Sisters Wedding

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
No
So we all ventured up to Gretna last weekend for my sisters wedding, all 20 of us! It was a very small affair and I was just there to get a few candids, as a snapper was on hand to do some traditional formals, which of course I didn't want to get in the way of. I managed a quick 10 mins just walking round the garden with them later but it was quite an odd wedding and I really wasn't 'feeling it.' On that point, I have said it before, and so I shall say it again - hats off to you wedding pro's, it really is hard work, especially the speed of it all. My posing really does need to be worked on! Anyway, here's a couple, let me know what you think and there's a few more on my flickr if these work for you? I can see how some of the wedding snappers I admire are rubbing off on me!

Last edited:
I'll leave the critique to others, no point in making enemies :)

There's a disembodied hand in the second one- crop or clone it out.

I'll leave the critique to others, no point in making enemies :)

There's a disembodied hand in the second one- crop or clone it out.

Yes, I had noticed that, will sort out. Go for your life with the critique. There'e elements I wish were better but I am just a humble amateur :)

Yes, I had noticed that, will sort out. Go for your life with the critique. There'e elements I wish were better but I am just a humble amateur :)
So am I :)

Yup.

My sister has always hated having her picture taken, and she can be quite extreme with that. Noticed that she doesn't particularly smile much, or it's a little forced, which comes across on the pictures. Always amazes me how the small things make the difference in the end, but it's all part of the learning curve.

Last edited:
Yup.

My sister has always hated having her picture taken, and she can be quite extreme with that. Noticed that she doesn't particularly smile much, or it's a little forced, which comes across on the pictures. Always amazes me how the small things make the difference in the end, but it's all part of the learning curve.
Her smile looks quite natural in pic 3. Posing can cause people to become self conscious.

Some thoughts, FWIW. And yes I'm being very picky, as the technical side of things don't need any comment.

#1 - very nice, like this a lot.

#2 - did you shoot continuous and do you have other shots? Two bits of confetti over his face, and one over your sister's. Looks like your sister has been shot in her left shoulder.

#3 - a lovely natural moment captured. Whatever is OOF on the left is distracting. Square crop perhaps?

#4 - this sort of work IMO, but the angle and height of the groom make him look quite domineering.

All meant to help, not pick holes in your shots.

Some thoughts, FWIW. And yes I'm being very picky, as the technical side of things don't need any comment.

#2 - did you shoot continuous and do you have other shots? Two bits of confetti over his face, and one over your sister's. Looks like your sister has been shot in her left shoulder.

#3 - a lovely natural moment captured. Whatever is OOF on the left is distracting. Square crop perhaps?

#4 - this sort of work IMO, but the angle and height of the groom make him look quite domineering.

Can I ask ... Would you rather see the bride looking slightly more towards the camera instead of away from it?
In no way am I critical of the photo, I do like it .. just an opinion.

Can I ask ... Would you rather see the bride looking slightly more towards the camera instead of away from it?
In no way am I critical of the photo, I do like it .. just an opinion.

If you mean #1, I like it as it is. My interpretation of the shot is the view through the window representing the future she is contemplating. She could just be looking at a cow in a field :D

Confetti shots are pretty much the only thing I would machine gun, so yes there's others. I just felt the strength of the expression compared to others were the key decider over the odd annoying bits of confetti that inevitably get in the way. I guess I could edit them out.

Funny you mention the pink flower to the left of the frame. Just shooting through it to give it a little interest. Bet black and white could work too which I shall try.

The last one is not quite right and was wondering what views I got. The groom is too domineering in it, he's a big lad, but the angle doesn't help. In hindsight, I would have had them centred, between the converging lines, maybe facing together. Just tried it quickly, from the hip almost without enough thought behind it.

If you mean #1, I like it as it is. My interpretation of the shot is the view through the window representing the future she is contemplating. She could just be looking at a cow in a field :D

Tried a couple of interpretations of this shot. This just seemed a little simpler as she was giggling too much in the others as I cracked a joke about something other than a cow in the field. [emoji3]

#1 There was a great shot to be had there, but that's not it. You needed to be on the other side of her to make it work.
My interpretation of the shot is the view through the window representing the future she is contemplating.
Which is fine AFAIC - but that's the difference between a photographer and ordinary people. Jo Public will just wonder why, if it's a portrait of a bride, you can't see her face.

#2 Nothing wrong with that at all, and incidentally IMO you could have shot it to hell on continuous and still got nothing better. It's always a total lottery. Nice to see a couple exiting the right way round for once, and I note with interest that there's a brightly-coloured buggy parked just outside the door at a Gretna wedding too. Nice one losing that as well as you did.

#3 What's the blur? Despite that, AFAIC it's a very nice grab shot indeed.

#4 Nice. You did well to make that work.

HTH a bit :)

Last edited:
#1 There was a great shot to be had there, but that's not it. You needed to be on the other side of her to make it work.
Which is fine AFAIC - but that's the difference between a photographer and ordinary people. Jo Public will just wonder why, if it's a portrait of a bride, you can't see her face.

#2 Nothing wrong with that at all, and incidentally IMO you could have shot it to hell on continuous and still got nothing better. It's always a total lottery. Nice to see a couple exiting the right way round for once, and I note with interest that there's a brightly-coloured buggy parked just outside the door at a Gretna wedding too. Nice one losing that as well as you did.

#3 What's the blur? Despite that, AFAIC it's a very nice grab shot indeed.

#4 Nice. You did well to make that work.

HTH a bit :)

Thanks Dan. I might post up later the shot from the other side. I agree with your sentiment, I just don't think it was quite right because of her expression.

I have cropped it a little better than when I first viewed which has strengthened it. I shall take a more experienced view on it.

I have cropped it a little better than when I first viewed which has strengthened it. I shall take a more experienced view on it.

Kris, it all depends on how you're looking at it. As a photographer? As the bride's brother (with the advantage of knowing if the picture reflects the person)? Or as a wedding photographer?

If the latter, how you rate a picture isn't (or shouldn't be) as important as how your potential customers might be expected to react to it ;)

Back