SLR Cycling bag.

Name
Julia
Edit My Images
Yes
On a recent cycling tour I found I wasn't taking enough photos, largely due to the faff involved in stopping, taking my backpack off, rummaging around for the camera, taking a photo, put it back in pack and put the pack on my back.

The backpack contained just my camera and biscuits. Seeing as I can put the biscuits in a bike bag, I would like to find a better solution for carrying my camera on the bike. It's a 650d + 17-85mm lens.

Can anyone recommend a good way of carrying a dSLR when cycling that's easy to access without too much faff?

Thanks

J

I have panniers on my bike. The padded insert from a cheapo Chinese camera bag fits perfectly and turns a pannier into a camera bag.

Doesn't help me for a number of reasons.

- I don't have panniers on my bike
- That's even more faff than the backpack
- I am concerned for the vibration, cobbled streets, cattle grids and the like do not sound good to a camera on the bike

It's also worth noting this is the reason that saddle bags, and bar bags have been discounted.

Currently I'm pondering if a Lowe Pro Inverse 100 AW would be a suitable solution.

J

If you want real speed, I sometimes use a sling strap - The Black Rapid RS-7 has carried my SLR + 70-200 for miles and miles and never dropped off. It's fine in the summer but doesn't protect the camera in inclement weather. If you go down this route, I'd advise getting a decent one. It's also really useful if you're on foot too.

Have you tried beltpacks before? The one you suggested seems pretty good, but for me, it looks like it would get in the way of the movement needed to cycle. Maybe get to a shop to try before you buy?

I know you discounted a panier, but just in case someone uses search and finds the thread... I cycle and photograph a lot. These days, my back can't take the weight of everything if you add a flask and biscuits!. I bought a cheap rear rack from Halfords which is really easy to fit and then added 2 of these baskets. My Think Tank messenger fits perfectly into the basket. It's got all the protection of the camera bag against any vibration and camera access is just a case of flipping open the flap. I can add a tripod and lunch and I'm set for the day without getting home with aching shoulders. These baskets fold away when not in use which is dead handy. You won't win any fashion competitions but they really work. Plus if I get off the bike and go into a shop, I can just take the bag with me.

Have you tried beltpacks before? The one you suggested seems pretty good, but for me, it looks like it would get in the way of the movement needed to cycle. Maybe get to a shop to try before you buy?

No, you've lost me. How is a belt pack like the Inverse 100 AW going to get in the way of the movement of cycling? Surely it's worn on the back, and thus has no more interaction in the cycling movement than a waist belt on a backpack would have? Or have I missed something?

I know you discounted a panier, but just in case someone uses search and finds the thread... I cycle and photograph a lot. These days, my back can't take the weight of everything if you add a flask and biscuits!. I bought a cheap rear rack from Halfords which is really easy to fit and then added 2 of these baskets. My Think Tank messenger fits perfectly into the basket. It's got all the protection of the camera bag against any vibration and camera access is just a case of flipping open the flap. I can add a tripod and lunch and I'm set for the day without getting home with aching shoulders. These baskets fold away when not in use which is dead handy. You won't win any fashion competitions but they really work. Plus if I get off the bike and go into a shop, I can just take the bag with me.

My bike is a Brompton, hence no pannier. I also don't want to risk the vibration from the bike. Hence wearing it on my body where it is a bit more isolated from the vibration of cobbles and the like.

J

You can get handlebar bags for bromptons, with some padding such as flight cases that would be fine.

I ended up just wearing my camera via its strap if I wanted to take my SLR.

If you get I cheapy padded insert I wouldn't b worried about vibrations - the insert should dampen it out and cameras are pretty damn tough.

Alternatively, if you don't want to go with one of the suggestions, buy a compact.

I dont know how much you want to spend but I used the lowepro Photosport for a while, and found that very handy, side entrance for the camera so you dont have to remove the bag totally, and also extra room for food, drink, spare jacket etc.

The only real fix for this is a good compact camera that fit's in a pocket or bumbag.
With motorbikes a tank bag makes it much easier, otherwise same issue of backpack or panniers being too much trouble for a quick snap or two.

You can get handlebar bags for bromptons, with some padding such as flight cases that would be fine.

Not an option, as I have the T bag there with all my luggage in, like bivvi bag, sleeping bag etc...

J

Never ever wear the camera on your body when cycling. If you fall off it will damage you!

I regularly use a Brompton in London. It's an S type, so use an S type bag, although the standard bag would do, with a Lowe Pro padded insert which is the same size, fits perfectly and takes a FF camera, lens and flashgun (or two lenses) with loads of room to spare. Safe, easy access, and camera is well padded from road shock and the weather. Get one, don't compromise.

Last edited:
Never ever wear the camera on your body when cycling. If you fall off it will damage you!

I regularly use a Brompton in London. It's an S type, so use an S type bag, although the standard bag would do, with a Lowe Pro padded insert which is the same size, fits perfectly and takes a FF camera, lens and flashgun (or two lenses) with loads of room to spare. Safe, easy access, and camera is well padded from road shock and the weather. Get one, don't compromise.

Ok, so having put my camera in a bag on the front luggage bracket, I now need to find somewhere to put the contents of the T bag. Any ideas where to put the Bivvi bag, sleeping bag, sleep matt, food, water, tarp, tool kit, maps?

J

OMG on a Brompton!

Then get a Brompton rear rack version with gears and a rack top bag for the other stuff. There will still be space for maps, tool kit, bottle in the front bag with your camera. Try it, I have and it will amazingly all fit in. Kitchen sink excluded though ;)

Or the camera can go in the rear bag but not as handy to get at. :(

2rc5riw.jpg

9sh1xt.jpg

And the rack bag

1zd5xt.jpg

On an M version Brompton

aynber.jpg

Last edited:
No mention of a T bag before. It would help if you gave all the options you have tried/considered.
Hows the bike with all that on the front for touring?

Or, as these are commuter bikes, designed to fold up, use a bike designed for touring, so you can have panniers fromt and back?
Or, stick the luggage in a support vehicle

Or buy a smaller camera

Brompton front bag (S type or T type) is unlike a normal bike bar bag as it is frame mounted. But with the Lowe Pro interior the camera/lenses will not suffer.

It rides incredibly well and the additional bulk does not affect the steering therefore. Both demountable with carry/shoulder straps for train travel too.

pannier is your friend.
Camera in the front and biv kit on the back. There are some that will hang off the seat post.
alternatively we often put the point and shoot in a triathlon feed bag on the top tube

Back