Sky rolling out fibre from april

I will have that.. when they put gas and other useful services into my village (not)

Meanwhile my 0.75 meg (up to 20 meg BT broadband) will have to do

I wonder if it's as fast as my 50MB Virgin Media connection. I can even use Youtube on a good day....

They are also going to give sky anytime+ to any sky user no matter who your ISP is.

So is this sky using the BT infinity network?

Our street has infinity now but looking at the BT site the TV offering down it seems to be just freeview with a BT box.

Something that actually competes with Virgin might be interesting.

Our street has infinity now but looking at the BT site the TV offering down it seems to be just freeview with a BT box.

It's a hybrid Freeview & TV-over-IP box - so for example the video on demand content is delivered via broadband rather than over the air.

They're just getting ready for YouView....

I will be going FTTC once it is installed (rolls back 3 months every 3 months at the moment :(). Gotta have something to stream to the 5 PCs here that play media (3 dedicated)...

Something that actually competes with Virgin might be interesting.

Virgin is nothing special - you get lucky in some areas, unlucky in others. I have constant low speeds, constant drop outs etc - I'm changing ISP as soon as I can, and I don't intend to go back to Virgin anytime soon.

hopefully not like BT infinity as they somethimg ridiculous like a 10gb month FUP.. hopefully sky doesnt do the same as thats the only reason im not currently interested :(

hopefully not like BT infinity as they somethimg ridiculous like a 10gb month FUP
Their FUP has changed recently toi, I believe, unlimited on the top tier. They will still traffic manage though...

from what i understand this will use BT's FTTC until it gets back to the exchange where it will transfer to skys kit and backbone.

hopefully not like BT infinity as they somethimg ridiculous like a 10gb month FUP.. hopefully sky doesnt do the same as thats the only reason im not currently interested :(

accoring to the link it is unlimited and if skys adsl unlimited is anything to go by it is truely unlimited.

My Virgin 50MB is really stable and I'm regularly getting that speed +/- 10% and later this year it gets doubled to 100MB free of charge :banana:

does virgin have it's own fibre optic cable separate from bt's one?

I believe so. My area is using old an old NTL network hence my poor connection.

does virgin have it's own fibre optic cable separate from bt's one?

Yes, has done for years. Don't they use the same cabling for their broadband as for their TV service.
Moved into our house 10 yrs ago and have never had a BT line, fibre all the way.
Virginmedia in our area is pretty solid, quick and stable. The occasional fault over the years but your only talking 1 or 2 a year!

Paul.

Our street has infinity now but looking at the BT site the TV offering down it seems to be just freeview with a BT box

That would be BT Vision, can rent films on demand (HD are an extra quid) and also get Sky Sports package for the footie etc

Had it for a few years now, it's ok and handy now you can use it for BBC iplayer too

Last edited:
I believe so. My area is using old an old NTL network hence my poor connection.

Yes, has done for years. Don't they use the same cabling for their broadband as for their TV service.
Moved into our house 10 yrs ago and have never had a BT line, fibre all the way.
Virginmedia in our area is pretty solid, quick and stable. The occasional fault over the years but your only talking 1 or 2 a year!

Paul.

i see, it's not available where i live then

That would be BT Vision, can rent films on demand (HD are an extra quid) and also get Sky Sports package for the footie etc

Had it for a few years now, it's ok and handy now you can use it for BBC iplayer too

I have sports 1,2,3,4 (not HD) on Virgin with ESPN HD and Eurosport HD thrown in for no extra and of course loads of cable channels that are hardly ever watched. Before looking at the BT site I thought they might offer something to compete but they don't. The only alternative is still a sky dish on the front of the house that I don't want.

Back