Slow workflow problems... HELP

Name
Ste
Edit My Images
No
Gary mate, Tell me more if the OP doesnt mind.

At the moment....

I open CS2 if I have album of 150 shots say
I click open, Then select 1st 70 (ish) it takes about 25 mins to open all them in editor then about 15 mins to simply crop for web (not resize)
Then do 2nd half of album
Close CS2
Open Elements 6
Times that by 3 or 4 albums my PP is taking up all Saturday night and Sunday nights after games.

Obviously for deadline I only select the few I need. This is doing my head in never mind the wifes, If out all day shooting my nights are took up with the above, Its not as if its extensive PP, Its simply croping and maybe odd 3 or 4 straightening.

Cheers bud

Ste

Youre seriously kidding me, right.

I can open 5-600 photos, most of a 4gb card in about 5 minutes into image editor.

Typical Sunday afternoon, shoot a game, get home about 5-5.30pm, stcik CF card in Belkin reader, open Elements, browse to card reader, open folder, wait 30 seconds or so for card to update and download thumbnail and meta data, quick scan and select 30-40 images and open them in less than a minute, pick 6-8 and resize at 7x5 inch @ 300ppi, caption and save at level 8 then send to newspapers for 6pm

Back to browse, click first image, hold shift and click last image, select open, all images start to open, first 100 or so take approx 1 sec each to open then it slows down a little as Ram is used up and rest of images are cached to scratch disk (2nd internal drive) from then on it takes about 5 minutes for all to open, just enough time to make a brew and check the images i sent to papers have got there.

All this has taken place before 6pm, the next hour or so is spent filtering through all images and cropping and saving 60-70 photos at 7x5 and 300dpi for the agency, those 60-70 and then batch resized to 700x500px at 72dpi and then uploaded to my website.

The 300dpi versions are then sent via an external mail server to rlphotos.com to be sorted at that end.

7pm-7.30pm im sat on the sofa with my supper.

Following day the whole card is transferred to internal and back up external storage, takes about 3-4 minutes.

And thats why i stick with Elements 2, its so quick.

The Photoshop scratch disk is your hard drive. Photoshop uses your hard drive as temporary "swap" space, or virtual memory, when your system does not have enough RAM to perform an operation.

If you only have one hard drive or partition in your computer, then the scratch disk will be the drive where your operating system is installed (the C drive on a Windows system).

You can change the scratch disk location and add multiple scratch disks from Photoshop Preferences. Many power users like to create a dedicated hard drive partition for the Photoshop scratch disk.

Although Photoshop will function with a single scratch disk on the system partition, you can improve performance by setting the scratch disk to be the fastest drive in your system.

Other useful guidelines for setting scratch disks are to avoid using the same drive where your operating system is installed, avoid using a drive where the files you edit are stored, and don't use network or removable drives for a scratch disk.

Photoshop also needs a large system page file (2gigs) is ideal.

When running photoshop open task manager, under the processes tab right click photoshop and set priority to either high or realtime.

In your photoshop preferences allocate much more ram to photoshop

Ram, Ram, whatever youve got you need more and its the quickest, simplest and cheapest way to speed up photoshop, ill assume youre a total PC idiot here.

Right click the my computer icon on your desktop and secect properties, under the general tab it will tell you how much Ram you have installed, 1gb isnt enough, 2-4 is good.

Oh Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh :eek:

Processor; AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+ 2.40GHz
Memory; 1.00 GB
System Type; 32 Bit Operating System

:thumbsdown:

Right then, Time to sort that little lot out, Im gathering I can buy extra RAM ? Any pointers on type and expected cost (so I know Im not being diddled)

TIA

Ok guys, As you can make out Ive made my own thread as I went off on one and highjacked Moonrakers thread (sorry again)

Any help.

Im gathering I can buy more RAM, What type, make etc and roughly how much cost wise, Just to make sure Im not being ripped off.

Will this then allow me to create Scratch Disk?

go to www.crucial.com and run the test, this will tell you the type of Ram your motherboard supports and how many available slots you have, it will also give you a list of suitable ram to buy, the current 1gb you have isnt enough to run photoshop nice and quickly, do you really need photoshop anyway?????? as you have Elements.

You need another hard drive installed to create a scratch disk, pick up a cheapo one off ebay and bang it in for about a tenner. you could always partition your current hard drive.

More RAM will make PS run quicker, but the scratch disk is an actual hard disk. That PS uses when it has run out of RAM.

If you are running a desktop the best thing to do is buy a small/fast HD and use that only as your scratch disk. Ideally you don't want the scratch disk to be on the drive where you have PS installed, or where the images you are working on are, that way PS can read both sets of information at the same time, rather than flicking one drive between reading two types on information.

scratch disk is the bit of the hard drive PS uses for storing temporary bits on as it works.
More ram will mean you don't use the scratch disk.
Some guys have seperate very fast empty drives they use as scratch disks (usually a small raptor or these days SSD if you have cash).

To upgrade your ram dl cpu-7 and let us know what it says then we can advise you on what to buy ;)

Crucial reports this....

Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB
Currently Installed Memory: 0MB
Available Memory Slots: 4
Number of Banks: 4
Dual Channel Support: Yes
CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+ Model 15, Stepping 2
CPU Speed: 1800 MHz

erm according to tthat you have no ram, as such your computer cannot get past bios ?
bit illogical

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.

ok so you want a couple of sticks of pc25300 ram

guessing a desktop from 4 ram slots
you need a pair of these http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119261
or these
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/91121

still don't get why it claims you have no ram

@craikeybaby - thats the wrong way round you wan't PS to be looking on different drives (real not virtual, excepting raid and clever stuff) that way you have 2 databusses working half as hard for the same speed or just twice the speed (theoretical not actual) :D

David, It is a desktop yeh, I never even noticed that about no RAM, I will go and run the cp7 thing you suggested.

Heres hoping I can sort it <prays>

the info on the ram really, what speed ect. If you just post the motherboard specs (as in model and manufacturer) I should be able to google the details from there.

It is a bit disturbing about your crucial info - probably right but worth confirming

A Packard Bell as well by the looks of it, PC World never did supply the quickest macvkines.

Ram is very cheap, max out and get the whole 4gb, windows will only recognise about 3.3gb of it but what the heck.

@craikeybaby - thats the wrong way round you wan't PS to be looking on different drives (real not virtual, excepting raid and clever stuff) that way you have 2 databusses working half as hard for the same speed or just twice the speed (theoretical not actual) :D

That's what I meant, but you put it better.

Well guys, An update is I got the system upgraded to 3gb RAM now and PS is running rapid, Got a couple of games on tomorrow so will see how it performs under test. Thanks for your advice all

On this pc (I have three) it is maxed out at a whole 2gb. I don't have any issues really but it'd be nicer to go faster, always a good thing. I guess a whole new motherboard is the only way forward for this machine.

Also dont get a small cheap drive....it is much better if you pick up a 500/750/1000Gb drive since the higher data density will make them alot quicker than say a 250gb at the same 7.2k rpm. Sell you current one if you need to.
But yea, max out the ram.

I'd second that. Though i've only got 2gb on this machine, i have a 500gb sata II, and fast external drives as well. So i don't have issues like i used to when things started getting hectic on my old machine :)

Also, i'm testing out a twin monitor set up as of today (big thanks to a certain poster) and it really can help you work faster.

Back