Small (mini) solid tripod help please

Skyline

Emmet Brickowski
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Not travel size but smaller.
Something that can hold a 7D and a 100mm macro lens.
Gorillapod size but not that one (I had one that broke so have lost confidence in buying that brand again)

I find my Gorillapod very useful, had it for about 18 months and no problems. Just make sure you buy the right size for DSLR + Lens.

How about the Manfrotto Pixi? You can get those for about £20. Guess it depends how flexible you want to be with it.
These are great little tripods and the ball head locks rock solid! I am using one for my sigma merrills but did see a video of a guy using it with a large dslr,think it was Matt Granger.

I find my Gorillapod very useful, had it for about 18 months and no problems. Just make sure you buy the right size for DSLR + Lens.

I had the professional one. One leg broke on it.

How about a Slik Mini II. I use one as a table-top tripod.

I was just watching a youtube video of the Silk. Guy has a mk3 on it and it seemed wobbly

How about the Manfrotto Pixi? You can get those for about £20. Guess it depends how flexible you want to be with it.
here you go

Cheers guys. My hand is twitching by my wallet :D

i have one of these http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-velbon-ultra-maxi-mini-tripod/p1521807 with a small Manfrotto RC ball head on it - useful bit of kit :)

I do like the look of that. If I could find it cheaper I might very well get one (y)

Well worth it :) - the head is ok (easily replaced - standard 1/4" thread), the legs are very good

I got one of these: Cullmann Magnesit Copter. There are 15 user reviews of it at that link but also a photo review of it here. If you already have a ballhead or prefer to use a different one, then you can just buy the legs only for a tenner here.

I looked at the Pixie and the Copter and decided to get the Copter at the time - cannot remember exactly why though - think it maybe had better reviews overall? It's great to have in the bag just in case and even fits in a pocket. I have used it in museums etc where you are not allowed normal tripods - staff saw me using it and did not say anything, so I guess it was okay? You can also use the legs braced against your chest and that allows you to take photos at quite low shutter speeds. eg this one at 1/3 of a second - not razor sharp but acceptable for web use. I have a red pod too (£4 from Currys) but hardly ever use it - prefer the Copter.

Last edited:
I got one of these: Cullmann Magnesit Copter. There are 15 user reviews of it at that link but also a photo review of it here. If you already have a ballhead or prefer to use a different one, then you can just buy the legs only for a tenner here.

I looked at the Pixie and the Copter and decided to get the Copter at the time - cannot remember exactly why though - think it maybe had better reviews overall? It's great to have in the bag just in case and even fits in a pocket. I have used it in museums etc where you are not allowed normal tripods - staff saw me using it and did not say anything, so I guess it was okay? You can also use the legs braced against your chest and that allows you to take photos at quite low shutter speeds. eg this one at 1/3 of a second - not razor sharp but acceptable for web use. I have a red pod too (£4 from Currys) but hardly ever use it - prefer the Copter.

Thanks for taking the time to help. How good is the little head that comes with it?

Anyone own the Manfrotto Pixi? If so is the button and head stiff to use?

Thanks for taking the time to help. How good is the little head that comes with it?

Pretty good for such a wee thing - it holds my dslr camera with a heavy (ish) macro lens (Sigma 70mm f2.8 about 500gs I think) but only in landscape mode. In portrait mode it's usable but wants to tip over - will just hold it though - however only my small camera body (Sony A37) physically fits between the tripod legs in portrait mode.

I mostly use it with lighter (micro four thirds) gear though and it's perfect for that. Of course you can only take photos with the camera a few inches above the floor/ground unless you can find a ledge/rock/wall or whatever to put the tripod on.

You just have to remember that loosening the knob loosens the ballhead and the base (where it attaches to the tripod so you can pan it around a bit). A few times I have thought that the base was not screwed tightly to the head (when camera was not attached) and trying to tighten it made by turning it made no difference - but it was just because the ballhead knob was loose. (I think he mentions this in the video).

Pretty good for such a wee thing - it holds my dslr camera with a heavy (ish) macro lens (Sigma 70mm f2.8 about 500gs I think) but only in landscape mode. In portrait mode it's usable but wants to tip over - will just hold it though - however only my small camera body (Sony A37) physically fits between the tripod legs in portrait mode.

I mostly use it with lighter (micro four thirds) gear though and it's perfect for that. Of course you can only take photos with the camera a few inches above the floor/ground unless you can find a ledge/rock/wall or whatever to put the tripod on.

You just have to remember that loosening the knob loosens the ballhead and the base (where it attaches to the tripod so you can pan it around a bit). A few times I have thought that the base was not screwed tightly to the head (when camera was not attached) and trying to tighten it made by turning it made no difference - but it was just because the ballhead knob was loose. (I think he mentions this in the video).

He does mention that. I'm torn between the Cullmann and the Manfrotto Pixi. I have a Manfrotto full size tripod and 2 ball heads. The quality is top draw. Part of me wants the Manfrotto as The quality I hope would be good, but saying that, on the video you linked he said the button was hard to push in and the ball head stiff.
The Cullmann reviews look better though.

Aggghghhhhhhhhhhhhh lol

A couple of the amazon.com (US) reviews mention that about the Pixie too - http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MTPIXI-B-PIXI-Tripod-Black/product-reviews/B00D76RNLS/ I think that's why I went for the Cullmann in the end. None of the UK amazon reviews mention it though - they are all positive. Maybe it varies? @StuartH has the Pixie so he might comment?

I also have a full size Manfrotto and as you say the quality is excellent. I am happy with my Cullman 'Copter' though in terms of quality (have no other experience of Cullmann tripods) - I got it from amazon.de (Germany) by the way as that was the cheapest at the time. I think the Pixie might be a bit lighter and smaller if that matters?

