Small marks on photos, more evident the higher the Fstop number

Name
Michael Hill
Edit My Images
Yes
So I've been using a bridge camera for a while and finally dipped into a proper DSLR and recently purchased a second hand Canon EOS1100D with the basic 18-55mm lens.

Now I've noticed on photos where I have the aperture up at about F10 or higher there is a noticeable mark on all photos. When I've had it on low (F5ish) you can't even see the marks...

I've cleaned the lens and I've cleaned the light sensor behind the lens.

I'm pretty new to all this so am I missing something obvious?
The marks are not visible through the viewfinder so I'm guessing its not on the lens?

Thanks!

Photo at F5.6
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2066107/F5.6.jpg

Photo at F10
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2066107/F10.jpg

Photo at F16 (Blank wall shot just to show the marks clearly)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2066107/F16.jpg

I suspect you have cleaned the mirror, not the sensor. If you have cleaned the sensor, you haven't done a very good job. That is a dirty sensor........

Ah right! I think your right. Will I probably have to take a part the body a little to get to the sensor?

You won't need to take apart the camera body to get to the sensor. You will need to get the camera to lift the mirror and open the shutter to reveal the sensor. I would suggest reading how to do it before trying. It's possible to damage the shutter if it closes during cleaning. It is quite easy to clean the sensor but only if you know what you are doing.

Hi agree totally with the dirty sensor. Try using the cameras sensor cleaning to start. Then if no go try it in manual mode and just use a rocket air and see if you clear it with that. Failing that unless you are really sure what your doing I would take it in and get sensor cleaned.

Ah right! I think your right. Will I probably have to take a part the body a little to get to the sensor?

No don't take the body apart,you just need to get the mirror up out the way to get to the sensor,your instruction manual should tell you how to do that :)

Just found an online guide, there is an option in the menu that reveals the sensor, I've gently gone over it with a cotton wool bud. The mark has gone but there are still some slight marks which means your right about the dirty sensor haha!

I've cleaned the sensor once on my camera. my camera has started to show sensor marks at narrow apertures but I usually use wide apertures most of the time so it not too much of any issue yet. I try not to clean it more than needed if possible.

Just found an online guide, there is an option in the menu that reveals the sensor, I've gently gone over it with a cotton wool bud. The mark has gone but there are still some slight marks which means your right about the dirty sensor haha!

You need proper cleaning kit, cotton wool buds could create more dust/particles on the sensor.

Stop doing stuff until you know what you're doing. You shouldn't be touching the mirror assembly at all, if that is what you've done in the first instance. Then, as Rob says, don't go sticking cotton buds in your camera either. Everything in there is pretty finely adjusted, and much of it is very easily damaged. You can pay for someone at a camera service centre to do the job properly if you don't know what you're doing. Much cheaper than busting your mirror assembly, or scratching the sensor.

As said, if you know what you're doing, it is cheaper and quicker to do it yourself - but only if you actually do know what you're doing.

That is one very dirty sensor, must have taken a fair effort to get hairs like that in there. (Also, small JPEGs would be fine for showing the problem, no need for downloading full size files on Dropbox).

Back