Sky tracker recommendations

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
Guys, I’ve done the whole Northern Lights thing with some success but I wanna take it further, so I’m looking at getting a sky-tracker without breaking the bank. This astro-photography is probably something I’ll only do 5 or 6 times, just to thick it off the bucket list, so need to be sensible with the cash. You guys got any suggestions?

Last edited:
I use a Skywatcher Star Adventurer (LINKY) which works well. Skywatcher do an even smaller and cheaper one now which is controlled via a phone app too (LINKY). I use a cheap red snapper tripod and pop a ball head on the top. It needs manually setting up (make it level, point the mount towards the pole star and then frame your object) but once you've done it a few times it only takes a few minutes to do. It's best used with a lighter set up but I have used mine with a Nikon D750 and Tamron 90mm lens and it was fine for 5 minute exposures. I suspect it could go longer with careful alignment (10 minutes or so).

I also use a star adventurer, I think it’s a good package to get the hang of things, took me a while but now I can have it set up and tracking in a few minutes. Iv managed to get 30 second exposures with a 400mm lens, on a crop sensor camera with no trailing.

Back