Size matters - my dilemma...

They probably equate size with quality. Small camera equals pish quality, big camera equals great quality.

Except no-one said that. An SLR, even an little APSC one is just nicer to use and hold than one of these daft little boxes with a flickering screen for a view finder.There is no doubt that modern sensors, even small ones, can give good results, but the modern SLR body is the best thing to hold the sensor, not one of these silly little mirrorless boxes that are hyped up yet never sell that well because they are sh*te.

Except these silly little cameras remain on the fringe and SLR's massively outsell them and will continue to do so until we have no choice to use these silly little cameras with flickering view finders and tiny little uninteligible controls.

Unless lenses suddenly massively get smaller these silly little cameras offer little weight advantage, particularly if you use 35mm sensors or bigger.

Not impossible no and many have managed to do so. And yes I've had the misfortune of using these silly little camera's from Sony and Fuji and honestly give me an SLR sized things with a logical lay out (Canon and Nikon do ths well) and an optical finder and I am happy as are most people. SLR's outsell these silly little things for a reason, because they are better and simpler to use.

I have the D850 and EM1 and the controls on the EM1 are no more difficult to use than those on the D850, in fact some of the controls feel nicer. The A7RIII I tried wasn't small and fiddly (although there wasn't enough room between the grip and lens for me) and the XT1 I also owned wasn't any more fiddly than my Nikon. In fact one of the most fiddly controls I've used was the drive mode dial on the D750.

I think it's just a matter of time now for mirrorless to out sell DSLR, the majority have just been waiting for Canikon to join the party. Flickering EVF's are also becoming a thing of the past, the A7RIII and A9 with their faster refresh rate has pretty much taken care of that.

I have the D850 and EM1 and the controls on the EM1 are no more difficult to use than those on the D850, in fact some of the controls feel nicer. The A7RIII I tried wasn't small and fiddly (although there wasn't enough room between the grip and lens for me) and the XT1 I also owned wasn't any more fiddly than my Nikon. In fact one of the most fiddly controls I've used was the drive mode dial on the D750.

I think it's just a matter of time now for mirrorless to out sell DSLR, the majority have just been waiting for Canikon to join the party. Flickering EVF's are also becoming a thing of the past, the A7RIII and A9 with their faster refresh rate has pretty much taken care of that.

Except Nikon tried this in the past with the one series, and the masses continued to buy SLRs and they will continue to do so unless no other choice is given.

It's like these electric cars, some buy them, but most still buy the petrol or diesel ones because people are naturally conservative in buying habits. Car makers bang on and on about electric cars, but sell sweet FA of them compared to diesels and petrols. It's the same with these camera's.

Last edited:
Not impossible no and many have managed to do so. And yes I've had the misfortune of using these silly little camera's from Sony and Fuji and honestly give me an SLR sized things with a logical lay out (Canon and Nikon do ths well) and an optical finder and I am happy as are most people. SLR's outsell these silly little things for a reason, because they are better and simpler to use.

Do you think it is impossible to take a professional quality photo using an SLR with a larger sensor? II'm genuinely interested in your answer, and if you've ever "properly" used one?

Not at all.

It's possible to take a professional quality photo with any camera on market today if you:

• Use the correct lens for the job
  • Know what you're doing

Yes, I've had Full Frame cameras from Nikon and Canon and enjoyed using them all and had some good results.

I've gone to M43 (Olympus) purely due to size and weight issues. I was finding the heavy L lenses and such like were causing me back pain and consequently I was leaving the gear more often than not in the car or at home.

I firmly believe it's each to their own.

From a personal point of view I actually prefer the EVF, certainly on my camera (there's no flicker by the way - they've got better) and find it easier to obtain a good image in camera rather than relying on lots of PP work.

The size is a revelation, as are the lenses.

In the studio Each of my lenses (barring the Samyang fisheye) are perfectly usable and sharp as a needle in my experience.

Obviously in low light a good full frame camera will trump the smaller sensor camera but there's no getting away from the laws of physics.

Now I've had the EM5MK2 nearly a year I'm relatively au fait with the menu system and once you get used to it it's really quick to configure (1 button accesses most of the controls you need on the fly).

