Site Albums, should everyone have one?

It would be ok if I could comment on photos in the gallery, but it wont let me.

I'm not sure, but I think there's a facility to do so, but at the moment it appears to be switched off for all users (even with mod-access, I can't add a comment to anything) - this is probably something that @Marcel would need to answer - if he's switched it off, I'm sure its for a reason.

It would be ok if I could comment on photos in the gallery, but it wont let me.

We've got the crit forums for that. Comments on gallery images would basically be unsolicited. Best keep them to the forum threads where they are expected.

And, to add my 2-penorth to things.

IMO the TP Gallery system is a handy "extra" thing for people to have access to...

be it for a newcomer who hasn't already set up an account on Flickr for photo hosting and sharing, or for regulars who may want to keep their TP Gallery for specific technical or setup stuff that they may refer to, or, for use as the OP's initial premise... or maybe a little bit of all of it...

While I think it's a good thing for members to share photos - both on the sharing sections and via some form of gallery - be it our inbuilt one, or externally via Flickr, 500px or where ever - and for the very reasons put forward by the OP and David (amongst others) - It's not really feasible to compel people to have their shots online. I'd expect anyone who's a "working pro" to have a portfolio website of some sort, and we do encourage people to add a link to this in their profile, and allow linking in their post signatures. But for "the rest of us", it's down to our own personal preference...

I'll admit, when I get critique from someone, and I don't agree with it, then I'll have a little look at what they've posted before to get a "handle" on their particular field... serves a dual purpose of a) knowing what level to pitch my reply to them and b) allowing me time to think over what they have said, and decide if I think that they might actually be right-even if I don't necessarily like what they say... So, for me, I'd LOVE people to link to a gallery of their work SOMEWHERE - I just don't think that the TP Gallery is necessarily the best place to do it.

(as an aside, I also realised that, if someone clicked my "flickr" link, they would think that I was obsessed by Tour De France mock-up race-numbers, and snapshots of various cycling paraphenalia, as I'd linked direct to my "photostream" which has been recently used as something of a "bit bucket" and had all kinds of crap thrown at it. So, if nothing else, this thread has got me to link my signature to a specific Album in the flickrsphere, which holds work that's probably more representative of my overall output)

We've got the crit forums for that. Comments on gallery images would basically be unsolicited. Best keep them to the forum threads where they are expected.

That would be my guess why it's switched off, if I'm honest...

Again, my point was really about having a point of reference, be that a gallery on here or flickr or whatever. I use flickr a lot but it tends just to be a dumping ground for everything and personally I think something that gives a flavour of what I am trying to achieve creatively without the distraction of holiday snaps etc. is a good idea and I did consider 500px for that but got sick of the spam.

Thanks for all the relevant comments it's been interesting

That would be my guess why it's switched off, if I'm honest...

Which seems odd.
Comments are, often as not, unsolicited on Flickr and other sites as well.
Just odd having the facility there at all if it's unusable.

Which seems odd.
Comments are, often as not, unsolicited on Flickr and other sites as well.
Just odd having the facility there at all if it's unusable.

It's usable as a gallery to place images.

I'd say they're not unsolicited on Flickr, as you kind of know that's par for the course when you sign up.

It's usable as a gallery to place images.

I'd say they're not unsolicited on Flickr, as you kind of know that's par for the course when you sign up.

True, but you can decide who can view your images and therefore comment on them, or decide to keep all images private, choices also available when uploading here.

I can see where Chris was coming from with his original post. On the other hand, all this would show is whether the responder takes pictures that Chris likes, it wouldn't really have a direct bearing on how useful the advice given was.

When I designed data entry systems, many (often most) of the useful comments we received on prototypes came from people on the shop floor. They had no knowledge of computing but knew what they wanted to do with the finished product.

In the same way, it seems to me that people who look at pictures for pleasure, regardless of whether they themselves are "good" photographers, are as likely to provide useful feedback as someone who has posted a thousand pictures.

Back