Sister-in-laws wants to upgrade

intel86

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
My sister-in-law has been using here 1000D for a couple of years now and now feels she needs to upgrade. I know she has the bog standard kit lens and a couple of zooms but not sure what they are.

She asked me for advice but i am not 'that' good with camera advice!

My brother now has my 50D so his wife (my sister-in-law) has seen it and wants to improve her kit.

She cant afford a 50D so has been looking at these 3:

500D
550D
40D

Having handled the 50D she likes how it feels but also likes the xxD range of Canon cameras. I would say she takes all sorts of shots as she always has her camera with her!

I know her budget is limited and the above are within that.

Any help as to what you people can recommend would be superb as i am no use when it comes to the ins and outs of the different models. One thing i can add is that i know she wants something that is also good in low light as her 1000D is limiting her in that area. She is going to get a 50mm 1.8 at some stage which i know will help.

Last edited:
I would recomend a 550d personally. But I know alot of people pefer 30/40/50d's to the xxxd bodies.

The 550d is slightly smaller than a 40d Im sure and it has video and newer sensor.

Or she could get a second hand 40d/500d and get a good lens?

Dont think she minds but i know those are the models she likes. She has had the 1000D for a long time and i know once she chooses it will be kept for some time.

Hi

If she likes the 50D - size and weight wise, I'd opt for the 40D ...

If she feels it maybe too big / heavy for long use, then I'd opt for the 550D - as she is used to the weight / size of the 1000D

i am no use when it comes to the ins and outs of the different models.
This might help:

5630405857_65f1ba3b1f_b.jpg

No idea which one your s-i-l should pick though :)

Size, feel and robust i would say 40D but 550D is newer with video and high iso i believe. Personally i would choose 40D.

If she likes the feel of the 50D then she will be happy with the 40D. There really isn't a lot to choose between them. If she hasn't got 'L' series lenses then the 50D won't be able to produce anything better than the 40D.

This DPReview sums up the differences quite well.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/page31.asp

The 550D is a more modern camera with video and a few other enhancements. I can't see any reason not to choose it, if she's happy with the smaller form. I have average sized hands, for a man, and find the XXXD series a bit cramped but my daughter - petite - is fine with them. She could add a grip if this is the only issue.

The 40D is still an excellent choice too. I prefer the XXD cameras, and I like having the rear control wheel and the top LED panel. At the end of the day, I doubt if it will make a great deal of difference to her photography. There's no deal breaker differences - apart from the video capability, if that matters to her - and it's got far more to do with what she feels most comfortable with.

I started out with a 550D and can recommend them thoroughly. It's a great camera and gives really good results. It's comfortable to hold even in big hands, mine are like shovels, and easy to navigate the buttons and menus. I have upgraded to a 7D and a 5D2 since, after a windfall, but I gave the 550D to the wife as it was too good a camera to want to sell. To be honest, if I'd bought the 5D2 before the 7D I would of kept the 550D as backup and not bothered with the 7D at all. I'm not dissing the 7D either as it's a brilliant camera, but the 550D was a brilliant camera also.

She told me today that she held a Nikon D90 and liked that too! She said she wont buy until she can fing out more as to which would be the better camera. Told her to check a few sites and i would continue to ask on here!

intel86 said:
She told me today that she held a Nikon D90 and liked that too! She said she wont buy until she can fing out more as to which would be the better camera. Told her to check a few sites and i would continue to ask on here!

The other thing to think about is if she swaps to a Nikon, then she will have to buy all new lenses etc etc. if she stays with Canon then at least there is the possibility to share

The other thing to think about is if she swaps to a Nikon, then she will have to buy all new lenses etc etc. if she stays with Canon then at least there is the possibility to share

Exactly. Told her this but you know how headstrong women can be!

Exactly. Told her this but you know how headstrong women can be!

So she's ready to going to throw away THREE zoom lenses just because she "likes how the Nikon feels"? Oh, my... *facepalm*. Then what is she asking for advice for?

So she's ready to going to throw away THREE zoom lenses just because she "likes how the Nikon feels"? Oh, my... *facepalm*. Then what is she asking for advice for?

No, her husband (My Brother) will have the lenses for his 50D

Sounds like she don't really know what to look for. She either love the Nikon after swap or hate it after the swap and regret not to stick with canon.

She probably like the feel of the Nikon D90 so she got a moment wanting to sell everything and buy the Nikon.

Their is a price she have to paid for switching brand, accesories, lens etc

Well, this is probably a good time to switch to Nikon (or any other brand) if she really wants to, before committing to Canon. Obviously I don't know if it's the right decision for her.

Think the lenses she has are quite old and she had them 2nd hand cheap. Thats why she is letting my brother have them!! lol

I have told her! Have you tried arguing with a roty? lol

If I'm asked for advice, I won't argue. I'll say "this is my advice, use it or not", but I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince somebody who apparently respects my opinion enough to ask me what I think but then will make a decision based on a whim anyway. And it's happened to me a few times :)

Pub!! Bit early dont you think. Plus, regarding Sister in law it is not solved!! lol

If I'm asked for advice, I won't argue. I'll say "this is my advice, use it or not", but I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince somebody who apparently respects my opinion enough to ask me what I think but then will make a decision based on a whim anyway. And it's happened to me a few times :)

Quite a good policy. Give your advice, but let people make their own mind up. It's their camera. If nothing else, it avoid the recriminations and the "you talked me into this" bit if it doesn't work out for them:)

Well, she just rang me to say she has been offered a 40D body for £345. It is in A1 condition and has 3,500 actuations. She checked it on her laptop with eosinfo.

Quite a good policy. Give your advice, but let people make their own mind up. It's their camera. If nothing else, it avoid the recriminations and the "you talked me into this" bit if it doesn't work out for them:)

Exactly :)

Back