Sleep function in Windows 10

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Just been watching a YT video about saving space and cleaning up in general on a Windows 10 system. What surprised me most was that the video recommended never to let the PC sleep. My power settings shut the screen down after 15 minutes and then lets the computer sleep after 30 minutes.

Can I ask what people on here do please, does it make sense to have the sleep setting at Never?

Screen shut off but computer runs on. Had problems with my external hard drives connected to the computer when it went to sleep. When it woke up it did not see the drives even though their access lights were on.

Screen shut off but computer runs on. Had problems with my external hard drives connected to the computer when it went to sleep. When it woke up it did not see the drives even though their access lights were on.

Thanks for the reply Peter. Also, just on watching the video again noticed there is a box where you can tell the hard drive not to sleep either.

I put mine (Asus board, Core i5 CPU, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro) to sleep every night and again whenever I go out. It wakes up with no problem every time, either by switching it on or connecting remotely. There was a short period when it would fail to wake the monitor, but that was a long time ago and it stopped after an upgrade. Been fine ever since.

10 mins and 30 mins, switch off overnight or if away out.

What was the thinking behind no sleep policy anyway, Windows likes to constantly index and shuffle stuff about but it doesn't need to run constantly to accomplish that.

What was the thinking behind no sleep policy anyway, Windows likes to constantly index and shuffle stuff about but it doesn't need to run constantly to accomplish that.

As I mentioned it was from watching a YT video where setting the "sleep" to Never was recommended. Not sure what is gained or saved by letting the PC sleep or run, no one has mentioned a reason apart from it being aimed at laptops. My main system is a desktop tower.

I put mine (Asus board, Core i5 CPU, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro) to sleep every night and again whenever I go out. It wakes up with no problem every time, either by switching it on or connecting remotely. There was a short period when it would fail to wake the monitor, but that was a long time ago and it stopped after an upgrade. Been fine ever since.

Garry, apart from when it's asleep, does your system run 24/7?

Last edited:
Using less power is why I do it

Desktop and I have twin monitors which generate a fair heat too.

Thanks Jim. Really appreciate the help.

Thanks Garry.

The last time I ‘slept’ my W10 PC the Apple screen connected to it wouldn’t turn on, and there’s no physical button to do it so had to restart. Good job I’d saved my PS document but usually don’t have a problem

I currently and for some time have had a problem with W10 apparently not waking from sleep - at least the display doesn't wake, and since it doesn't how on earth can I know what else is (or isn't) going on? I believe that it started with a certain W10 update but don't know that for sure either.

I've tinkered with settings, updated the display driver etc, to no avail. So my reluctant workaround has been to set sleep to 'never' for everything, and the corollary of this is that I turn the whole machine off and on much more frequently than before.

My fingers have been crossed that it'll cure itself eventually, but it is a pain in the arse meanwhile.

I recently had a Windows "problem" that happened when my system was being "woken up".

I have always set my windows pc`s to never sleep. I turn it off when I go to bed, and that`s it. Maybe i`m just paranoid, but always worry about if it`s in the middle of an automatic update from any peice of software and sleeps, it could totally mess things up.

I also turn off the stop/start on my car ;)

Thanks for the help Paul. Really appreciate the reply.

Windows updates prevent sleep mode

i leave mine on 24/7 the only thing that goes to sleep is the monitor after 30 mins idle the rest just chugs away and has done since 2010 when i built it
iv'e had more problems with pc's / laptops with sleep mode than it switched off i tend to switch it off on my own stuff nowadays

Could you expand a little please?
You can't put a PC into slep mode whilst updates are installing, eg: you get a warning and options to finish installing and restart.

You can't put a PC into slep mode whilst updates are installing, eg: you get a warning and options to finish installing and restart.
Thanks for the help.

Back