Slide film

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I am going to london next week as part of my college course. I am planning on shooting some slide film in my bronica. I have read that exposures have to be spot on when using slide film but my bronica doesnt have a built in meter, i will be using the ambent setting on the meter i use for my studio work.
is there a correct way of doing this to get a perfect exposure? the last time i tried it with black and white film the sky had been blown out.

any advice would be great

paul

is there a correct way of doing this to get a perfect exposure? the last time i tried it with black and white film the sky had been blown out.

paul

Were the foregrounds OK for exposure in these shots?

The sky may have been too bright for the luminance range of the film to cope with and that perfect exposure may not have been possible for the whole scene without a grad filter for the sky.

Does your meter have an incident setting or a spot setting?

the forgrounds were correctly exposed, I think i can spot meter on it if i change the thing that covers the light sensor.

Would slide film cope better with the skys? than black and white film?

I am going to london next week as part of my college course. I am planning on shooting some slide film in my bronica. I have read that exposures have to be spot on when using slide film but my bronica doesnt have a built in meter, i will be using the ambent setting on the meter i use for my studio work.

paul

Hi Paul,
I would make sure you take a incident reading with the little dome off the top of the light meter. With the skys like CT said the sky may well have just been to bright, watch where the sun is as well. With the slide film their is so little room for error your better to bracket your exspoures to get it bang on and so you don't have to make another visit because time is money.

Paul, it sounds like you need to get a handle on metering technique mate. Hand metering isn't quite as simple as we sometimes rather glibly say it is, and the best meter in the world wont help if you don't appreciate how to adjust the indicated exposure to suit a particular scene. Like everything else, you get better at hand metering with a little experimenting and practice, and it's something I'd urge you to do.

However this day is looming large, and as the shots are quite important to you, you could do a lot worse than meter with your DSLR on the day - just make sure you have the same ISO set in both cameras.

Even better from a bulk point of view is a little digital compact. My G9 is ideal for this as you can put the camera in Manual mode and actually see the effect of any adjustments you make on the camera screen. Usually these little cameras have a zoom lens which should enable you to match the FOV to the film camera for very accurate exposure, and they don't take up any more room than a hand held meter anyway.

Back