D

Davidjb82

Hi

I'm new here so first things first, hello forum!

I would like to ask if anyone knows a comparable digital camera to the Galaxy S7 Edge smartphone.
I recently got the phone, and discovered that it takes exceptional photographs, especially with the introduction of 'Pro Mode' allowing more freedom to tweak the settings.

I would like to test it against a standalone digital camera, but don't know enough about them to find a similar spec'ed device.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Wel seeing as the Galaxy Edge 7 is the latest, top of the range phone from Samsung. I would guess the comparable camera would be the latest, top of the range Samsung.

Otherwise, you're just trying to find a camera which gives results as poor as your phone so you can then say "My phone camera is just as good as my compact!".

Actually, no.
The S7 Edge has been compared with the Canon 70D, which on paper is far superior, but the tests show that the Galaxy more than holds it own against the DSLR, at least in video format.

My question was a comparable digital camera with (roughly) the same specifications. The Samsung standalone cameras don't compare.

A smartphone sensor is tiny they won't compare to any DSLR

Actually, no.
The S7 Edge has been compared with the Canon 70D, which on paper is far superior, but the tests show that the Galaxy more than holds it own against the DSLR, at least in video format.

My question was a comparable digital camera with (roughly) the same specifications. The Samsung standalone cameras don't compare.
Link?

Will take me all of 30 seconds to identify how the reviewer has slanted the scores in favour of the S7 (which I own and is great, for a phone.....)

Actually, no.

Welcome to TP, we really are the friendliest bunch.
However it really is difficult to respond to this honestly without completely alienating you from the forum.

Just look at Flickr and do a search for all 70d images, then see how many of them could have been taken on a camera phone.

The answer will be about 2% max, and it'll be this scenario; good light med wide angle lens stopped down to 5.6 or smaller.

You'd get that with an understanding of 'photography'. Camera to subject distance creates the relationship between objects in an image, we take advantage of this by using lenses of different focal lengths. So a fixed FL lens isn't much use in creating many shots we want.

Then there's sensor size, the tiny sensor gives 2 inherent problems, massive depth of field and lots of noise in dark conditions.

I could go on all night, but I hope that's helped you understand the basics. I'm happy to put up half a dozen images shot with a 40d (lots older and inferior to the 70d) that you simply couldn't get close to with a Samsung Galaxy.

Last edited:
I need 3 posts in order to send a link, but here's a cut and paste of one of the sites, with videos.

http://
wccftech.com/
galaxy-s7-vs-canon-70d/

The phone obviously can't compete in every area, I know that, but all I want is a comparable standalone camera so I can compare. It's only for my own curiosity.
I own a Sigma for all my proper photographic needs!

I need 3 posts in order to send a link, but here's a cut and paste of one of the sites, with videos.

http://
wccftech.com/
galaxy-s7-vs-canon-70d/

The phone obviously can't compete in every area, I know that, but all I want is a comparable standalone camera so I can compare. It's only for my own curiosity.
I own a Sigma for all my proper photographic needs!
There isn't a comparable standalone camera.

The closest would be a Fuji x100, as its a fixed focal length lens of a similar angle of view. But even the first version will seriously blow the phone away in terms of IQ and in every other way. It has no internet access though and doesn't make phone calls or burst into flames.

Welcome to TP, we really are the friendliest bunch.
However it really is difficult to respond to this honestly without completely alienating you from the forum.

Just look at Flickr and do a search for all 70d images, then see how many of them could have been taken on a camera phone.

The answer will be about 2% max, and it'll be this scenario; good light med wide angle lens stopped down to 5.6 or smaller.

You'd get that with an understanding of 'photography'. Camera to subject distance creates the relationship between objects in an image, we take advantage of this by using lenses of different focal lengths. So a fixed FL lens isn't much use in creating many shots we want.

Then there's sensor size, the tiny sensor gives 2 inherent problems, massive depth of field and lots of noise in dark conditions.

I could go on all night, but I hope that's helped you understand the basics. I'm happy to put up half a dozen images shot with a 40d (lots older and inferior to the 70d) that you simply couldn't get close to with a Samsung Galaxy.

Hi. I am very aware of everything you've said, and totally agree.
I feel that this discussion has skewed slightly from my original question, which obviously isn't as simple as I thought it would be!

All i wanted to know was if anyone knew of a camera with the same spec as the phone, be it a really old model or whatever.
Just wanted to experiment with them both.

Compare it with the Sigma that would be good enough to prove the camera on the Note 7 is not better just more convenient than lugging a DSLR or really any other digital camera :) A comparable camera can be selected only if you actually start comparing and identify a particular model that you think is on par with the Note 7 :) and it all depends on the criteria you are using

Hi. I am very aware of everything you've said, and totally agree.
I feel that this discussion has skewed slightly from my original question, which obviously isn't as simple as I thought it would be!

