Small tablet with horizontal charging dock wanted....

Edit My Images
Yes
I want to buy a small (7" ish) tablet to use purely as a remote control for my Sonos system.
When not in use I want to keep it in a charging dock that ideally holds it horizontally, so the usb socket needs to be in the right place, ie fairly central on the long edge. I also want to just be able to place the tablet into the dock, and not have to fiddle with a cable every time.
It would be ideal if the screen can stay on when in use, but switch off when charging - rather like the my old Sonos remote does, but given the wisdom of the clever folks at Sonos it is being phased out...

Any suggestions - I've had a look, but so many that actually show where the USB socket is seem to have it on the short, ie portrait side.
Thanks for any wisdom and advice from the wise folks at TP...

I've thought about exactly this. In the end, I bought a mini Alexa - works really well as a controller for Sonos. If you have the 5 it plugs in the back - if you have a 3 you need to say "Alexa: play cheezy 80s on Kitchen".

I've thought about exactly this. In the end, I bought a mini Alexa - works really well as a controller for Sonos. If you have the 5 it plugs in the back - if you have a 3 you need to say "Alexa: play cheezy 80s on Kitchen".
Thanks Jonathan, but I'm not sure that'll be a solution for me - I do have a couple of sonos speakers for the kitchen and gym but my main stereo is a bit different and I want a tablet to scroll through my music and make playlists etc - I also really don't want to talk to my stereo (I'm old and set in my ways..)
I bought into the Sonos system way back as I liked the feel of the remote and almost resent that it's being phased out so a physical device is what I want, and my mobile is too small and fiddly..

Thanks Jonathan, but I'm not sure that'll be a solution for me - I do have a couple of sonos speakers for the kitchen and gym but my main stereo is a bit different and I want a tablet to scroll through my music and make playlists etc - I also really don't want to talk to my stereo (I'm old and set in my ways..)
I bought into the Sonos system way back as I liked the feel of the remote and almost resent that it's being phased out so a physical device is what I want, and my mobile is too small and fiddly..

Makes sense. I'm pretty sure the Galaxy Tab 3 has the socket on the long side - but that may just be the 10 inch. You can get some very nice wall mounts for them that lock them in a case with power fed to them and have a Vesa mount on the back. But these cost way more than the tablet..... :)

https://www.av4home.co.uk/collectio...alaxy-tab-3-10-1-secure-wall-bracket-pts-1211

You could use the Amazon Fire 8" with the show mode dock? It'll depend on if you can get the app for the Sonos from the Amazon app store, but it's fairly easy to either load the Google Play Store or push an APK (Android app install file) to it and install from that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-new-Di...rds=fire+dock&qid=1562916786&s=gateway&sr=8-8
My wife has a kindle fire 8, so I guess I should try that. Do you know anything about the 'show mode' - I had a quick look and got rather lost in all the guff, but guess it can all be switched off..?
We both work away from home and at times we don't see much if anything of each other from week to week, but we are both home next week so I'll download the app for her. Such a kind and loving husband....

Last edited:
My wife has a kindle fire 8, so I guess I should try that. Do you know anything about the 'show mode' - I had a quick look and got rather lost in all the guff, but guess it can all be switched off..?
We both work away from home and at times we don't see much if anything of each other from week to week, but we are both home next week so I'll download the app for her. Such a kind and loving husband....

It depends on what you want to use it for as your initial post only stated for charging purposes which doesn't necessarily require show mode. Looking online it will basically give visual results for questions, etc that you ask Alexa and also allow you to watch Prime videos on it. Is there anything else you'd like it to do?

Also it'll need double checking that you can turn off the screen but I'd expect you can otherwise if its in the bedroom it'd be like having a light permanently on.

Back