Skype....

Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
On a serious note...my wifes family live abroad and in these saving money times, and perhaps because i'm originally from yorkshire...we're thinking of using skype to make these necessary phone calls. i know that skype to skype is free but wondered if skype to phoneline or skype to foreign mobile was cheap and any good.

if anyone has any information about the above it would be gratefully received
thanks

If you wanted to use it primarily for calling "abroad" then you'd be better off subscribing to one of the SIP provider in the country that you're calling... local rate calls ahoy :D

www.myvoipprovider.com

Much cheaper than paying to phone landlines abroad... or as you say, if you're calling skype to skype, it's free so no worries there :)

Skype can work with some mobiles with data plans about 50 at present I think. It is not free but is cheaper.

Skype to landline is not free eithe but call costs are reduced.

Visit the skype website where all charges are shown.

Simplest option is skype to skype over the Internet. it is totally free and with a webcam you can see and hear.

I used Skype during my recent month long trip to Canada in order to call home. It got quite frustrating as there would be a lot of dropped calls or interference, although this could have been down to the crappy internet connection I had there. Some days it would be good with no problems, and some days I would have to disconnect and re-dial about 7-8 times during an hour long conversation.

Skype to UK landline cost me about 1p per minute and the line was clear, although I think the price depends what time of day you make the call (ie peak or non-peak). I also called a UK and Canadian mobile, and that cost me about 10p per minute.

You can also use Skype for instant messaging and you can set up your webcam too (which I discovered the day before I came home home :bang: ).

Hope that helps :)

I used Skype a lot during my time in Saudi. 9 months is a long time to be away from home when you have kids but with Skype I could talk to the kids and they could see me every single day.

I still have it and use it all the time to talk to friends still in Saudi and my old man in France.

The kids love it because they can just press the picture of Gramps and he will talk to them over the webcam all day long for free.

On a serious note...my wifes family live abroad and in these saving money times, and perhaps because i'm originally from yorkshire...we're thinking of using skype to make these necessary phone calls. i know that skype to skype is free but wondered if skype to phoneline or skype to foreign mobile was cheap and any good.

if anyone has any information about the above it would be gratefully received
thanks

Have you thought of the Vonage option

http://Vonage.co.uk

thanks all for your input, i shall have a good look at your replies.
have a good weekend.

Back