Skomer Island Puffin Low Light Portrait

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just got back from spending two nights on Skomer Island and I would highly recommend it, its so much better than photography on the day trips. This Puffin portrait was taken 5 minutes before sunset when the sun had disappeared behind the cliff leaving little light. This was taken wide open on a 85mm f1.8 lens, a first use for wildlife but perfect on Skomer for shallow DoF portrait images.

Puffin Sunset Low Light Portrait by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nicely caught between the OOF areas.

Shallow depth of field works really well. The WB looks a bit blue to me though.

I was on cloudy but I altered it in Lightroom during editing, I will have look at altering it when I'm back from holiday next week.

Thanks Rob

I've had a few comments that my (Nikon) images look blue - they were all taken on the same day ……. by a Lake …… I then googled "Nikon images - blue cast" and found that it was quite a well know fact

Looks a lot better to me, I went puffin watching a couple of years ago and found they played havoc with the auto WB.

Very nice Rob its on my list to get there at some point :) I live near Lundy Island but your a very long way from them and on cliff edges so very hard to get any shots this ones lovely

Very nice Rob its on my list to get there at some point :) I live near Lundy Island but your a very long way from them and on cliff edges so very hard to get any shots this ones lovely

You have to stay on the paths on Skomer, Puffin burrows are only inches away on the other side of the ropes. It was interesting with 12 photographers on the path around The Wick at sunset, although probably a lot less photographers than during the day.

Looks a lot better to me, I went puffin watching a couple of years ago and found they played havoc with the auto WB.

I mainly keep to the cloudy setting and alter in processing if needed. The problem I've come across is the d750 and d800 I had with me have different WB values on the cloudy setting so it's been interesting trying to develop images from both in changing light from roughly 1800-2200 on both days.

Puffins are such a good subject great images

Nice photo Rob, the lighting is just right. Love Skomer, have visited a few times myself :)

@rob-nikon - sorry to drege up an old topic here Rob - did you go on an organised trip? And if so which one? I'm thinking of taking the plunge next year and wondered how they all compared as wanted to do a few days, not just a day trip i think. am based in essex so trying to decide if it's Skomer or Farne or somewhere else...

Back