Slowly cross fading videos made from still images

Name
Jem Raid
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello there.

Briefly, I went to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park and saw they had an exhibition of Bill Viola's video work I was mildly interested being an amateur photographer. Went to have a peep and ended up being there for most of the afternoon. He uses high speed cameras to make very slow motion videos, I'd never seen anything like it.

Mulling it over back home, I suddenly thought I could do something like that, I'd been making montages for years. That was in 2015 in January 2016 I had my first screening at a gallery in Sheffield. I was concerned, could it be considered a video made from still images. Fortunately the Media Studies crowd came across from the Uni over the road and gave an emphatic yes. Phew! I thought thank goodness for that.

I've recently gone back to it and this is my latest offering, called Hope

View: https://youtu.be/D3a5S7vyMNI

It's twelve minutes long, I made the soundtrack using Rob Jackson's Moodscaper an iPad app, which will run on my old s/h iPad 4. Best with headphones the sound track goes from quiet to quite loud.

Cheers - J

ps One of the reasons I joined this forum was the inclusion of video work, several I tried would not allow it, fair play to TP.

Hello there,

I sent the above to this

Category: Call for Artists
Type: Exhibitions, Film & Video, Photography
City: New York
Organisation: Big Screen Plaza
Eligibility: International

Entry fee: no

https://www.artjobs.com/open-calls/...en-call-artonscreen-exhibition-new-york-city#

Well you never know they might accept it, I used to get about 1 in 3.

Scams the Art Call caper is full of them

Beware!! Those who accept work straightaway, those who send great long lists in PDF's and then ask for $100's. Those who ask for money to buy; projection equipment, fancy screens, hire of venue and offer to send your work worldwide (you can do that yourself)

And especially beware of Mr (filthy) Luca Curci whose been scamming since 2008!
Read all about it here: http://badartbad.blogspot.com/2007/12/luca-curci-and-artexpo-scam.html
He threatened to sue me my bit is in the above, I replied "see you in court, mate" He claims to live in a Venetian Palace actually it's a hostel and they sell a few half dead potted plants from the courtyard.

Vanity, that's what they all thrive on.

I will pay for instance a Uni or College group $5 to $10, after checking up on them, find who their tutor, lecturer, professor is and email them.

It's all such great fun and the replies when I've sent SCAM in an email are hilarious :)

Cheers - J

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Jem. Is there more of a story to the video? Im
Hopeless on art appreciation, I didn’t get it.

Well done for completing the video project and sharing it here. I'm not sure what you are looking for from the TP massive, just appreciation? Critique? Just wanting put your work out there? Any or all of these are fine but I think people tend to shy away from threads that don't have some specific direction

Hello Tim,

Thanks for the question, it's a really difficult one to answer.
I started the one above with the side of a rusty metal shed found on an allotment and gradually altered it the rest followed on. A bit of polycarb roofing stuff and a breadbasket.

But that's not what you want to know, as I got further into it, I thought variously about, life, hope in the face of adversity and distractions, false gods and is there a life after this one. I deliberately made the soundtrack to give a sort of rising message of Hope every time the figure appears.

But, is it hopes dashed or maintained, I think that depends on your outlook on life.

Cheers - P

ps Incidentally the above was done to get back into it after a 4 year break. By starting again with all the separate images and putting them back together. I'd submitted the first one to a call from the Video Dance Center of Burgundy - Le Festival International de Vidéo Danse de Bourgogne 2016 it was their video of the week and is in their permanent collection. I also received some really inspirational advice from the two curators.

Last edited:
Hello @sirch

Thanks for the nice comment.
I don't really mind what people say I always answer everything to the best of my ability
A sort of direction may become apparent when I post the next one I am preparing though it will take several weeks before I can resurrect the thread and bung it in.
It's (an) ecstasy a call from the CUVO Festival 2023 in Madrid

Looking at the stats on YT just now I see 82 people have looked at the above so far.

Cheers - J

Last edited:
Hello Tim,

Thanks for the question, it's a really difficult one to answer.
I started the one above with the side of a rusty metal shed found on an allotment and gradually altered it the rest followed on. A bit of polycarb roofing stuff and a breadbasket.

But that's not what you want to know, as I got further into it, I thought variously about, life, hope in the face of adversity and distractions, false gods and is there a life after this one. I deliberately made the soundtrack to give a sort of rising message of Hope every time the figure appears.

But, is it hopes dashed or maintained, I think that depends on your outlook on life.

Cheers - J

ps Incidentally the above was done to get back into it after a 4 year break. By starting again with all the separate images and putting them back together. I'd submitted the first one to a call from the Video Dance Center of Burgundy - Le Festival International de Vidéo Danse de Bourgogne 2016 it was their video of the week and is in their permanent collection. I also received some really inspirational advice from the two curators.
Thanks this helps a lot to understand it. It makes an uncomfortable connection with me. Maybe because I’m a born optimist and there is something about this that makes me sad.

Hello Tim,

That's great! Lovely to hear your reaction, thanks ever such a lot, it makes the whole thing worthwhile doing :)

Cheers - P

Last edited:
Back