Smart phone security

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just got me a Sony Ericsson P1i which has an opera web browser and was wondering. Are phones susceptible to viruses like computers are and if so how do you go about protecting them?

Kev

All depends on the operating system of the phone - 99.5% of virus are made for the most popular - yep you've guessed it windows.

Ask a mac/unix/linux user what anti virus they use and you'll probably get the response "what?" :LOL: well ok they do have av but its not as rife as on the windows platform.

There will be some viruses that could infect your phone but I doubt you'd come across any if you are carefull what sites you visit and exe file you run.

I've got windows on my smart phone and not had any infections (yet, touch wood - asking for trouble now hey?) and I've installed some dodgy looking apps.

I'm sure that the os provider would have some sort of failsafe application that you could install/repair with.

There are viruses for Symbian... and anti-virus packages too! Mind you, with a pathetic 64mb of RAM by E50 probably wouldnt run the virus anyway LOL

How are you getting on with this phone as I'm thinking of upgrading to either that (p1i) or the trion

Back