Sky DOF , making the sky look long?

Edit My Images
Yes
How do you make the sky look as though it originates from a single far away point and explodes overhead? Is there a certain lens specification I need? Obviously the shot needs to be there in the first place but ive always struggled with this.

Sounds like you're looking for a wide angle lens - essentially it'll bring more of the foreground into the image and give you that effect .

What camera are you using? We can then suggest a focal length based on your sensor size

Im using a Canon 800d , 18-55 4-5.6 IS STM lens and a 50mm 1.8 STM. Im reading up on DOF and Aperture but most of what I read is about creating blurry backgrounds.

Am I looking for a short focal length with a large aperture diameter?

Last edited:
Im using a Canon 800d , 18-55 4-5.6 IS STM lens and a 50mm 1.8 STM. Im reading up on DOF and Aperture but most of what I read is about creating blurry backgrounds.

You're reading is correct, in that DOF is a product of focal length, aperture, and distance to/from the subject.

Is this the type of effect you are looking for?:

The sample image is from the Canon 10-22mm, other options are available, but it gives you an idea as to what a super wide angle lens will achieve.

If so, then yes, you are looking for a shorter focal length. A large (fast) aperture for what you are trying to achieve is not necessary. Large aperture lenses are more expensive and generally, for wide angle lenses, are great to keep iso's down then shooting in low light / astro photography etc. A short focal length with large aperture purchased solely for a shallow DOF makes little sense to me imo.

I'm not a landscape photographer, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in with recommendations for what you are trying to achieve.

If you want dramatic skies then I think the wider the field of view the better but I don't think you need wide apertures for this and if you do want to combine wide angle of view and wide aperture then the number of options goes down and size and price go up very quickly.

When I had Canon DSLR's I briefly had the Canon 10-22mm but I quickly changed it for the Sigma 12-24mm which I thought was the better lens in every respect. You do lose 2mm at the wide end but even so I'd take the Sigma 12-24mm over the Canon 10-22mm every time.

Another option I suppose could be do do a panorama if the clouds aren't moving too quickly.

A wide angle lens as suggested above will help here (to get a more expansive sky in), you have to be aware though objects towards the horizon may look further away - you have to compose carefully with wide angle lenses. You don't need a fast (wide apertyure lens) for thsi type of shot, and most landscapers would suggest using an aperture of between F8 and F11. If you are shooting in poor light, you will need a tripod to avoid boosting the ISO.

But utlimately this type of shot depends very much on the conditions.

BTW Canon made a more wallet friendly wide angle for the EF-S cameras, the 10-18mm - this can be had s/h for around £150

A wide angle lens as suggested above will help here (to get a more expansive sky in), you have to be aware though objects towards the horizon may look further away - you have to compose carefully with wide angle lenses. You don't need a fast (wide apertyure lens) for thsi type of shot, and most landscapers would suggest using an aperture of between F8 and F11. If you are shooting in poor light, you will need a tripod to avoid boosting the ISO.

I used to love my Sigma 12-24mm but I do think that wide lenses can be some of the most difficult to use well. I think you really do need to look and see the picture you're about to capture and recognise the effects of perspective distortion and depending on what you're doing either embrace them or take steps to minimise them to create the effect you want.

I used to love my Sigma 12-24mm but I do think that wide lenses can be some of the most difficult to use well. I think you really do need to look and see the picture you're about to capture and recognise the effects of perspective distortion and depending on what you're doing either embrace them or take steps to minimise them to create the effect you want.

Yes and its all too easy to end up with a ribbon of interest across the middle of teh frame and a nothing foreground and a nothing sky!!

I thought of this thread last night. Getting the perspective look I think the OP is after is as much about the sky as the focal length. Just snaps as I was fishing, not photograpying.

First one is at 34mm on 'full frame'.

_7512866.jpg

Second at 28mm. So approximately 18mm on APS-C

_7512864.jpg

Last edited:
Theres several options for a really wide lens for your camera. Sigma make the 12-24mm and Canon 10-22mm as already mentioned., Tamron also make a 10-24mm. I like the Sigma 10-20mm personally,. Although it doesnt get a lot of use now, it lives in my bag "in case" ;)

You could do a whole lot worse than this. https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/samyang-12mm-f-2-ncs-cs-fujifilm-x-fit/sku-1969778?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UK|Google|Buy|Shopping|Smart|UK&gclid=CjwKCAjwkeqkBhAnEiwA5U-uM-ez8rET15eh6cayxQgaWATUnrGZ46GkuImHoZstsK74Tr96Z7SpgxoCtkgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I've got one for my Fuji's. I was going to offer it to you but had a play and thought "Nah...too much fun!"...Well in budget and will certainly give you the Big Sky look.
Manual focus / aperture but anything f5.6 or over will be in "Acceptable" focus anyway. (y)

You could do a whole lot worse than this. https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/samyang-12mm-f-2-ncs-cs-fujifilm-x-fit/sku-1969778?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UK|Google|Buy|Shopping|Smart|UK&gclid=CjwKCAjwkeqkBhAnEiwA5U-uM-ez8rET15eh6cayxQgaWATUnrGZ46GkuImHoZstsK74Tr96Z7SpgxoCtkgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I've got one for my Fuji's. I was going to offer it to you but had a play and thought "Nah...too much fun!"...Well in budget and will certainly give you the Big Sky look.
Manual focus / aperture but anything f5.6 or over will be in "Acceptable" focus anyway. (y)

I'd suggest a Canon EF-S 10-18mm as I posted earlier in the thread :) about 150 of your earth pounds!

Last edited:
Sigma 14-24mm at 14mm f8, Nikon D810 FX:

Sunset4 by Martin H, on Flickr

Back