Slightly dopey novice question re flying to America and camera kit

Rule 1 - carry the gear in a bag that is small enough to fit under seat.

Rule 2 - if said bag is larger, then the case needs to be something like a pelican.

Do not use a soft wheel carry on and expect it will 100% not be checked. You can argue until you are blue in the face but when push comes to shove, it will be you who will get shove off the plane for being disorderly.

I have had experience (in the States) where I got to the gate and the plane turns out to be one of those small aircraft where the overhead is only large enough for a laptop bag (1 seat/aisle/2seats plane). You can argue what you want but no regular cabin wheelie bag will fit overhead so it has to be checked. My pelican therefore went into the hold.

On my recent trip to Vienna, like 4 days ago. At the gate they had to check my cabin case because the flight was full. This was with BA and you are allowed up to one cabin case and one laptop bag. My camera was in my wotancraft Ryker which was fine and I took my laptop out of the wheelie case and let them check it. On the way back I didn’t check anything at all.

Last edited:
How do they deal with the regulations that state that Lithium batteries mustn't go in the hold?

Rule 1 - carry the gear in a bag that is small enough to fit under seat.

Rule 2 - if said bag is larger, then the case needs to be something like a pelican.

Do not use a soft wheel carry on and expect it will 100% not be checked. You can argue until you are blue in the face but when push comes to shove, it will be you who will get shove off the plane for being disorderly.

I have had experience (in the States) where I got to the gate and the plane turns out to be one of those small aircraft where the overhead is only large enough for a laptop bag (1 seat/aisle/2seats plane). You can argue what you want but no regular cabin wheelie bag will fit overhead so it has to be checked. My pelican therefore went into the hold.

On my recent trip to Vienna, like 4 days ago. At the gate they had to check my cabin case because the flight was full. This was with BA and you are allowed up to one cabin case and one laptop bag. My camera was in my wotancraft Ryker which was fine and I took my laptop out of the wheelie case and let them check it. On the way back I didn’t check anything at all.

I think you're advising me to expect the unexpected. Thank you.

My normal soft-sided shoulder bag really won't accomodate the 100-400 as well as the camera body and another lens (well it will when it's a matter of placing it gently on the back seat of the car or carrying it with care) so I shall be keeping an eye on camera kit bag Christmas sales.

I think you're advising me to expect the unexpected. Thank you.

My normal soft-sided shoulder bag really won't accomodate the 100-400 as well as the camera body and another lens (well it will when it's a matter of placing it gently on the back seat of the car or carrying it with care) so I shall be keeping an eye on camera kit bag Christmas sales.

I am just preparing you for the worst case scenario and with air travel, always prepare for that. That means insurance on your gear should it get damaged or lost.

I also didn't tell you that after the pelican came out the other end, both latches were open and what held it together was my pad locks. Had it not been for them, everything would've fallen out. So on the return leg of that trip I put duct tape round the case.

This is what I travelled to Vienna with, the blue case went into the hold but my camera is in my Ryker.

Whmu7xh.jpg

This is what I travelled to the States with, all my camera gear was in the Pelican.

T6xpGkc.jpg

Last edited:
I would say be somewhat careful when it comes to putting carry on luggage with equipment in it into the overhead storage as it can sometimes get pretty crowded leading to people trying ram stuff in, really just keep an eye on things as to make sure nobody does this and if possible use hard sided luggage yourself.

Thieves too, my daughter had her passport stolen en-route to Vienna from a bag in the overheads, that was a BA flight.

I would say be somewhat careful when it comes to putting carry on luggage with equipment in it into the overhead storage as it can sometimes get pretty crowded leading to people trying ram stuff in, really just keep an eye on things as to make sure nobody does this and if possible use hard sided luggage yourself.

Thieves too, my daughter had her passport stolen en-route to Vienna from a bag in the overheads, that was a BA flight.

I always prefer the aisle seat + putting my bags on the overhead on the other side of the aisle so that I can see it if people open it and I get to it first on landing.

First of all, I hope you have a wonderful trip - it sounds amazing to travel in the States for a few weeks and meet up with family/friends.