You can also use the Cullmann as a slider for video apparently - I don't do video though.

Pixie:
Maximum Height 5.3" (13.5 cm)
Minimum Height 5.3" (13.5 cm)
Folded Length 7.3" (18.6 cm)
Load Capacity 2.2 lb (1 kg)
Leg Sections 1
Weight (190.5 g)

From: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tpixi_b_pixi_mini_table_top.html/prm/alsVwDtl

Copter:

Maximum Height Legs spread with head attached: 6.5" (16.5 cm)
Minimum Height Legs spread without head: 3.75" (9.5 cm)
Folded Length With head: 9" (22.9 cm)
Without head: 6.25" (15.9 cm)
Load Capacity 2.5 lb (1.1 kg)
Leg Sections 1
Weight (270g)

From: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/799983-REG/Cullmann_CU_50081_Copter_Mini_Tripod_with.html

Last edited:
I have to say the button that releases the ball head is fine in my opinion but ballhead does seem to have a lot of friction,almost gritty as one review put it..Its not as bad as it sounds but its not the most fluid ball head but it locks down tight!.It was noticed when I got it and thought it would loosen with use but it hasnt but yet it hardly bothers me either tbh..If it could be a deal breaker for you maybe worth trying it out in store if you can

I have to say the button that releases the ball head is fine in my opinion but ballhead does seem to have a lot of friction,almost gritty as one review put it..Its not as bad as it sounds but its not the most fluid ball head but it locks down tight!.It was noticed when I got it and thought it would loosen with use but it hasnt but yet it hardly bothers me either tbh..If it could be a deal breaker for you maybe worth trying it out in store if you can

I'm trying to find a shop that sells them just now.

Bromley in London is now my nearest Jessops. 30 mins away. Bit of a pain to look at a £20 tripod.

Thank you all for you help. It really is appreciated. I'm going to get either the Cullmann or Manfrotto.

I really dont think you would be disappointed with the pixi..

Foba Mini? It will support 60kg... maybe a little overkill? ;>)
More realistic might be the Varavon Baby T1 (supports 10kg) or maybe the Oben TT-50 (similar to the Manfrotto 209 but supports 3kg).
I have a Kirk window mount that also works as a "ground pod."
I also have the Gorillapod Focus with the x-head... supposed to be good to 5kg. Not sure how they figured that. So far, I'm not very fond of the contortion beast.

Out of all of them I would probably get the Varavon if I wanted something small but serious and that would last. But I tend to use one of my tripods with a "boom" type center column instead.

Last edited:
I've had a Novoflex BasicBall for years. Not cheap as you have to add your choice of head but the build quality and versatility plus the fact that it packs flat does it for me.

Foba Mini? It will support 60kg... maybe a little overkill? ;>)
More realistic might be the Varavon Baby T1 (supports 10kg) or maybe the Oben TT-50 (similar to the Manfrotto 209 but supports 3kg).
I have a Kirk window mount that also works as a "ground pod."
I also have the Gorillapod Focus with the x-head... supposed to be good to 5kg. Not sure how they figured that. So far, I'm not very fond of the contortion beast.

Out of all of them I would probably get the Varavon if I wanted something small but serious and that would last. But I tend to use one of my tripods with a "boom" type center column instead.

Just watching videos on the Varavon Baby T1. Must admit it looks great. I can't find a UK seller though.

I've had a Novoflex BasicBall for years. Not cheap as you have to add your choice of head but the build quality and versatility plus the fact that it packs flat does it for me.

Very cool

Ok, I have just bought the Pixi thanks to T4 cameras of Swindon. They guy took one out the packet and tested it for me and it sounds just like the thing I want. It really was a flip of a coin between that and the Cullmann, But on Amazon T4 cameras of swindon are selling the Manfrotto Pixi for £16.59 delivered. There are now 6 left if you want to get one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00D76RNLS/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited:
I was friendly with one of the senior staff at T4 in Swindon and he would always do me a good price but he seems to have moved on.

Bought the Pixi about 2pm yesterday from T4 in Swindon and it came this morning. Not as stiff ballhead and button as I was expecting. Put a Canon 7D and a 85mm lens on it. Turned it sideways and shook (I was sitting down with it over my lap). The thing isn't giving at all. Seems a very well made bit of kit. It will live in my bag no problem.

Thanks again everyone for the help :clap: (y)

:ty:

Nice one..told you it locks in tight lol.

Sure is. I really thought the button was going to be over the top hard to press in, but it's not at all.
Now if I'm doing low level night photography and someone tries to mug me all I have to do is grab the legs and wave a 7D at them. They'll be running screaming lol :naughty:

I had the professional one. One leg broke on it.

Same here, now the leg is weak.

Another thing with the gorilla pod is that is that is a right faff to it set-up straight since all the leg sections can be moved independently of each other. It's also terrible for shots in portrait. Though you can't use portrait with the Pixi or some of the other mini pods.

Going to check out a few of the suggestions in this thread.

Anyone found a UK seller of the Varavon Baby T1?

Last edited:
Another similar one to throw into the mix - Pedco UltraPod II - similar to the 'Copter' and 'Pixi' but also has a Velcro bit to attach it to poles, trees, fences etc which could be useful? Never used one but the reviews seem pretty good. Review here and video below.

Thanks guys pixi is amazing rock solid holds my 500d with battery grip and 24-105 lens without issue. Obviously have to be careful not to let it tip over though.

Thanks guys pixi is amazing rock solid holds my 500d with battery grip and 24-105 lens without issue. Obviously have to be careful not to let it tip over though.

Just make sure one leg is pointing at the front under the lens.

I was friendly with one of the senior staff at T4 in Swindon and he would always do me a good price but he seems to have moved on.

If that was Rich, he moved to the Witney branch - no idea if he's still there though

Back