I didn't get on with Fuji to be honest but only due the artifacts and waxy skin issues I experienced.

Except Nikon tried this in the past with the one series, and the masses continued to buy SLRs and they will continue to do so unless no other choice is given.

It's like these electric cars, some buy them, but most still buy the petrol or diesel ones because people are naturally conservative in buying habits. Car makers bang on and on about electric cars, but sell sweet FA of them compared to diesels and petrols.
Nikon tried with a small format and not matching DSLR in terms of performance, but it appears that they are now taking it seriously. Sony have clearly done all the leg work, and now that mirrorless are on par performance wise Canikon appear to be interested. I don't think DSLR will die out any time soon, but I do feel it won't be 'that' long before mirrorless start to outsell DSLR. There's too many advantages of mirrorless over DSLR for manufacturers not to develop them. It sounds as though Nikon have listened to the complaint of balance with larger lenses and initial reports suggest that the new Nikon mirrorless will be a bit larger than the A7's. Looking at the sneak peaks though it would appear that they've removed the rear control dial, which would (imo) be a huge mistake, although we'll obviously have to wait until it's properly revealed to know for sure.

Nikon tried with a small format and not matching DSLR in terms of performance, but it appears that they are now taking it seriously. Sony have clearly done all the leg work, and now that mirrorless are on par performance wise Canikon appear to be interested. I don't think DSLR will die out any time soon, but I do feel it won't be 'that' long before mirrorless start to outsell DSLR. There's too many advantages of mirrorless over DSLR for manufacturers not to develop them. It sounds as though Nikon have listened to the complaint of balance with larger lenses and initial reports suggest that the new Nikon mirrorless will be a bit larger than the A7's. Looking at the sneak peaks though it would appear that they've removed the rear control dial, which would (imo) be a huge mistake, although we'll obviously have to wait until it's properly revealed to know for sure.

They're cheaper to make which is why they are keen on them but 2.8 zooms and fast primes are large and heavy, for handholding the large slr body balances this lens mass very well. Unless they can make these stable lenses a lot lighter, it will be a big problem. For M4/3 this is less of an issue but for 35mm and larger sensors not so sure.

They're cheaper to make which is why they are keen on them but 2.8 zooms and fast primes are large and heavy, for handholding the large slr body balances this lens mass very well. Unless they can make these stable lenses a lot lighter, it will be a big problem. For M4/3 this is less of an issue but for 35mm and larger sensors not so sure.
I think this is exactly why Nikon appear to be making a larger body with a deeper grip. All rumours suggest that they want users to be able to use longer heavier lenses with it. Time will tell of course.

I think this is exactly why Nikon appear to be making a larger body with a deeper grip. All rumours suggest that they want users to be able to use longer heavier lenses with it. Time will tell of course.

Which means it will be pretty much sized and weighted like a D850...which begs the question...why wouldn't you get the SLR?

Because, irrespective of the pros and cons of sensor size, weight, ergonomics etc, having greater choice will probably equate to more photographers getting out there and enjoying it. And that can only be a good thing.

They probably equate size with quality. Small camera equals pish quality, big camera equals great quality.

The pros or Joe public? Or they're both as dumb?

Thought it was amusing at a recent family gathering when I allowed a few people to go take some pics with my weensy little G80. First off, they were surprised how weighty it was for it's size, then they were all 'ooh' and 'Ahhh' when I suggested looking through the evf instead of using the LCD - as it's just as bright and clear - no flickering nonsense here! - and then delighted when they seen the results, especially the 'bokeh' which is easily achieved using that tiny toy sensor. Mine were the only images from the day that got shared around, bunch of people using my images as their profile pic - and there was about 500 phone cams in force on the day

Except no-one said that. An SLR, even an little APSC one is just nicer to use and hold than one of these daft little boxes with a flickering screen for a view finder.There is no doubt that modern sensors, even small ones, can give good results, but the modern SLR body is the best thing to hold the sensor, not one of these silly little mirrorless boxes that are hyped up yet never sell that well because they are sh*te.

