Small printers for a student?

Edit My Images
Yes
Daughter is in a uni room which is small. However she needs a printer, mainly b/w for documents but some colour - nothing fancy like photos. Space and price are the two important factors - anyone got any recommendations?
Many thanks!

IMO the little printer/scanners all do the job to a decent enough standard (as do the stand alone printers) so base any decision on cost per print after making a shortlist based on size. IIRC, HP printers have the print head built in to the cartridges so blockages are (possibly!) less of a problem than they might be if the printer has a fitted head. FWIW, Mrs Nod had more problems with the Epson she used to have than she's had with her current Canon.

An option might be a cheap mono laser printer (Brother have some good options with cheap toner) and using the university IT facilities when colour is necessary.

IMO the little printer/scanners all do the job to a decent enough standard (as do the stand alone printers) so base any decision on cost per print after making a shortlist based on size. IIRC, HP printers have the print head built in to the cartridges so blockages are (possibly!) less of a problem than they might be if the printer has a fitted head. FWIW, Mrs Nod had more problems with the Epson she used to have than she's had with her current Canon.

An option might be a cheap mono laser printer (Brother have some good options with cheap toner) and using the university IT facilities when colour is necessary.

Thanks for the replies - what I am really after is something SMALL, printing costs are not such an issue, and like Nod, I too seem to have had more luck with Canon than Epson. I had kind of hoped that there might be some sort of list of printers where size is the main factor, or some knowledge of actual current models that are small..
Do Brother make small lasers ?

Do the uni sell print credits to students to use their printers, likely to be far cheaper per print than an inkjet.

The smallest brother mono lasers are around 36x36x20cm and are pretty reliable. We used to use them in our warehouse for around 2 years until they filled with dust, then junk and replace...

Most printers aimed at the domestic market are like disposable razors where the printers are relatively cheap but cost an arm & a leg to run. Many Inkjet printers consume ink every time they are turned on & infrequent use can mean you waste more ink during the power on cycles & head cleaning than in printing. I would advocate a cheap mono laser or MFD ........ Epson, Brother. If colour is a must then HP have a scheme called Instant Ink which you can buy into at various levels (pages of print per month) to provide a regular supply of ink for a fixed cost per month.

Thanks again for the replies.
Uni does have printers but I am told that it costs a lot to get things done, and as Christmas is approaching a printer and some spare ink is within the reach of a grandparent...
I'll look at some laser printers in the morning - again, thanks for the suggestions !

I've actually just bought a Brother HL-1110 which Tesco have on offer for £46 -

https://www.tesco.com/direct/brothe...00-resolution-usb/412-9771.prd?skuId=412-9771

Most other sellers are asking at least a fiver more...

I actually think I had one of these a few years ago, might have been a ricoh rebrand.
it was good until I needed a toner and fair play that was going to be £40 so I just bought another printer but it chucked out a few 1000 prints no issue.

I actually think I had one of these a few years ago, might have been a ricoh rebrand.
it was good until I needed a toner and fair play that was going to be £40 so I just bought another printer but it chucked out a few 1000 prints no issue.
Which I guess will translate into 3 years of uni life until it gets binned - not bad for under £50 !

Ah yes, three years and in the bin - let's save the planet!

I would assume it will be recycled and anyway 3 years worth of prints from a small machine that is pretty good.

Blame the printer manufacturers who ship printers with part filled cartridges providing limited capacity, if they all shipped 'full' cartridges & provided reasonable price replacements it would stop people throwing away printers before their end of life. Toner & ink is cheap to manufacture but the printer manufacturers sell the printers cheap & make fat profits on consumables. The printer manufacturers even encourage people to swap by offering cash back & trade in deals.

I used to manage a school network with networked colour laser MFPs, the toner cost per A4 page mono was less than 0.1p and colour was maybe 1p. .

I do installs for UNI students and for disadvantaged kids, they seem to supply Canon all in one devices.

Today I've done two Canon MG6851 all in ones. They are a great printer / scanner and recommended by the UNI supply companies. It's worth looking into with Wyvale, Iansyst or any of the other Uni suppliers. They get cheap paper and inks and pay virtually nothing for the printer too.

For moderate use, lasers are definitely the printer of choice.
I bought an HP Laserjet 4L in 1992; the drum finally wore out, but it still had it's original toner cartridge.
Replaced it with an Oki B4300 in 2006, and that's still going strong on it's original toner.

I am a big fan of HP. I worked a 2 year contract for them and even though not perm I had access to there discount scheme.
fantastic stuff. Still got the M126nw and it has never even messed up one single print.

Back