Skiing in Whistler - first attempt at AI Servo on 5d3

Edit My Images
Yes
A few pics from a recent trip to whistler where I tried out the AI Servo mode on the 5d mkIII properly for the first time. Really pleased with the results - these were taken using ZoneAF and 'Case 2: Continue to focus-track even when the subject momentarily moves from the AF points' from the AF menu. I've also posted some Whistler HDR landscapes here if anyone's interested.

[1]
i-JrFbZmS.jpg

[2]
i-rG8DMNH.jpg

[3]
i-PCJ6FbD.jpg

[4]
i-LqxFFzm.jpg

[5]
i-DwJBZGX.jpg

Last edited:
Good exposure on subject & good whites, not all that easy with all the surrounding brightness which tends to leave the subject underexposed if settings not tweaked accordingly.

I like the fact they are nice & sharp with good exposure as mentioned - your camera skills are fine but for me the composition needs a fair amount of work.

By Skiing ahead & waiting for your subject you lose depth, speed, drama, & excitement.

Try taking the pics at the same level as your subject & Pan with them,

The final Pic - the person is a little lost in the background & you have lost all sensation of the jump in the picture.

Mmm. The first skier could do with more hip angulation which would help avoid the A frame ie knees touching. Also, she might try to keep her hands more in front of her at all times to avoid the inside hand dropping behind on turns.

The second skier's in the back seat, anything bigger and he might have eaten it.

Oh....the pics? Rather lovely actually!

Oops. Yes, I meant the 3rd skier! 2nd skier's stance looks quite good actually.

Yep - the first skier is obviously using her arms to pivot her hips to assist her turn...
Caused by sitting down too much, not enough weight forward so she is not on the front of her boots, making turning more difficult than it really is.

Pictures just don't lie do they...lol

Cough,..........we're not supposed to comment on the subject!

I agree with Ady, I think they are good and I think you have done well in demanding conditions!

Nice pics
3 is my fave as the spray and the dynamic shape the skier is making give it some drama.
On the last one either he absorbed it or a shot a split second later or earlier might have had more excitement, with perhaps a tighter crop too.
(Ski clinic wise: the subject of 1&4 might focus on feeling for edge grip, as this will reduce the skidding that is causing the defensive posture. Perhaps on a pair of tight carvers) :)
I think you have a nice mix of close ups, and atmospheric 'skier in scenery' images.

Nice set, technically good, sharp, frozen.

Slightly less keen on #1 & #3, looks like the skier is skiing out of the photograph.

Back