You sound like a dinosaur. You've never used a mirrorless camera have you? That, or you're eyes are wonky and maybe you need a check up?

Bet it won't have mirror up mode.

Won't be any good for long exposures :)

Funnily enough two great practical advantages of mirrorless that almost never get mentioned are:
1. Not having to cover the viewfinder for long exposures with extraneous light around
2. Never having to go through the tedious rigmarole of lens calibration ever again.

Those two are worth the asking price alone!

I'm back with a DSLR at present after a spell with Fuji mirrorless and it sort of does relate to what Steve is getting at. I loved a lot of things about the Fuji but I never felt at home using it like I do with a Nikon DSLR. The Nikon stuff is totally charmless and feels old fashioned but everything is where I expect it. Don't know if that's just me and my muscle memory or if it's a triumph of ergonomics.

Touché given you’ve failed to read my posts regarding my useage of them.

My eyesight will be better than yours, as is my ability to read and reason.

Why would I read your blathering rants that aren't aimed at me? It's hard not to notice the silly points you're failing to make in between though. If you're seeing flickering on the more up to date mirrorless evfs, then it is more likely your eyes because they are crystal clear.

everything is where I expect it. Don't know if that's just me and my muscle memory or if it's a triumph of ergonomics.
Excuse the snip ... but the answer is probably both :)

OP I went through a similar exercise not that long ago and trialled a Fuji XT-2 - lots to like about it, but for reasons no doubt similar to Graham's above, I stayed put with my Nikon. Maybe the new mirrorless from Nikon will be the answer. The only time I struggle is if I'm hand holding for long periods of time, but I suspect I may struggle even with a lighter system. Getting the weight squarely on my back means carrying to and from location is not much of an issue.

Why would I read your blathering rants that aren't aimed at me? It's hard not to notice the silly points you're failing to make in between though..

Err - so you don't come accross like a fool by asking a question asked and answered already?

If you're seeing flickering on the more up to date mirrorless evfs, then it is more likely your eyes because they are crystal clear.

But they are not. They're not as good as an OVF, they let in much more dirt onto sensor on account of not having a mirror in the way, they tend to have small lousy controls etc etc and hence why I described them as silly and little, because that is what I think they are.

Last edited:
Why would I read your blathering rants that aren't aimed at me? It's hard not to notice the silly points you're failing to make in between though. If you're seeing flickering on the more up to date mirrorless evfs, then it is more likely your eyes because they are crystal clear.

What's the point in arguing Keith?

Can't you debate eloquently?

What's the point in arguing Keith?

Can't you debate eloquently?

You worry about your own posts how about that?

Err - so you don't come accross like a fool by asking a question asked and answered already?

But they are not. They're not as good as an OVF, they let in much more dirt onto sensor on account of not having a mirror in the way, they tend to have small lousy controls etc etc and hence why I described them as silly and little, because that is what I think they are.

Any 'question' I put would be rhetorical, only a fool wouldn't notice that ;) it wasn't even a question to begin with btw so ... Touché [I can mi-use that too]

I've used many OVF, I was pleasantly surprised when I switched to EVF, it was one of the things I was wary of. As for controls, Look at Fuji bodies for example, what's lacking? You might really believe what you're saying but it comes across as trolling tbh. Your opinion and all that, my posts are just mine. But saying "silly little boxes" in every other post is just plain silly and baiting.

Each to their own, not my job to try convince stubborn people so have at it.

Last edited:
I can see the point of small cameras. You can stick them in all sorts of weird places, mount on drones, cars, etc. It is very enabling and the quality is getting very good.

I was generally very anti-mirrorless until this year until I've seen Sony A7III. It is a massive improvement over anything available previously. AF works, viewfinder is finally useable. Also it got bigger and bulkier. Then there is A9 and it is even bigger. Oh and the lenses. They are almost Canon / Nikon size. So it gets more comfortable to handhold and operate. But see that comes from it growing up and it will keep doing so until you basically end up with a D850 without a mirror.