If you were only going for a week and to the east USA I would say to forget taking any heavy equipment except for either your 5DII and a 50 or to buy a used 35 and just use that. Or get a used Fuji or Sony as the last thing you want to be doing is walking for hours on end with a heavy camera set up.

However, since you'll be going to the western states and no doubt be driving a lot, I think the equipment you've stated will be fine. Perhaps the 100-400 would be a good idea, bearing in mind the amazing landscape where everything is far away? It's actually the opposite to Europe, where a WA lens is really useful. It would also be good for wildlife too. Don't forget a tripod (or you can buy one there).

I find myself looking forward to the holiday of a lifetime during 2019 with a trip to America, visiting family and friends in the Western States, I'm going for several weeks.

I haven't travelled by aeroplane for over 25 years - I'm reliably informed that passengers sit inside these days hahaha. In terms of flying anywhere I class myself as a 99% novice.

This will be a holiday for taking snaps of people and photos of landscape and wildlife.

Here's my thinking and I'm really inviting advice based on practical experience please:

Kit:
5DII + battery grip and lenses or Samsung Note 8 phone cam - do I enjoy the ability to get the best out of every situation with the option of using either piece of kit or do I simply travel light with the phonecam?

If 5DII kit, I'm probably going to want to take my 16-35L and 70-200L and CP filters, (leaving behind 50mm, 100-400L and all mf lenses) plus spare batteries and charger. I probably wouldn't take a flash unit.There'srowing weight issue here and a practicality in terms of what else I might need to carry. I use a padded shoulder bag which will just accomodate the camera & grip, the two lenses, filters and a couple of spare batteries but I wouldn't trust it to absorb a serious bash.

I bought a Samsonite Paradiver soft wheeled cabin case at an outlet for £50 which I had planned to take on European city breaks of 3-4 days but I'm not sure if I would need to check it and have a separate backpack or case similar to yours for my camera gear as I might not have enough room for 4 days with clothes etc. Have you ever just taken one cabin luggage case for a 3-4 day break?

This is what I travelled to Vienna with, the blue case went into the hold but my camera is in my Ryker.

Whmu7xh.jpg

I bought a Samsonite Paradiver soft wheeled cabin case at an outlet for £50 which I had planned to take on European city breaks of 3-4 days but I'm not sure if I would need to check it and have a separate backpack or case similar to yours for my camera gear as I might not have enough room for 4 days with clothes etc. Have you ever just taken one cabin luggage case for a 3-4 day break?

Regularly take just a wheeled case and light camera bag on short European breaks, but travel mainly by Eurostar and connecting trains
If flying the wheeled bag goes in the hold and light camera bag under seat, can't be doing with all that trying to jam bags in lockers.

Yes, makes sense I guess. I'm planning to take the Eurostar to Lyon and possibly use connecting trains to other cities for short breaks, so can take the wheeled cabin case.

I don't think I can get away with only cabin luggage for flights so it'll have to go in the hold if I'm taking my A7RIII and 1-2 lenses. If I took my RX1R then no problem ;)

Regularly take just a wheeled case and light camera bag on short European breaks, but travel mainly by Eurostar and connecting trains
If flying the wheeled bag goes in the hold and light camera bag under seat, can't be doing with all that trying to jam bags in lockers.

I just did, that photo was for Berlin trip back in May. Last week I went to Vienna with the exact set up, same bags.

2 weeks before that I went to Lisbon but with the Paul Smith bag from the other photo instead.

Tips of packing -

1 - Wear your coat, don't pack it
2 - Roll your clothes, don't fold it
3 - Pack minimal, travel size everything. I also don't pack shower gel or shampoo as the hotel has them.
4 - Try to get USB charger for everything, then just get 1 with multi port.
5 - Fly BA, it has a 23kg weight limit for cabin bags.

My clothes goes into the case, important stuff like Passport, wallet, camera in my Ryker/Messenger bag. Should I lose the case, i can replace my clothes easily enough with a single trip to GAP. It's 4 sets of T-shirts, socks and underwear, perhaps a charger from an electronic store and a few bits of toiletries.

