Sixth Challenge for the days ahead

Nice shot and a lovely place (y)

( A few nice stakes there too Ed :D)

It was a lovely weekend to get out around our village with a camera. Here is my first...

Cimg6858b.jpg

Jenny

Like your third a lot Jenny, I would be tempted to clone out the white bits at the top of the gate though and the white blob above the fence to the left.

Okay lets introduce an urban gateway :)

From my trip to Walthamstow on Sunday!

3304109663_f9743196af_o.jpg

Only a snap on the way home from focus 2009.

Theres something special about lychgates isnt there :)

heres the definition of one

A roofed gateway to a churchyard used originally as a resting place for a bier before burial

Okay lets introduce an urban gateway :)

From my trip to Walthamstow on Sunday!

urban gritty gateway (y) Very nice, hdr too :)

Was going to take my gritty gate today, I pass it every day to work, but sadly it was raining!

Like your third a lot Jenny, I would be tempted to clone out the white bits at the top of the gate though and the white blob above the fence to the left.

Many thanks for your feedback, Ed. I agree with you and gave some consideration to cloning them out (cows, btw), but thought I may make a mess of it.

Anyway, I have given it a try and it does look better but it would probably look better if the dark bits were cloned out as well. However, there is too much of them to clone out naturally so I have left them in.

Note to self - ask the cows to move next time before I take the shot!

Jenny

Theres something special about lychgates isnt there :)

heres the definition of one

A roofed gateway to a churchyard used originally as a resting place for a bier before burial

LOL, I also took a lychgate picture but decided not to use it after seeing Ed's!

I had no idea what lychgates were for. Was the roof to protect the coffin from the elements?

Jenny

LOL, I also took a lychgate picture but decided not to use it after seeing Ed's!

Well you should of done :)

I had no idea what lychgates were for. Was the roof to protect the coffin from the elements?

Jenny

I suppose so......dont lychgates sometimes have benches inside too?

Post your Jenny love to see it

ED hasnt entered a Lytch Gate, think its mine where he told me I posted it twice, please edit your post Ed its confusing people ;)

I think it looks better without the white bits (y)

Like the Urban gateway John (y)

Post your Jenny love to see it

ED hasnt entered a Lytch Gate, think its mine where he told me I posted it twice, please edit your post Ed its confusing people ;)

I think it looks better without the white bits (y)

Like the Urban gateway John (y)

Sorry, Dave. Yes, it is yours. Nice one too.

I've entered my three so I will skip the lychgate.

Jenny

I'm feeling a bit lonely - one urban image amongst all these lovely countryside shots :)

I do love a lychgate :) and looked it up based on jenny's query (just elaborating on Pat's definition) - this was all new to me :)

The word lych survived into modern English from the Old English or Saxon word for corpse mostly as an adjective in particular phrases or names, such as lych bell, the hand-bell rung before a corpse; lych way, the path along which a corpse was carried to burial (this in some districts was supposed to establish a right-of-way); lych owl, the screech owl, because its cry was a portent of death; and lyke-wake, a night watch over a corpse (see Lyke-Wake Dirge).

In the Middle Ages most people were buried in just shrouds rather than coffins, the dead were carried to the lych gate and placed on a bier, where the priest conducted the first part of the funeral service under its temporary shelter.

The word lych survived into modern English from the Old English or Saxon word for corpse mostly as an adjective in particular phrases or names, such as lych bell, the hand-bell rung before a corpse; lych way, the path along which a corpse was carried to burial ; lych owl, the screech owl, because its cry was a portent of death; and lyke-wake, a night watch over a corpse .

Blimey I bet EdBray knew that already :p Thanks for expanding D Star

these are great Spider. Love them...especially No.2 (y)

Not new, so not for inclusion in the compo, but a couple of my favourite gateways.

Rhodes Old Gate

RhodesOldGate-1.jpg

Spinalonga, last European leper colony.

DSCF1364-1.jpg

Well, this is my first ever attempt at a challenge, so here goes...

They were taken today in the only available 30 mins of daylight time i've had all week, so please excuse the random nature of them...

1. Now I know this is a door fixing so may not qualify.

2009-02-26Gateways1.jpg

2. More conventional gate shot:

2009-02-26Gateways4.jpg

3. And a pano crop to finish:

2009-02-26-Gateways-3.jpg

Great set Rob (y) Love the DOF in No.2 and the simplicity of it. The train is a great interpretation of the theme :)

Well it's about time I gave this ago so heres my first entry.

3311877657_df1f28e3fd_o.jpg

WOW! Thats an impressive gate! Where is it exactly?

It's at the entrance to China Town here in Newcastle.
The light on it chages colour red blue and green quite a site.

Here's my attempts

Gated Tree
IMG_2420.jpg

Gateway to the field
IMG_2429.jpg

Gateway to the underworld
IMG_2438.jpg

Another nice set from jgs01. Like the gated tree best!

and I like your Rhodes gate Ed.(y)

Off to take a quick pic of a gate not far from my office. Suns shining and its a lovely day. Just need to find out how my new camera works :help: :LOL:

At a guess, Ed's 5D mkII got it together with Pat's 400D and spawned a 40D. Don't tell her husband :LOL:

LOL Heppers :LOL: :LOL: and wheres your canal shot gone silly. Judgings over the weekend :wacky:

Took these quickly on way back home today. I pass this on the way to work every day. :)

Theres some really good ones this week!

Well I've been waiting all week for inspiration to strike and.....nothing! Just a bad photography week I guess. Heres my efforts this week.:)

Anna

1. Gateway to the playground

IMG_6534web.jpg

2. Gateway to somewhere a bit yacky

IMG_6543web.jpg

3. Yes, its another lytch gate (i think?)..

IMG_6552web.jpg

Back