Scotland Skye or Mull, 1st Week in July ?

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm heading North for (hopefully) some Sea Eagles / Otters, probably Skye or Mull.

Any ideas which Island I'll stand more chance on & any locations to recommend ?

Thanks

rian

There is a good chance of seeing the wildlife from either There are boat trips from both Skye and Mull to view white tailed eagles. However, as with all wildlife nothing is certain so I don't think either could be said to be better than the other.

Other considerations.

Mull is closer if coming from the south. You would have to factor in the cost of a ferry, but a ferry can be part of the holiday.
Geographically, Syke is IMO a little more interesting - Cullins, Quiraing, the Storr, but Mull is alos great.
From Mull you can take a trip to Staffa and the Treshnish Isles.

Dave

I've been to Skye a few times but always to late for the wildlife :facepalm:
I normally camp at Kinloch Campsite, Dunvegan. but might give it another go elsewhere on Skye :)

If you're camping on Mull, I heartily recommend the campsite close to Killiechronan. I don't think this can be found anywhere on the Internet or in Tourist Board literature. Take the B8035 from Salen, turn right down the B8073 (signposted Ulva Ferry) and keep your eyes open. Campsite is IIRC about a further half mile or so on the left - and its tucked away. This is a very quiet campsite, right at the side of the loch which stretches away, mountains on both sides. Eagles are reputed to live in the cliffs on the left but we never saw any. You need to drive to those, its too far to see from the campsite. We did see a lot of salmon (I think) jumping and a few seals swimming and fishing some 50 to 200 yards in front of us.. I'll attach a photo if I can of our visit back in 2000. We never saw the owners but a couple of kids (different ones every day!) would come around from somewhere asking for £2 a night ! A delightful place to camp.

View attachment 39629

BTW, the trip to Staffa and the Treshnish Isles mentioned by Tringa above is a must if you are a bird fan. Thousands of them to photograph at close range, including dozens of Puffins just a few feet from the path.

Also, Ulva, just down the road is a lovely little place to visit. The ferry 'pier' is usually deserted. There is a white plaque hanging on the rock wall which you need to turn over on to its red side. When the Ferryman spots that its red, he'll come over and fetch you! Only one family live on the island (no camping unless you arrange first) and they have a red phone box. It was late June when we visited and they were growing tomato plants in it! This place is cute!

Also, just down the road to the SW is the isle of Iona, very interesting historically (Monks and Kings and all that) which is reputed to have a quality of light found nowhere else. I'm not sure what that means but I'm sure google does. Its a nice (but long) drive down to the island.

You'll have much to explore wherever you go! Don't forget the Midge stuff. We didn't have any bother with them in late June 2000.

Thanks for the info Steve, I'll Mull it over (if you'll pardon the pun...)

After writing that, I'm wanting to go there again myself (now!) BTW, IIRC that photograph was taken at about 9:30. with my first ever digital camera, a 2MP fixed lens Olypmus. We sat out until midnight and it still wasn't dark. It was actually the first week of July and it doesn't get properly dark - not even at 03:00. It was warm for us and we had no bother at all with midges for the whole week or we were there. Perhaps we were just lucky? I'm starting to pack again now! :)

Last edited:
Back