SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
_DSC2246 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Took this the other day on Skye. I spent the morning at Blaven as the winds were forecast to be lighter there - I went up afterwards to recce some waterfalls for an upcoming workshop and then onto Eas Mor waterfall which I will do in the summer/autumn as there are a lot of trees around it. Upon parking I could see it was still down at the Lochan so there was no two ways about it, this was getting the full Stephen Taylor treatment.

I'll do the Blaven thread separately later but quite fancied this as a composition so going back tomorrow AM to get the first light there

Lovely shot Steve.

Glad you like it - this is really the sort of photograph I want to get to take ALL the time but our weather doesn't permit it so I dabble in non reflective scenes.

I was back yesterday to get better light, I did but I didn't get the clouds and textures in the sky until 90mins after sunrise, by which the light wasn't as nice as it was first thing. I've found another loch and some vantage points so expect more of this in the coming weeks/months once we move into summer, my favourite season.

Very nice as always, and again lovely post processing. Also it is interesting to see that this is not a wide angle photograph even tough it feels like one.

I tend not to use very wide angles, I prefer a more natural perspective that comes with a slightly longer fl.

I own a 16-35 but I don’t like it much. I own the new 20mm f1.8 from nikkor which is a lovely little lens (prefer it infinitely to the 16-35) and a sigma 24mm art which is lovely if I need to go that wide.

From a perspective point of view I find focal lengths between 28-60mm give more pleasing and natural perspectives (ie not squashed like some telephoto landscapes can look) and not stretched out with massive foregrounds with small distant features the way an ultra wide lens can do.

Processing wise, not a lot done here because not a lot needed done, it was a gorgeous scene and great to be there.

I really like this one and the snow gives a nice contrast with the colours on the hillside, I would maybe crop a little from the bottom? Just to balance it out, look forward to seeing some more

Back