"Sir Nigel Gresley" on the east coast main line.

Edit My Images
No
60007 "Sir Nigel Gresley" with the York to Edinburgh leg of this weekends "Coronation".

0224a.jpg

Canon 40D + 28-70mm f/2.8L

i agree about the wires, and it'd be quite an easy cloning job to remove them, though a lot of work too.

I have to agree with the others, it's a cracking shot thats spoilt by all those lines and poles, it would be well worth the work to clone them out imo.
If it was mine without the lines it would be hanging on the wall.

The overhead wires used to bother me but as I rarely shoot on the ECML I can live with the odd one.

I cloned the wires out once before as you can see below and it took ages. So there's no way I'm even going to attempt this one.

Tornado-1.jpg

HDRa.jpg

Stunning photograph mate, really do like that one.

And as for the wires, i'm gonna go against the grain and say it works well with them in the shot, you then get an idea where she is running, back on her old stomping ground.

But nah both stonking shots mate

keep up the top work :)

Matt :)

nice pic

dont suppose it went through newcastle the other day?

saw a steam train go past my window!

Which day? ;)
If it was Saturday and Monday, then the answer would be yes.

What a lovely shot. Well done M8.

I agree the wires should stay. It's what the eye would see.

Toni, the Mallard shot is STUNNING! It even made me break out into goosepimples just by looking at it! Even the processing is spot on.
Yes, it's true about those overhead electric cables "getting in the way", but because the shot is of such high quality I'm prepared to accept those cables being there.
Brilliant work!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the positive comments glad you like it.

I dislike the wires as much as the next man, however it's a real pleasure to see loco's like this occasionally stretching their legs on the route they were designed for,
rather than pootling up and down a single track preservation line.

Thanks for all the positive comments glad you like it.

I dislike the wires as much as the next man, however it's a real pleasure to see loco's like this occasionally stretching their legs on the route they were designed for,
rather than pootling up and down a single track preservation line.

Agreed dude, but hey seeing them on a preserved line is better then them being stuffed and mounted!

once again top pic bud :)

Really nice pic of the train, personally id cut the top of the picture off and remove some of the wires and then clone out the wires that you can see near and in front of the train, so the train is most prominent in the frame.

Really nice pic of the train, personally id cut the top of the picture off and remove some of the wires and then clone out the wires that you can see near and in front of the train, so the train is most prominent in the frame.
This would cut off the exhaust which is integral to the shot as it's the only bit that suggests movement, as for cloning out only some of the wires that would just look a mess.

When you shoot anything that's moving the rule of thumb is to leave room for it to run into and not to crop it too tightly.

Back