Skylight filter help please??

Name
Zak Millard
Edit My Images
Yes
my parents very kindly bought me a B+W 58mm KR-1,5 Skylight 1,1x filter now i love it because its a nice filter with a nice box to it but im not positive what its for my parents said it absorbs UV but i dont know because its not a UV filter anyone know what its for? because its a skylight i think it just helps boost the sky colours anyone know??? thanks !

zak

Here is the bumf off the site

The Skylight Filter KR 1.5 also blocks UV radiation and has a delicate, reddish yellow shade to counter the high blue portion in shadow caused....

A Sklight filter is a UV filter with a tiny hint of pink.

It relates to film which had some UV sensitivity, to the extent that it even benefited from a little bit of warming up too. It also helped with early electronic flash which was a bit blue.

Unfortunately, it is no use at all for digital. However, B+W are good filters and it will do very little harm while obviously offering some physical protection. On the other hand, could you swap it for a polarizer? They are excellent :) (It will cost a bit more though.)

Either a skylight or UV can be used as a lens protector. The only difference really is that the skylight has a very slight pinkish colour to it, so when using colour film it can help to 'warm' up the colours ever so slightly. The UV on the other hand, is a clear filter, and this will help to eliminate distant haze you can get when photographing landscapes at a high altitude.

Like I say, this applies to film. I don't really know whether it will have any effect on digital images to tell you the truth.

Back