But then I have to ask myself why would I want a new system and something that is second best in all but sensor tech? At least I could adapt my Canon lenses, but I'm sure they are better on native system already. I have big hands, and I don't complain carrying shopping, handling tools and all sorts of things. So why should I snivel at working with a decent camera system that feels both comfortable, well weighted and clearly laid out?! In fact I'd prefer to handhold a 1DX body, but on tripod 5D (no grip) has serious advantages.

IQ-wise I am positively sure all pro-level (full frame and medium format) cameras these days are perfectly capable delivering top notch results. The rest is down to user really.
APS-C is sort of close, but many are setup for prosumer (too vivid colours, poorer or fake looking DR) and will usually ship with very primitive optics. I had to work with some files from APS-C sony E mount and while the potential is there you always have to dial it all back in post before adding back colour and contrast and consumer level lenses are just awful.

Seriously?

You only had to ask what eloquent meant you know. No shame in it

I know what it means, and you certainly don't ever show examples of it. Being a smart ass doesn't suit you either, it comes naturally to me though. There's nothing eloquent about any of your posts so you're not in a place to preach. Did you not understand my response? should I elaborate more? you only have to ask. Worry about how you phrase your own posts before trying to lecture. Now, is that simplistic enough?

It seems you are the one trying to provoke silly arguments now, ironic much?

Ever used a M43 body properly? Thought not.

So eloquent :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Which means it will be pretty much sized and weighted like a D850...which begs the question...why wouldn't you get the SLR?
I have the D850 and it does pretty much everything I want. However, DSLRs (at least Nikon DSLRs) have two 'issues' that mirrorless would solve. Firstly, as good as the AF spread is mirrorless is better. Also, Nikon's liveview is shocking. Add to this the extra benefits of EVF (although far from essential) such as live histogram, peaking, focus zoom, DX crop view, etc then all of a sudden mirrorless seems like the better option. Granted I too like looking through OVF's, but I have to say I was mighty impressed with the EVF of the A7Riii and at times you can be conned into thinking you're looking through an OVF, it was genuinely that good imo. You then get other benefits (for some) such as silent shooting (at all times), no viewfinder blackout in burst mode, higher frame rates, faster shutter speeds, eye tracking and probably a few other things I've missed out.

I feel like we've pretty much reached the limit of what DSLRs can do but there's much more that mirrorless can do, and no doubt eventually do everything better than DLSR. The one big question with mirrorless is ergonomics, can they get it right? Olympus have with the EM1 imo, but obviously they don't have the same big heavy lenses. Can Canikon do it that also work with big lenses? I don't understand why (if the mock up is anything close to being real) why Nikon are changing the layout so radically. What they have now just works.

See my bit above about the latest top of the line EVFs, but as I've mentioned already many mirrorless don't have small lousy controls, not the high end ones anyway.

I have the D850 and it does pretty much everything I want. However, DSLRs (at least Nikon DSLRs) have two 'issues' that mirrorless would solve. Firstly, as good as the AF spread is mirrorless is better. Also, Nikon's liveview is shocking. Add to this the extra benefits of EVF (although far from essential) such as live histogram, peaking, focus zoom, DX crop view, etc then all of a sudden mirrorless seems like the better option. Granted I too like looking through OVF's, but I have to say I was mighty impressed with the EVF of the A7Riii and at times you can be conned into thinking you're looking through an OVF, it was genuinely that good imo. You then get other benefits (for some) such as silent shooting (at all times), no viewfinder blackout in burst mode, higher frame rates, faster shutter speeds, eye tracking and probably a few other things I've missed out.

I feel like we've pretty much reached the limit of what DSLRs can do but there's much more that mirrorless can do, and no doubt eventually do everything better than DLSR. The one big question with mirrorless is ergonomics, can they get it right? Olympus have with the EM1 imo, but obviously they don't have the same big heavy lenses. Can Canikon do it that also work with big lenses? I don't understand why (if the mock up is anything close to being real) why Nikon are changing the layout so radically. What they have now just works.

See my bit above about the latest top of the line EVFs, but as I've mentioned already many mirrorless don't have small lousy controls, not the high end ones anyway.

I think from the technological point of view it is rather irrelevant if the mirror is there or not for the evolution of sensor and the imaging technology in sensor.

