Non UK Slovenia

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All.
I`m thinking of a 5 day adventure in Slovenia, Maybe near Bled, Initially I will drive as I am in the Southeast of France so bordering on 1000 klms with a stop over in Italy I think.
I was thinking about going February.
What I would like to know is.
What are the People like.
Are the Roads ok.
Is it Dangerous ( OK I know it`s not like Central London) but you never know,
Anything else I wold need to know ?

Thanks for any ideas/Help.

The people are very nice and helpful with English almost the main language! (Just remember to agree that they invented Pizza not the Italians)
The roads are very good, better than some of the UK ones, DRLs or dipped headlights at all times.
Not dangerous at all.
Bohinj is worth a visit if you are near Bled.
A really beautiful area, a bit like Austria.

Until ten years ago, I would spend at least a month, often six weeks in Slovenia every year. I did this for six or seven years.

I found the people to be very friendly and welcoming. They were also very polite and keen to practice their English at every opportunity.

The roads in general are very good - certainly better maintained than ours are.

Safety wise, it's definitely one of the better ones to visit. According to the Global Peace Report 2022, Slovenia is among the safest countries in the world, ranking 7th on the list - link.

As I said, it's been a while for me, but I always found the prices of food and drink to be very good - a lot cheaper than other countries like Italy, France, Spain and Greece that I used to visit almost as frequently.

It is also a very beautiful country and if you take a camera you'll have plenty to photograph. :snaphappy:

Last edited:
The people are very nice and helpful with English almost the main language! (Just remember to agree that they invented Pizza not the Italians)
The roads are very good, better than some of the UK ones, DRLs or dipped headlights at all times.
Not dangerous at all.
Bohinj is worth a visit if you are near Bled.
A really beautiful area, a bit like Austria.
Thanks Kev.
It`s comforting to hear that it`s a safe country, I guess the only thing to be on the look out for is the Boar (As here in France)
Good to hear about the Roads.
I`ll be visiting various places and on the lookout for those churches that I have seen on YT.
Appreciate your comment (y)

Until ten years ago, I would spend at least a month, often six weeks in Slovenia every year. I did this for six or seven years.

I found the people to be very friendly and welcoming. They were also very polite and keen to practice their English at every opportunity.

The roads in general are very good - certainly better maintained the ours are.

Safety wise, it's definitely one of the better ones to visit. According to the Global Peace Report 2022, Slovenia is among the safest countries in the world, ranking 7th on the list - link.

As I said, it's been a while for me, but I always found the prices of food and drink to be very good - a lot cheaper than other countries like Italy, France, Spain and Greece that I used to visit almost as frequently.

It is also a very beautiful country and if you take a camera you'll have plenty to photograph. :snaphappy:
Thanks Trevor.
Luckily that`s one of the reasons I want to go there and the other is our Wedding Anniversary so yes I`ll be taking my Camera everywhere with me.
It`s always nice to hear other Peoples views on another countries safety and how the People are towards Tourists.
Thanks for the Link, Appreciated (y)

Reactions: Sky
First went in 1988 (pre independence). Been half a dozen times since. Feb is obviously winter and so snow about and you could ski in Kranjska Gora or walk in Triglav National Park.
Fantastic friendly people and cheap to eat and drink.

First went in 1988 (pre independence). Been half a dozen times since. Feb is obviously winter and so snow about and you could ski in Kranjska Gora or walk in Triglav National Park.
Fantastic friendly people and cheap to eat and drink.
Thanks for the time to reply, Mrs G loves a bit of snow and as we have all the cold weather gear walking with rackets is a plan, no chance of Skiing though as we don`t Ski.

I'd love to go and explore Slovenia... seeing the photos of Lake Bled etc....amazing how close to the Brenner Pass it is.

Knowing one Slovenian, any mention of Croats or Croatia is best avoided while you are there...

Thanks Kev.
It`s comforting to hear that it`s a safe country, I guess the only thing to be on the look out for is the Boar (As here in France)
Good to hear about the Roads.
I`ll be visiting various places and on the lookout for those churches that I have seen on YT.
Appreciate your comment (y)
Don't forget to look out for the bears! o_O But, if it is any consolation some of the naughtiest bears have been captured and shipped to France.

When we visited around 2001 in spring there were a lot of meadow flowers and large raptors. Lake Bled is spectacular and the flower market in Lunjiana is worth seeing.

Hope that you enjoy it.

Back