Wales Skokholm

Not been to Skolholm myself (stayed on Skomer several times). When I looked into it I gather with Skokholm there’s more chance to be storm bound so you have to plan for that issue both for arrival and departure.

One thing I would say is I saw a tweet by Welsh Wildlife Trust saying they were looking into how they will open up accommodation this year. There is a chance accommodation may not reopen fully this year due to COVID restrictions (multiple households sharing facilities) so 2020’s bookings may roll over into 2022 instead of this summer.

Not been to Skolholm myself (stayed on Skomer several times). When I looked into it I gather with Skokholm there’s more chance to be storm bound so you have to plan for that issue both for arrival and departure.

One thing I would say is I saw a tweet by Welsh Wildlife Trust saying they were looking into how they will open up accommodation this year. There is a chance accommodation may not reopen fully this year due to COVID restrictions (multiple households sharing facilities) so 2020’s bookings may roll over into 2022 instead of this summer.

ah yes Im very conscious of that as well especially with the fear of possible self-isolations if someone displays symptoms. No harm in planning, we will all get a break at some point in the future...hopefully LOL

Hi Becca I went to skokholm in 2013. Accommodation was basic but comfortable and I think it may have been upgraded. Twin room with a sink, toilet across the path. No shower but agin I think that has changed. You had to carry everything you need onto the island ( and off).you have to cook for yourself. That may sound negative but it was a Brilliant experience and the birds were wonderful. I would go again tomorrow. I have a sketch map with some notes somewhere if you decide to go. Only negative for me was you could get mobile reception☹️

I would describe Skokholm as "the connoiseur's choice" (if I could spell it). There is no invasion of day visitors so you have much more peaceful stay. Skokjholm is more colourful all round as the coastline is at least partly red sandstone instead of the grey of Skomer. The puffins may not be *quite* as close but you won't be fighting for space when they do come close. Skokholm is a much more delightful experience all round.

Back