size of folder

Name
bill
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all i have to load a folder of pics onto a usb drive can i use lightroom to show me what size of usb stick to buy
thanks
Bill

If this is a PC, just use explorer to find the folder......right click on and go to "properties" for the number files and total size.

PS unsure if LR has that function but why complicate a simple check procedure.

PPS I would think on a Mac you can do similar to what I say above .

Last edited:
If this is a PC, just use explorer to find the folder......right click on and go to "properties" for the number files and total size.

PS unsure if LR has that function but why complicate a simple check procedure.

PPS I would think on a Mac you can do similar to what I say above .

thanks for the answer but im not sure that will work as i have moved the "keepers" into a collection, when i right click and go to "show in explorer" it shows me the original folder, not the collection foldrer

thanks for the answer but im not sure that will work as i have moved the "keepers" into a collection, when i right click and go to "show in explorer" it shows me the original folder, not the collection foldrer
Ah! AFAIK a LR collection is, so to speak, a virtual folder i.e. it only exists in the way LR handles the database of files. I stand to be corrected but such is my understanding.

As it is virtual there is no way of measuring its size or transfering 'physically' .

Suggest exporting the whole collection to a large drive with lots of space (your data drive?) in whatever format the images are needed (original, raw, jpeg etc). Then you can size the folder that everything's been exported to (right click+properties). Bonus is that it's easy to transfer once you've bought the pen drive. Drag 'n' drop.

If you make a folder in the folders section of the library and then select and drag the images from the collection into that folder. Right click and select properties it will show you the total size of the images in the folder. However that is the RAW size, if you export as TIFF or JPEG to your USB then obviously it will be different.

If you make a folder in the folders section of the library and then select and drag the images from the collection into that folder. Right click and select properties it will show you the total size of the images in the folder. However that is the RAW size, if you export as TIFF or JPEG to your USB then obviously it will be different.

Is this applicable to all versions of LR? By that I mean V6 perpetual license as well as both CC & Classic CC.

Is this applicable to all versions of LR? By that I mean V6 perpetual license as well as both CC & Classic CC.

I don't know, I only have Classis CC. I've never had a need to find out how big a folder is. I guess that you can't do it with a collection as the images can be spread over various folders and it's only a virtual folder effectively not a defined folder that's on your hard drive.

I don't know, I only have Classis CC. I've never had a need to find out how big a folder is. I guess that you can't do it with a collection as the images can be spread over various folders and it's only a virtual folder effectively not a defined folder that's on your hard drive.

I have LR6 so may have to test "it", I am slowly creating collections and if it is possible to do as you describe to create a sub set copyable group of files for archiving/backup then I can see a use & benefit to it.

As noted in my post above in answer to the OP, good to get your confirmation that a "collection" is only a virtual folder :)

Back