Skiddaw at Sunrise this morning

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
I started the week with a pre work trip over to the Lake District, and I thought it would only be fitting to end the week in the same way.
I am really not enjoying the 3.30am alarm call though...
Headed over to Ullswater initially, with a view to climb Sheffield Pike or Helvellyn, but strangely, there was no mist at all, so a quick U turn and headed to Latrigg, for a boost up Skiddaw to get above the inversion.
I only had a 5 minute turnaround to put the shots on the computer, and process them, so these will be really rough, but I thought I'd share something before the weekend.

1) First light on Bowfell, Crinkle Crags and others
skiddaw-4 by Matt White, on Flickr

2) Swirling mist surrounding Blencathra
skiddaw-2 by Matt White, on Flickr

3) Just pastels
skiddaw-3 by Matt White, on Flickr

4) The sun breaking as I made my way back down to Latrigg.
skiddaw-17 by Matt White, on Flickr

Apologies if the processing is a bit rough, I'll not get chance to look at them properly until Sunday now, at the earliest.
Have a good weekend all.

Last edited:
Really nice shots buddy. #1is definately my pick, the other 3 don't have the same worldie qualities. Great effort, you da big dog now innit.

Bring on Glyder!!

Cheers pal, yeah, I hope the forecast treats us better in Wales than the past two trips.
I think the pano from this morning is going to be the winner in the end. Always seems to be the case with the high level stuff.
Thanks mate

Wow the first one, all the drama of being on top of a mountain. Love the early morning light on top of the peaks. I would add its a shame there's no cloud in the sky but your above it :D

although I think a little cropping would improve the middle pic's , they are without a doubt stunning pictures

Cracking stuff Matty
I was up an hour after you for work today.

#1 stunning and sure there is something more to come from the others.
Though at 3-30 my CPAP machine was working hard on my sleep apnoea as it was at 9 :)

No1 is the killer shot here for me mate, dig that light across crinkle crags all underlined with that inversion layer pouring over Skiddaw under you feet how good is that! I love this shot, that light picking up on the snowy peaks. Then No4 like the way the sun is highlighting the inversion and the strong contrasting diagonal, works well for me.

Another vote for #1 Matt great place to be, did you manage one with yourself in the frame against that epic foreground?

Last edited:
Back