malacca in future.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for posting. Some helpful information there.

Marina Bay Sands(MBS) is right in the city and there are plenty of cityscapes for you to shoot especially during the blue hour and at night.
Like the Merlion park,Helix Bridge,MBS,Singapore River,Flyer,Garden by the Bay,CBD district are some of the landmark Icons of Singapore near to your hotel.
there will also be night laser show right infront of your hotel daily(if iam not wrong) at around 8pm(pls double confirm).
Other places slightly further away but still inside the city are Orchard road with beautiful lighted shopping malls that u can eat/shop til u drop,Marina Barrage,Chinatown,Little India.
^ Depending how we feel after our flight, we hope to get a bit of night time exploring done on our first evening. (We arrive at 5PMish, hotel by 7PMish) Probably save the cityscape photography for the next evening.

Night safari-i had only been to there once and never thought of returning again at least in the next 3-5 years. But then since u are going to the Zoo for the day trip,u can continue staying till night for the Night Safari since they are just next to each other and also test your camera ISO performance. There is also a River Safari which u can pay a visit to the 2 endangered Pandas(Kai Kai & Jia Jia)
^We were thinking of getting the 4in1 park hopper, but may split it into Zoo one day, and Night safari the next, depending how tired we get! I think it will be f/2.8 and under only for the night one, never shot animals at night before. Particularly looking forwards to this.

Indonesia-i never been to before so i can't help u on this.
Johor-It is very near to Singapore but i don't think there is anything worth paying a visit to as Singapore is a "better" place to explore.Singaporeans usually go in to eat and buy some groceries,household items,car wash/servicing...etc due to stronger SGD exchange rate.
^A lot of people don't seem to rate it very much. It was more of another country to add to the list if we had time. Singapore has a lot to offer so we may not get around to going there. But yes, hopefully we'll get a chance in future to visit anyway.

It would have been Johor only, I think Malacca was just that bit too far!

Hi Eric,

Thanks for posting. Some helpful information there.

^ Depending how we feel after our flight, we hope to get a bit of night time exploring done on our first evening. (We arrive at 5PMish, hotel by 7PMish) Probably save the cityscape photography for the next evening.

^We were thinking of getting the 4in1 park hopper, but may split it into Zoo one day, and Night safari the next, depending how tired we get! I think it will be f/2.8 and under only for the night one, never shot animals at night before. Particularly looking forwards to this.

^A lot of people don't seem to rate it very much. It was more of another country to add to the list if we had time. Singapore has a lot to offer so we may not get around to going there. But yes, hopefully we'll get a chance in future to visit anyway.

It would have been Johor only, I think Malacca was just that bit too far!

no problem,just trying my best to help out.

Back