smart tv

Edit My Images
No
Not sure if this is the correct place for my question but Is it possible to edit photos through a smart tv? Will the colour calibration be correct or can the tv be calibrated for sending to the printer.

Last edited:
It totally depends on what make and model of t.v. it is. If you could let me know i could give you some more info, but generally speaking, a "smart t.v" is just a television that includes an internet browser. The are not like a computer, laptop or tablet.

Highly unlikely a TV will be anywhere near calibrated to acceptable standards, and unless you've switched it all off, will probably have stuff like dynamic contrast, and lots of other auto adjustments going on to make the image more "pleasing".

You can calibrated a TV... but if you're going that far, you may as well just buy a decent monitor.

Also.. 1920x1080 is fine on small monitors, but on a large TV the resolution is very low if you're sat close to it doing fine detailed image editing. TVs are designed to be viewed from a distance... especially large ones.

The smart tv is a samsung ue40eh5300 I take the point regarding a tv is just a tv I was just thinking these tv may have let you transfer a colour profile from your laprop to the tv, ive also looked in the computer section on Amazon at monitors a samsung s24b300hl would these types be the way to go, I just want to transfer my laptop picture to a larger screen, thanks for the help

I edit on a 17.3" workstation class laptop and copy finished photos to my media PC for display on a 40" Sony TV. The laptop has a high quality IPS, RGB backlit, 10 bit, full Adobe RGB gamut panel and is set to display sRGB. I have not calibrated it as it has a reputation for good accuracy out of the box.

The TV has been calibrated by manual adjustment of the TV controls for the HDMI input, using assorted reference images and then tweaked further to match the laptop. I did try Spyder calibration on the TV, but did not like the result - too magenta. The manual method was much better.

Pictures look good on either one. However, given that I have a better tool than the TV for editing, and my laptop is more powerful than my PC, I stick with the laptop for editing. Also, while both are 1920x1080 displays, the close proximity of the laptop display means that even at only 17.3" it occupies a larger field of vision than the 40" TV sat 8' away. In fact it is near enough twice the apparent size just now.

I am writing this on my PC connected to my Samsung 40" LED HD TV on 1920x1080 widescreen.

And it ROCKS - so much easier on my eyes than sitting close to a relatively small 21" CRT monitor which is what I used before.

I also edit all my pics on here (Set at 1024X768 and 4x3 screen) now having set it up using a calibration image from DSCL Labs.

And they look fine to me, in fact the larger screen shows up defects much easier than before when I was using the CRT monitor.

EDIT: And the finished pictures look GREAT when viewed at the largest size, especially on the Opera browser where F11 on the PC removes all the taskbars leaving just the complete picture.

Last edited:
Anything is possible but it depends on how happy you are with the finished article.As mentioned you can get your Tv calibrated, you either do it yourself or get it done professionally which will cost you in excess of £300 you can access settings that are locked within your Tv, but make a wrong move and you will have a nightmare putting it right again.

Anything is possible but it depends on how happy you are with the finished article.As mentioned you can get your Tv calibrated, you either do it yourself or get it done professionally which will cost you in excess of £300 you can access settings that are locked within your Tv, but make a wrong move and you will have a nightmare putting it right again.

Not really - just go to Factory defaults and reset.

Then simply start again - simples!

Not really - just go to Factory defaults and reset.

Then simply start again - simples!

The majority of service menu`s on Tv`s which is what you would need to access to calibrate it properly do not incorporate a reset function, and as mentioned in my reply you make a wrong move and you Can screw up your set big time. Not so simples is it? ;)

Back