Sky Q - experiences?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking about upgrading my HD + box to a 2TB Q.

Not (totally) GAS. Now that Eurosport shows full 5hour bike races I'm having trouble with a full hard drive,
recording contentions and multiroom would be nice for the bedrooms.

So existing users does yours work (conflict with wifi?) and any other thoughts / experiences very
welcome before I press the button.

Cheers
Steve

I’ve had Sky Q for 2 years now and I’ve had my fair share of problems let me say that,
I’m set up with the 2tb and 2 mini boxes, also have sky fibre,
At one point I had 3 engineers in one week !
The new version boxes with the external power supply are very very temperamental and don’t like LG or Sony TVs,
And the style with the internal power supply are like hens teeth due to this issue,
Luckily I managed to get a box with internal power supply and I’ve had no problem since and that was only 6 weeks ago it was a replacement due to dead hard drive,
If you can put up with the odd issue then you’ll be fine,
But as it’s my setup in the house I get it in the neck from the family when it goes down,
Maybe 1-2 times per week the whole lot will freeze up and you have to reboot the main box to fix it,
I’ve just learned to live with it to be honest,
The WiFi issues too should you get an extra mini box to accompany the main one,
They use a WiFi mesh which acts as a WiFi hotspot,
So it will reduce your WiFi speed as you will be going through the mini box or the main box and very rare the router,
You will get 14 days after install if you don’t like it so you can revert back to HD,
after that you’re stuck with it,
My honest opinion anyway,
But the UHD is very nice for the F1 and the football,
Also the movies in UHD are great,
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Well I've had Sky Q 2tb in the lounge and 1 mini box in the bedroom for about 6 months or so, Main TV is a Hisense 65" UHD and the bedroom TV is a Samsung 42" HD, picture on both is excellent with the UHD edging it as you'd expect, no hang ups, no drop outs, no power issues it all works just fine, my fibre connection is via BT and is about 54 mbps download and about 12 mbps upload and no problems with Netflix or Prime.

The quality is simply superb in fact the only fly in the ointment is my wife who continues to claim that she can't tell the difference ! I'm sure she's only doing it to wind me up and she succeeds only a level she wouldn't believe :(

Had it for nearly two years. First six months had all sorts of issues- mainly with the wi-fi aspect and the two mini boxes not connecting and the main box losing the wi-fi connection. I have BT for broadband. I installed a BT wholehome system about six months ago and since then have had no issues. The main box and one of the minis are plugged into the whole home discs and system is now very stable. Still some annoyances with the software and the touch remote is a pain but generally happy with it now.

Well I've had Sky Q 2tb in the lounge and 1 mini box in the bedroom for about 6 months or so, Main TV is a Hisense 65" UHD and the bedroom TV is a Samsung 42" HD, picture on both is excellent with the UHD edging it as you'd expect, no hang ups, no drop outs, no power issues it all works just fine, my fibre connection is via BT and is about 54 mbps download and about 12 mbps upload and no problems with Netflix or Prime.

The quality is simply superb in fact the only fly in the ointment is my wife who continues to claim that she can't tell the difference ! I'm sure she's only doing it to wind me up and she succeeds only a level she wouldn't believe :(
I get that all the time, she 'can't understand all this UHD fuss, it doesn't look any better than the old one' :mad:

Had it for a year.
Use the mini one mostly and can't say I've ever encountered any issues that cause concern.
I think it is a vast improvement to the old version (for me).
My Internet is with Plus.net and its fine for a family of 4 and more connected devices than I knew was possible....

I've had it for about 2 years too, main plus one mini. We just have Sky for TV, we have Virgin for phone and broadband (220Mbps down, 12Mbps up). Surprise, surprise no issues with wifi, though the house is quite big (3 storey) and has very very solid walls, so I've had to install a wifi extender on the first floor.

Three positive, two negative is not a good ratio!

Thinking again seems the best idea. I really do not want to have to explain to the wife why I killed her tele.

Cheers

Steve

When it works it’s great, my parents had HD for years and it never went down once, then I took over and got Q installed,
Let’s say they’re not best pleased with me for that decision,
When Q works it’s great and fluid on all 3 tv’s, I have the main 2tb box in my tv room a mini in the living room and one in the bedroom and the uhd is fantastic for F1 and football,
But it has its problems,
Just aswel the engineer visits and tech support is all included free when you have Q,
Otherwise I’d owe sky a small fortune in callouts,
Not everyone’s will be temperamental like ours is but it is finicky still,
Try them out on a 14 day period,
If not for you they’ll just come and take it out and reinstall your hd setup,
After 14 days it’s all yours,
Take a look on the sky q section of the sky help forums,
Any amount of info on there to make for good reading

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on the Sky forum Lian.

After a look through I'll save my money until they get the tech right.

I've had Sky Q 2TB + Mini Q for about 3 months now, I had some lock up problems but since moving the external PSU away from the 2TB Q, its been fine. I think it could be some kind of magnetic interference from the PSU which was affecting the Q box, maybe?
I am with Sky for television and Virgin 363Mbps / 20Mbps for broadband. Yet to buy a 4K UHD screen! :eek:

Another 'Generally Happy' Sky Q customer here.

BT 'Fibre' (IE to cabinet, not house) for broadband, Sky Q 2TB + 2x Mini + 1xWiFi booster (2nd mini is in the loft conversion, and was very temperamental until I added the booster on the 1st floor).

It's been a lot more stable now than when we originally got it - part of that is the WiFi booster, part I'm assuming is software / firmware updates over the time we've had the kit.

Only on HD, so can't comment on the 4k.

Big plus points over the older Sky system are larger capacity, any recording available on any box, 5 or 6 simultaneous recordings (so no more 'failed due to clash' errors when the few minutes added to start an end make recording a show from 8-9, and one from 9-10 require 2 recordings at 9).

Personally I'm not a fan of the 'touch' remote, much prefer the 'basic' version with actual buttons, but you get both with the main box, and just the basic with a mini, so no problem.

Note: All my units have internal power supplies - and they do get quite warm at times. A couple of times when the main box has crashed I've found someone has left a DVD case on top of it and the Sky Q top has become hotter than normal (the DVD player is next to the SKy Q main box), and I suspect that's been enough to make it get just a bit too warm inside...

Back