Slik 88 Black Diamond Tripod

Extend legs, open legs, attach camera, take pictures? Unless there's something special about the way that model works.

I've got the Slik 88 Black Diamond and as Steep says it pretty much works like any other tripod.

There are 3 leg sections and then another low level working section. The centre section raises through the geared handle....just twist/unlock at the centre first.

Pan and tile head - easy to operate.

A solid tripod - never had a problem with it.

I've got a similar issue - not having used a tripod before I'm not sure how everything works, in particular the various controls for the head.

I have just bought a used Slik 88 with a head (not sure what the head actually is though!)

Can anyone point me to some instructions?

The best thing to do is experiment, and youll get a better idea of what each lever does.

I'm not sure about that particular model, but a typical 3 way pan head, one unlocks the horizontal axis (left to right), another unlocks the vertical (up down), and another unlocks the portrait / landscape mode (tilt). :)

:agree: Twiddle with everything until you know how everything works, then when you are in the field it should come naturally.

Talking of the Slik 88, does anyone know what it actually or officially weighs? It feels like it should be in the cwt category but no doubt is only a few kilos.

It's time I replaced my tripod and I'm trying to understand what 1.8 or 2.3 kg means in comparison.

Ta.

Thanks for your suggestions, I did have a good twiddle last night and I think I've worked it all out!

High ross, the slick 88 tripod is a great piece of kit. I may take a bit of stick regarding this but i don't care because everyone uses either Manfrotto, Gitzo's and some other expensive tripods but the slick 88 really is a great tripod once you start to understand how to use it. I took off the slick head ( which is total pants) and replaced it with the Manfrotto 141 RC Head. This combination is really really good. Now for the good bit... The 88's legs can be moved to ANY angle from folded in to 90 degrees in either one movement or to Any angle in between. Most other tripods have a three stage click and thats it. The legs have a set of braces on each leg which provide tremendious stability, all you have to do is lock them off once you've stretched them out to what ever angle you require. I have used a couple of tripods over the years just to see how they all compare, but for the money... the 88 takes some beating. I have made a hook that will screw onto the bottom of the tripod shaft for hanging a plastic bag with a few stones in it for extra support in windy conditions and it works great. If you buy a further tripod, you could also cut the shaft down. This would get you to within 6 inches from the ground. The only other tripods i know that come close to doing this are the Benbo's and the Gitzo explorer but the price difference is staggering. I've been using mine for nearly 20 yrs with my Canon F1N's and 400mm lens and the tripod handles the weight with no problem. Just get shut of the slick head.:thumbsdown:

I had one for a few years but wore it out, The leg locks started cracking.
as tripods go it is fairly light and the head is mostly plastic.
Over the years they have been very popular as they are, what might be called one of the better affordable entry level serious tripods.

Like any new kit a few hours play finds out all about it, and what it can do.

No need to work it out, for anyone who wants a photocopy I have the original Instruction leaflet that came with my tripod about 30yrs ago which has been in use for all that time. It is only just having problems now (Centre column crank came loose)

Dont know how to work a tripod ? Simples :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

sorry just being cheeky thought it funny, hope you suss it out soon :clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:
Back