Skye

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
Afternoon!

After many years I finally managed to travel up to the Isle of Skye. Off the back of a glorious week of sun I arrived there last Monday... just as rain was due to set in for the week ;)

Here are some photos, in rough chronological order. All taken with the Fuji X-T3.

First - off to Elgol to try and get a sunset...

Elgol Rocks
by Nick Tsiatinis, on Flickr

Sunset wasn't happening, and there wasn't much going on with the sea, so turn around and walk up the cliffs for a different viewpoint...

Elgol Cliffs

The next day, after a trip to the Fairy Pools it was a whistlestop tour of the 'must-visit' areas before the rain came to visit...
And so to the Quiraing

Quiraing

Quiraing 2

As expected, the rain came to say hello the next day. A trip to Neist Point was pointless, as I couldn't even see the lighthouse through the mist, so a moody shot of it through the fog was off the cards... Instead, a little trip to Carbost was on the agenda...

Boat

Thursday too was a washout, but the rain stayed away just long enough for me to get some photos of the Eilean Sionnach Lighthouse

Eilean Sionnach Lighthouse

The same day I thought I'd try Neist Point again, but after about 30 minutes drive I realised conditions weren't going to be any good... so turned back and went to visit the Sligachan bridge. After waiting in the car for a bit for the rain and wind to have a bit of a rest... and then realising it wouldn't... I got out and went for a photo anyway

Sligachan Old Bridge

And then the next morning it was time to drive home... but not before stopping at one last cliché

Buachaille Etive Mor

Thanks for looking (y)

Some crackers there.
Love Sligachan....it's awesome, very atmospheric. Also really like the second Elgol one.

Some great ones there and the one of Sligachan bridge shows how Skye(and the Highllands too) can look superb even without the sun.

Dave

3, 5, 7+8, brilliant ;)

Some crackers there.
Love Sligachan....it's awesome, very atmospheric. Also really like the second Elgol one.
Slig bridge is fantastic, as is #3
Some great ones there and the one of Sligachan bridge shows how Skye(and the Highllands too) can look superb even without the sun.

Dave
3, 5, 7+8, brilliant ;)

Thanks ever so much, folks! I was disappointed it rained almost constantly… but it just gave an alternative set of photos to take! Would definitely go back. Appreciate your kind words.

A lovely set of photographs - triggered lots of good memories of a few days we enjoyed on Skye a few years ago - thanks for posting this collection.

Nice set Nick

Number three is really interesting, and I like the ethereal look that it and number four have too. I also think the misty looking mountains in the back of number two are spectacular.

Number three is really interesting, and I like the ethereal look that it and number four have too. I also think the misty looking mountains in the back of number two are spectacular.
Very kind, thank you! I've been working on the 'etherealness' recently by adding a slight gaussian blur filter on a new layer and turning the opacity way way down... very easy to overdo it, and I'm not sure if I've got it completely right yet!

Glad you got out of the car for #7, it's a great, moody shot.

I've just returned and had rain every day (and 30mph winds), I'm not sure if I'd change that for blue skies though, it just wouldn't feel right!

Fantastic set Nick .. 3 and 7 definitely do it for me closely followed by 4 and 6 …

Coho-Blue

Glad you got out of the car for #7, it's a great, moody shot.

I've just returned and had rain every day (and 30mph winds), I'm not sure if I'd change that for blue skies though, it just wouldn't feel right!

Haha! Yeah, I know what you mean... and reflecting on it since I've been home I think I agree with you. I think I need to condition myself to want to venture out more when conditions aren't great because sometimes that's when it makes a dramatic difference!

Fantastic set Nick .. 3 and 7 definitely do it for me closely followed by 4 and 6 …

Coho-Blue
Very kind, thank you!

Back