Canon is uniquely in a position to offer a combination package with its dual pixel AF and the mirror still in place.

The real advance will manifest in a form of global shutter control with all the incredible goodies that will bring. It is 100% compatible with old dSLRs - all you need is just fancy sensor, CPU and clever software.

Way ahead after that you are looking at composite sensor + lens arrays pretty much covering the whole back of the today's smarthpone or any other appliances surface. And it need not be limited to visible light. That will leapfrog the mirrors and will have crazy capabilities. Seeing through the walls and beyond... if you want to of course. I just wonder if that comes is 10 years to or maybe 20 to the pro/consumer market.

I think from the technological point of view it is rather irrelevant if the mirror is there or not for the evolution of sensor and the imaging technology in sensor.

Canon is uniquely in a position to offer a combination package with its dual pixel AF and the mirror still in place.

The real advance will manifest in a form of global shutter control with all the incredible goodies that will bring. It is 100% compatible with old dSLRs - all you need is just fancy sensor, CPU and clever software.

Way ahead after that you are looking at composite sensor + lens arrays pretty much covering the whole back of the today's smarthpone or any other appliances surface. And it need not be limited to visible light. That will leapfrog the mirrors and will have crazy capabilities. Seeing through the walls and beyond... if you want to of course. I just wonder if that comes is 10 years to or maybe 20 to the pro/consumer market.

Nope, Sony offered this and sensor stabilisation many years ago.

Last edited:
Nope, Sony offered this and sensor stabilisation in body many years ago.

Do you mean the SLTs? They had the worst of both worlds - dark viewfinder, and second or third rate AF that was actually based on the mirror. So no, not really... not the right way around or they wouldn't be pretty much converging all their camera offerings to E mount which is a far better system it has to be said.

Do you mean the SLTs? They had the worst of both worlds - dark viewfinder, and second or third rate AF that was actually based on the mirror. So no, not really... not the right way around or they wouldn't be pretty much converging all their camera offerings to E mount which is a far better system it has to be said.

They had fast hybrid af years before canikon didn't they? A580 has fast live view, that had a mirror, the newer SLT are very good. Dark evf?

Sony could never compete with canikon market share so they had to do something completely different and hope it worked... And it finally is.

The e mount system is better but Sony developed these concepts and sold them ages ago. It's taken a while for anyone to improve on their old tech/offer a good alternative like DP.

Last edited:
Wow what a lot of bickering and baiting going on . The two things that’s really been left out of the arguments are menu systems ,I have both Panasonic and Olympus bodies now and believe me once you actually delve deeply into them they make Nikon’s and especially canons DSLR offerings look like toys , and next the actual finished Product I.e the photo files , I can’t really notice any difference if any mft users posted there’s finished pics without exif data or stating camera used would anyone just viewing the photos know what was used or for that matter really care

Wow what a lot of bickering and baiting going on . The two things that’s really been left out of the arguments are menu systems ,I have both Panasonic and Olympus bodies now and believe me once you actually delve deeply into them they make Nikon’s and especially canons DSLR offerings look like toys , and next the actual finished Product I.e the photo files , I can’t really notice any difference if any mft users posted there’s finished pics without exif data or stating camera used would anyone just viewing the photos know what was used or for that matter really care

I’ve used both Panasonic and Olympus menus and compared to Canons they’re absolute garbage.

It's not important as far as outright sensor tech is concerned, but as far as technological advancement it is imo. Yes Canon had dual pixel for live view but you don't get the benefits of EVF (histogram, eye AF, zero blackout, peaking, zoom etc) plus frame rate and shutter speed will have a mechanical limit with DSLRs, not that 14fps isn't enough of course ;)

As for Sony SLT it's a great system imo, I was very happy with my A77 and A77-II. Worked very well (including the AF), just the slight reduced noise handling. The EVF wasn't dark either. The A99-II is a bit of a Beast too, 42mp FF sensor shooting at 12fps with top notch AF system and 5 axis sensor stabilisation, not too shabby (y)

Last edited:
I’ve used both Panasonic and Olympus menus and compared to Canons they’re absolute garbage.

