Skyport Radio Triggers

To use Skyports with Canon Speedlite 580 EX

After eventually deciding to get the Skyports my problems started. No one seems to know how to get them to work with the above Speedlite! Eventually ordered from Warehouse Express (very helpful and free delivery over £100). To use the Skyports as recommended by Cherryrig with the above Speedlight it can be done with:

Kaiser Flash Shoe Adaptor with cable 1301
connected to
Pocket Wizard MPCF Trigger Button to Miniphone Male Adaptor

I hope this is helpful to someone. :)

Edit: I have not tried it out for actually taking pictures yet but the flash flashes when I press the button on the camera which is a 100% improvement on the cactus which flashed as and when they wanted, not when I wanted.

The 580ex has a PC Socket on the side so you could have just connected the flash directly to the skyport using the cable in cherryrigs link - normal PW cable which comes with the PWs.

I think :thinking:

It if does it is exceedingly well hidden. I could find no way of directly connecting the skyport to the speedlight. One of the cables plus adaptor that comes with the skyports is fine for connecting to the Bowens but were useless for the speedlite :shrug:

Oops that socket is for securing the bracket too, its the 580ex II that has the socket. i don't know what made me think it was a PC socket :thinking:

I bought a couple of the all-in-one cable/hotshoes (£9 from Calumet, but PC, not 3.5mm connector) and one of them failed after a week or so, any movement put a strain on the cable and eventually started to pull it from the hotshoe and, being a sealed unit, once it does that then it's pretty much for the bin, or back to Calumet as it was in my case.

They were replaced with a couple of the hotshoe adaptors and cables from Colinsfoto and I'll be ordering more as I've ended up with another couple of new Pocket Wizards, but at Skyport prices :)

The flashcentre do a cable called the paramount cable that is a hotshoe with the right cable attached for those like me that own a mark 1 580.

The problem you might find and that is discussed on other forums is that sometimes if the reciever is to close to the flash then it will turn itself off when fired. this can be a right pain and dosnt happen all the time. solutions it so move it further away from the flash head but you have to get an extension cable for the paramount to do that, all adds up. Canon flashes are a pain in the %$$ for remote work.

Can you use a cable to fire the transmitter from a PC socket if you don't have a hotshoe (or as in my case your hotshoe doesn't work!)? Got fed up with poverty wizards yesterday so I'm thinking of sploshing the dosh on some of these.

cherryrig, I'm also keep to find out how you use your skyport/strobbist setup with the Bronica SQ-A (y)

cherryrig, I'm also keep to find out how you use your skyport/strobbist setup with the Bronica SQ-A (y)

This what I do -

bronicaskyport.jpg

Basically just use the 2.5mm to PC sync cable that came with the Skyports, wrap the cable around then plug in the transmitter. Therefore by doing that it's not going to fall off or be lose in anyway. Then away you go really

Hope that helps you out??

:)

Well finally got around to ordering a pair of Skyport Universal triggers, since I managed to loose the transmitter from my Cactus v2's over the holidays.

Not really much to say really, apart from they just work without any issues!

Thanks v much for the advice... much cheaper than PW and do all that I need.

I bet there's some proper power in that QFlash. Did you get the battery situation sorted?

Yea I did get a charger in the end. It came today actaully :)

Some really power in the QFlash!!! You should see the strobo mode!! :LOL:

I can get photos like this now, if I wanted to :LOL:

ATIBA6.jpg

Just leave the camera on a long shutter and then the flash just flashes like a strobo :D

I first thought my skyport receiver had a problem as it kept turning itself off after a couple of triggers - even when on charge, where the sleep mode shouldn't come into action.

I eventually found out that this was due to me resting the receiver directly on top of a D-Lite 200. I assume the D-lite is probably inadequately shielded, obviously causing a reaction with the Skyport receiver.

Since moving the receiver away from the flash head, I have never experienced any further problems.
I love the size and weight of these units, and never get a mis fire either.

I hope this may be of use to anyone that has experienced the same problem.

Why would sunlight affect skyports? They're a radio trigger not an optical trigger or a flash.

Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong, but i dont think sunlight affects radio triggers...

if you are using an optical slave as well, you may have a few problems though

Interference from solar flare? Perhaps it was the big TV/Mobile phone transmitter they were stood next to :shrug:

The onyl problem I've had with mine is when they've fallen asleep or I've not turned them on properly. For the money I think they're pretty spot on.

Back