Smaller flash?

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
I've currently got just the one flash - a Canon EX430II

It works well and has massively improved my party shots even on camera. However, I recently came back from a trip away and two things struck me. My 28-70 2.8 Tamron lens, coupled to my camera (80D) and then the flash makes for a heavy, unwieldy package when going to restaurants.

I've solved half the problem by getting hold of a 24mm 2.8 pancake lens, but wondered if there's a smaller, decent solution to making the flash less cumbersome.

I've seen the 270EX II, but is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I had the 270EX when I used Canon and it was OK, I guess you need to consider the compromise of less power with a smaller flash, as well as smaller light source which I'd assume gives a harsher light, though probably not very noticeable as the 430 isn't large in that respect.

I have a Nisin i40 which I sometimes use on my Fuji XT-3 and it works well, and is small compared to my V860II.

The Godox TT350 has both tilt and swivel (the ex270 just tilt), but I have to say, I find it underpowered, and I’d rather the extra weight for the faster recycling if I’m honest.

I've not tried the new, smaller lens with the on camera flash, but presumably a 270EXII would be better than that?
Better than what?

The on-camera flash.
Sorry, yes, it will be better than that, but probably not appreciably. I think the TT350 Phil suggested is worth a look for sure, I don't buy main manufacturer flashes any more as the Godox etc. are now great.

I've got a Godox TT350 for my Fuji x-T2 it's massively smaller than full size flashes and works really well. Don't use it a lot, but when i do i'm consistently happy with the results.

Back