Yes, makes sense I guess. I'm planning to take the Eurostar to Lyon and possibly use connecting trains to other cities for short breaks, so can take the wheeled cabin case.

I don't think I can get away with only cabin luggage for flights so it'll have to go in the hold if I'm taking my A7RIII and 1-2 lenses. If I took my RX1R then no problem ;)

The Ryker can fit my A7III, 35 and 50 Zeiss F/1.4 easily with room to spare.

In fact, last week I had a A73 with 35/1.4 and a Fuji X-Pro 1 with a 35/1.4 in it. still room for a rocket blower, batteries, passport etc.

No problem at all on Eurostar although I usually use the racks by the doors, makes getting off quick for connections easier.
The Brussels trains have quite short connecting times for the onwards ICE's, think my next one only has about 15 minutes leeway.

I just did, that photo was for Berlin trip back in May. Last week I went to Vienna with the exact set up, same bags.

2 weeks before that I went to Lisbon but with the Paul Smith bag from the other photo instead.

Tips of packing -

3 - Pack minimal, travel size everything. I also don't pack shower gel or shampoo as the hotel has them.

My clothes goes into the case, important stuff like Passport, wallet, camera in my Ryker/Messenger bag. Should I lose the case, i can replace my clothes easily enough with a single trip to GAP. It's 4 sets of T-shirts, socks and underwear, perhaps a charger from an electronic store and a few bits of toiletries.

I checked my wheeled bag in for Berlin with BA, all liquids and other junk including travel tripod went in it.
Flew into Tegel and baggage claim was very quick, by the time I had got off and used the facilities my bag appeared.
Admittedly not so speedy at London City, not quite sure why people bother taking such huge bags in the cabin.
BA have checked bag allowance included in the ticket price so why not use it

Last edited:
I may have to use EasyJet for city breaks as they tend to be cheaper than BA (well, last time I checked both websites, anyway).

I've tried messenger style bags but find they hurt with the pressure around my neck/traps, especially if I'm carrying a camera and lenses. When I went to Croatia last year I just took my RX1R which was light and just so easy, especially since you have to climb hundreds of steps around Dubrovnik. Thinking of carrying either the A7RIII + 24-70 GM or A7RIII + Batis 18 + Zeiss 55 for Europe.

Tips of packing -

Have you done many trips where you connected at Brussels/Paris/Lyon, Rich?

Is it quite straightforward and easy? (Message me if you like as I feel I'm derailing the OP's thread)

No problem at all on Eurostar although I usually use the racks by the doors, makes getting off quick for connections easier.
The Brussels trains have quite short connecting times for the onwards ICE's, think my next one only has about 15 minutes leeway.

Have you done many trips where you connected at Brussels/Paris/Lyon, Rich?

Is it quite straightforward and easy? (Message me if you like as I feel I'm derailing the OP's thread)

PM sent, was going off course so sorry OP

I may have to use EasyJet for city breaks as they tend to be cheaper than BA (well, last time I checked both websites, anyway).

I've tried messenger style bags but find they hurt with the pressure around my neck/traps, especially if I'm carrying a camera and lenses. When I went to Croatia last year I just took my RX1R which was light and just so easy, especially since you have to climb hundreds of steps around Dubrovnik. Thinking of carrying either the A7RIII + 24-70 GM or A7RIII + Batis 18 + Zeiss 55 for Europe.

Just because there is the free checked in bag doesn't mean I have to use it. I don't need to carry all that stuff when i am travelling for a few days so i won't. It's a lot of things

1 - Large case that i have to lug around on travel days
2 - Queue to check in bag
3 - Wait at the carousel (pot luck how soon yours come out)
4 - Lost luggage
5 - Delay luggage

It is much easier to have just 1 small case I can literally throw around, never worry about it being lost or delayed. Last year I went to Lisbon via T5 and my checked in bag never made it on the flight at all, and all my clothes was in there. I went there to shoot a wedding so my pelican with my cameras was okay but my suitcase didn't turn up for another 6 hours in a later flight.

Back