Panasonic's menus could not be simpler, they are as easy to work through as Fuji's - I have never used a Canon [could be in my plans yet] but saying others are 'garbage' just because you fond one better is OTT. I don't like Olympus menus, but after a couple days I could fly through them, just like any menu system - the less time you need to spend using them the better no matter

Is it a case of what you're used to? Get Olympus set up with the SCP and it's a cinch imo (y)

Oh well what do I know ,only had about twenty different Nikon’s and around 30+ plus canons over the years . One thing I do know is you can’t debate with fan boys on here sensibly

No menu structure is going to be simple when cameras have so many options these days, you have a main page, sub page then functions. They are all similar with more or less options.

If menus are needed that often then the operator needs to sort out their fn buttons, recalls and quick menus.

Oh well what do I know ,only had about twenty different Nikon’s and around 30+ plus canons over the years . One thing I do know is you can’t debate with fan boys on here sensibly

So that makes you the definitive authority on menus does it? No M4/3 fanboy you’re quite right you can’t debate with you sensibly.

No menu structure is going to be simple when cameras have so many options these days, you have a main page, sub page then functions. They are all similar with more or less options.

If menus are needed that often then the operator needs to sort out their fn buttons, recalls and quick menus.

The menu I've actually used by far the most was Nikon's, and I never had any issues, I found Fuji's weird after so many years of that. Now I would say Fuji's is as straight forward as you can get. It has a lot to do with what you get accustomed to. I have heard others moan about touch screen for menus, but ... once you use a fully compatibly touch screen menu, it's hard go back. Something I used to say was a gimmick hooked me right away with the G80. It's every bit as good as using a smart phone, so fluid, zero lag, really a pleasure to use. I even use it to move my focus points, I find anything else now a PITA. And it's annoying, as between that, the excellent IBIS and overall ergonomics I love the camera .... but there's cons that have me looking elsewhere. How much will the menu system of wherever I decide to go eventually affect my choice? ... I can't lie, it is a factor, just not a major one.

It's not important as far as outright sensor tech is concerned, but as far as technological advancement it is imo. Yes Canon had dual pixel for live view but you don't get the benefits of EVF (histogram, eye AF, zero blackout, peaking, zoom etc) plus frame rate and shutter speed will have a mechanical limit with DSLRs, not that 14fps isn't enough of course ;)

I find all those fancy EVF features are mainly very detracting in my opinion. I got to see them and frankly you put the camera down and then almost blindly compose from what you see. The grid lines and a few AF point triangles is the most I am prepared to put up in the main viewfinder view. I don't mind all the useful text underneath as it is outside of the view.
I would want the AF to do the work, not fancy zoom in, and I think eye AF is a little bit of a gimmick.
I think all those features are great if the EVF is mirrored to ipad or at least larger smartphone for sure.
Histogram is sort of over the top for EVF. unless they really shrunk it down in the corner. As far as my Canon is concerned, post-capture histogram is enough, but I would like to see the actual histogram for the whole image, not JPEG thumbnail!!!! This is next to useless.

There is no reason why you should rely entirely on shutter for very fast capture or any capture at all. Once the global shutter is in, the mechanical one only becomes a protective feature which would quickly disappear or simplify.
In fact with the dual mode camera you can lift up the mirror and shoot like mirrorless with dual pixel AF support looking through EVF while still retaining all standard dSLR functionality and features.

Of course the EVFs will get even bigger and better. And they need to. One day there will be no more need for mirror. But not yet.

You can select what assist show up ion the evf, you can have it as minimal as you desire with most mirrorless cameras - they are a direct double of whatever you have set to the LCD, and just the tap of a button can add or remove any info you need, or not. Atm mine only shows the SS, ISO, exp. comp and aperture, and very discreetly too. Just plain text right at the bottom, nothing more.

they are a direct double of whatever you have set to the LCD.

They should be separate but maybe this is the limitation of the graphics chip they use. I think using EVF vs LCD is as different as iphone vs ipad so there should be different modes for each.

It will be very interesting indeed to see Nikon and Canon versions.... things are about to get interesting, while at the same time I almost couldn't care less since my kit works just fine.

Back