Situation Mushroom

Edit My Images
Yes
So i bought a while ago a canon 60mm macro lens for my 500D because i love the world of macro, turns out though i just can't get the shots.

At the weekend i had a walk down a local valley and spotted these cute tiny mushrooms in a bed of moss, no matter what i changed i could get it in focus at all, here are the shots i got, if anyone can help point out where im going wrong that would be great :) thanks!

IMG_2149_zps261d885b.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2148_zps42b02d82.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2147_zps9afafd61.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2145_zpsd0112998.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2152_zps20b95e8a.jpg

My opinion would be (and I'm certainly no authority on the subject);

1. Best of the set - looks to be in focus to me
2. Looks like you have over exposed this one - what exposure mode are you using?
3. This is a nice composition but it is under exposed
4 & 5. Looks like you have missed the focus.

I would suggest that as you have a dedicated Macro lens that you try to get in closer as these look a little wide.

Based on the exposure issues above make sure you are comfortable in knowing how to obtain a good exposure i.e. what shooting modes to choose and where to meter etc. Then you can concentrate on the focus.

The thing with macro is that the area in focus is very shallow, it doesn't take much of a movement to be out of focus.

There is a good tutorial on Macro on the forum HERE

A thing I find helps. Frame the shot, when you have the composition, switch from A/F to manual focus to fine tune. From the moss fronds, they look about 2mm only? Set your DOF to just cover the cap, and spot meter and bracket the exposures. A reflector can balance the lighting, giving subtlety to the shot. I hope this helps?

Thank you, you've both helped plenty. I'll give your suggestions a go :)

Nick, thanks for that that tutorial

Back