small, compact camera with filter capability

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Im currently working all over the place with my job and I would love to capture some of the places in photo. Unfortunately, my DSLR, lens, tripod and filters would take up too much baggage weight and size.
I've seen some smaller cameras (not bridge-not sure what you call them) but they look like they have small compact bodies, with a lens attached.

Is there such a camera which would fit neatly in my bag, with a table-top tripod/gorilla pod and maybe some screw on ND filters?
I don't want to spend a fortune but something nice and compact with similar functions to a DSLR.
Thanks.

Any makes or model numbers? Its gotta be smaller and slimmer than a DSLR.

We have a Fuji X20 which has a filter thread. (I don't have any btw, but think it's 52mm)

Out today at Huddersfield Food and Drink Festival with Lumix G1 and 14-45 and love this set up. Chuffed to bits with the pics - light, comfortable and easy to use.

For £100 you could have G1 and a 14-42 and sorted - and that is 28-84 in 35mm terms.

I actually find 14=28 marvellous for general purpose.

I love my Lumix rig.

Have a look for a Panasonic GM5 or GF7 with a 12-32mm f3.5-5.6 or 14-42mm f3.5-5.6. Double these numbers to get FF equiv. and look for older models to reduce cost. These do have full control but vary on how many buttons and dials.

Other lenses to look at might be the 35-100mm f4-5.6, the Olympus 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6, 17/1.8 and 30mm f3.5 Macro, and the Panasonic 20/1.7. As mentioned above you can generally mix micro four thirds kit from different companies - so you could start with just a body and lens but have the option of getting more later.

You might also look at the Lee Seven5 filter system.

There are loads of lenses in the system, including primes and /2.8 zooms... just depends how what range you want and big you're willing to go.

Last edited:
Why not just take the DSLR and a small 35mm and ditch the tripod (unless you're taking night shots)?

Last edited:
I think the X100 series have build in ND filter? Those are small and compact enough to carry around. Cons are they only have prime lens attached.

Back