Skywatcher Star adventurer (show us your pics/setup)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi just looking into possible purchase of this unit as it seems pretty popular,so just thought ide start this thread for people to show off their pics or setups and ask any questions,(hope this is ok with the mods thanks

start of by asking what is the difference between the stand alone unit and the full kit(is the full kit worth the extra)

Can't find a cheaper full astro kit.
Wex sells it too by the looks of it.

Shame I can't mount my 8" reflector to it :)

I was looking at one of these, it's hard to find actual examples of peoples images used with it. It's a toss up between this and a EQ3 pro for me, i can at least mount my trusty heritage dob on that as well.

well hit the button and purchased one yesterday so expect cloudy nights for the next 10 days:),questions expected quick and fast:confused:

just set up (i think),can anyone thats using this confirm its right upto now cheers,just trying to find how to polar align now,set up the longtitude roughly on the wedge and turned the clamp clutch ring until the polar view has 6 at the bottom,think this is right so far?,just have to wait for clear skys to align up,

Attachments

• IMAG0712_BURST001.jpg
    IMAG0712_BURST001.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
yet another cloudy night:(

Coming nights look a bit more promising, but you will need to wrap up warm:)
Watching with interest, would love one myself, so looking forward to seeing how you get on with it

Coming nights look a bit more promising, but you will need to wrap up warm:)
Watching with interest, would love one myself, so looking forward to seeing how you get on with it

Me too, please keep us updated

Me too,

It's that or buy a Pentax DSLR body and the O-GPS1 attachment (Clever as Pentax moves the sensor for capturing astro so no star trails)

Me too,

It's that or buy a Pentax DSLR body and the O-GPS1 attachment (Clever as Pentax moves the sensor for capturing astro so no star trails)
The pentax system is good, but the star adventurer will be a bit more flexible, particularly if you use the autoguider option as your skill sincrease. That said, the OGPS is really small, so you can also count that towards the Pentax!

will do guys ,first impressions are good,very well built,hopefully quite easy to set up,did notice one thing in that when i eventually have to line up to the polaris star , stars are very viewable through the polar alignment scope,unlike looking at live view on the camera, which is a bonus,will update when possible cheers

I've not long got one of these. Not used it in anger yet though. Looking at other shots taken with it, it looks well worth the money. I'm just waiting for a clear night the isn't during the week!

Skywatcher 200p on a dob mount atm. Would love the heq5 but too muck cash.
I had a 200 on an HEQ5 Pro and it was too much for imaging IMHO. The slightest breeze and I was getting wobbly subs. I sold it to buy an NEQ6 but the car needed unforeseen and urgent work :( On the plus side, there was enough left over to get the little Star Adventurer :)

same here keep us updated on how you get on with it,or any thing else you do with it ,likewise cheers

I've not long got one of these. Not used it in anger yet though. Looking at other shots taken with it, it looks well worth the money. I'm just waiting for a clear night the isn't during the week!

I had a 200 on an HEQ5 Pro and it was too much for imaging IMHO. The slightest breeze and I was getting wobbly subs. I sold it to buy an NEQ6 but the car needed unforeseen and urgent work :( On the plus side, there was enough left over to get the little Star Adventurer :)
hi leebert what tripod are you using it on and have you managed to use it yet:whistle:

Just bought one of these. Sods law only had one clear night and now back to work. Only trial I have done is to use the PS Align Pro app to set Polaris in the scope and then start it running for 30 minutes to see if there was any major error in the alignment. Seemed pretty good but I guess the only real way to check it is to set Polaris in the cross hairs and then rotate the scope 180 degrees and see if Polaris moves. Another learning curve coming up.

Just bringing this one back to life as I am keen to find out how people are getting on with this? Also, if anyone is looking to sell there's then I would be interested

Just bringing this one back to life as I am keen to find out how people are getting on with this? Also, if anyone is looking to sell there's then I would be interested
I had a watch on this thread because I was thinking of getting one but TBH where I live in north west England we have had about 4 nights in the last 6 months when it was clear enough to see anything more than the brightest stars. Throw work and the moon into the mix and I imagine I would get to use one about once every two years or so :(

I've had one since they were first released, barely used it as I'm too lazy to drive to a dark sky area and I live in a flat with no garden.

But here is one from a quick sessiob I did a year ago from outside my flat.

Think it was 5 x 30 sec exposures using a 300mm f4 and 700d.

Picture quality isn't that good as downloaded from facebook to phone.

Andromeda galaxy.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1506330530612.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506330530612.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Not had a chance to use mine much this year. Last one was Barnards loop. Hopefully with the winter coming and Orion back in the sky I'll get to have a crack at the Witch Head Nebula and Horsehead Nebula.

I find Polar Aligning a bit of a pain. I try and keep my tripod quite low for stability and my knees can't take kneeling on the ground trying to align the mount. Bought a Polemaster camera for polar alignment and now a five minute job with no acrobatics to look through the polar scope. Only trouble is a bit more kit to set up.

I've had one since they were first released, barely used it as I'm too lazy to drive to a dark sky area and I live in a flat with no garden.

But here is one from a quick sessiob I did a year ago from outside my flat.

Think it was 5 x 30 sec exposures using a 300mm f4 and 700d.

Picture quality isn't that good as downloaded from facebook to phone.

Andromeda galaxy.
Wow still good though

How much do you want for it then haha

I've really enjoyed using my skywatcher but had to get a good tripod for it, my manfrotto 055XPROB just wasn't up to the job at full extension so I got a Gitzo G1348 for it, much, much better. In a bit of photography funk at the mo but hoping to use it again this autumn/winter. Getting a 500D astro modded helped but I've used it with the 5D3 + 16-35 as well for wide stuff

Some pics, all details on flickr

Mount milky by John Phelan, on Flickr

Orion, the horsehead and the flame by John Phelan, on Flickr

m31redo-1 by John Phelan, on Flickr

Back