All i wanted to know was if anyone knew of a camera with the same spec as the phone, be it a really old model or whatever.
Just wanted to experiment with them both.
You'll not get the 'same spec', due to sensor size, but try an x100 as a close ish comparison due to its fixed lens.

That site linked is just a comparison of AF in video which a DSLR isn't generally great at whereas the mirrorless phone will be slightly better on-sensor. Also, they're using an f3.5 aperture on the Canon versus the f1.7 (equivalent) on the phone. A proper test would be against a mirrorless body like a Sony A6000 with a 1.8 aperture lens.

If you want to test video AF performance, use a camcorder.

You'll not get the 'same spec', due to sensor size, but try an x100 as a close ish comparison due to its fixed lens.

Thank you.

I know it won't be the exact same spec, but at least I now have an answer, and without sarcasm too! Bonus!

The camera will obviously outdo the phone, I'm 100% aware. I'm merely experimenting.

The Pentax gr is pocketable with a fixed lens at similar focal length.

Thank you.

I know it won't be the exact same spec, but at least I now have an answer, and without sarcasm too! Bonus!

The camera will obviously outdo the phone, I'm 100% aware. I'm merely experimenting.
These things generally start to get silly when the camera phone expert starts with responses like 'obviously not as macho as all that huge DSLR gear', 'justifying spending thousands on massive lenses' etc.

The 'success' of your experiment will clearly hang on what it is you're testing. There are plenty of things the phone will shoot brilliantly, the old adage about a decent photographer can make a great photo with any gear is a universal truth. But some situations require specific qualities and I could make an experiment instantly that'd render the phone useless.

I guess one way to compare would be to look at compacts with a 1/2.3" sensor which I think is what smartphones usually have. Try the Dpreview database here:
https://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras#!
Dpreview reviews both dslrs and smartphones as cameras (latter on the linked "Connect" site. It's fair to say that FAR more development has happened in smartphone cameras than in similar compacts recently so it's likely that, other things being equal, the smartphone will be better.
However, the comment on the site you linked is fairly accurate - "I can only say LOL omar better cut your hands then write this ........." ;-)

These things generally start to get silly when the camera phone expert starts with responses like 'obviously not as macho as all that huge DSLR gear', 'justifying spending thousands on massive lenses' etc.

The 'success' of your experiment will clearly hang on what it is you're testing. There are plenty of things the phone will shoot brilliantly, the old adage about a decent photographer can make a great photo with any gear is a universal truth. But some situations require specific qualities and I could make an experiment instantly that'd render the phone useless.

I've done a lot of macro photography in my time, as well as some modelling and a fair amount of architecture.

I'm choosing macro as my basis to start, as the phone won't have a chance with the others.
I've already taken some very basic shots with the phone, and as RAW files checked with photoshop they haven't turned out bad at all.
Not a patch on a true SLR, but for comparisons sake I want to test both the best camera phone on the market and a standard comparable camera. I'll up my experiments in due course, even if it ends as as fruitless endeavour.

Smart phone cameras have come on a long way. The quality is awesome considering the sensor size etc

Actually, no.

It's not going to compare to any half decent compact camera let alone anything else.

Unfortunately, as with all phones it has a tiny sensor and a tiny lens, enhanced and cleaned by some very clever software.

Compare it to say a Sony RX100, no contest.

What is the aim of the comparison anyway?

Last edited:
Any current compact with a 1/2.3" sensor should be a starting point with comparison. The S7 has a 1/2.5" sensor so similar.

I'd love to know what you're trying to achieve? I wouldn't expect much difference in IQ if viewed on the phone or even the average monitor. Blown up I'd expect the compact camera to edge it, but not by much.

Claims that a smart phone can compare with a DSLR are nonesense (They won't even compare to a compact with a 1/1.7" sensor let alone those with 1" type.) OK, if light is perfect and we're talking large DOF shots and viewed on a phone, small monitor or 6x4 print there might not be huge differences, especially to the untrained eye, but for everything else the difference is often huge.

Last edited:
I'm not necessarily trying to achieve anything really, just to satisfy my own curiosity.
I haven't taken any 'real' photographs for a very long time but after getting this phone and experimenting with it, I just wanted to see the difference for myself. If I knew how to upload photos here, I'd show you guys a couple I've taken and you can decide for yourselves if it's worth going further to see exactly what it's capable of.

I've done a lot of macro photography in my time, as well as some modelling and a fair amount of architecture.

I'm choosing macro as my basis to start, as the phone won't have a chance with the others.
I've already taken some very basic shots with the phone, and as RAW files checked with photoshop they haven't turned out bad at all.
Not a patch on a true SLR, but for comparisons sake I want to test both the best camera phone on the market and a standard comparable camera. I'll up my experiments in due course, even if it ends as as fruitless endeavour.

why?

Why not?

It's literally just something for me to do and focus on, and while doing it will get me back into photography.
(No, not with the phone before anyone asks)!

Didn't realise it had 'upload file' at the bottom! :facepalm:

I've attached one photo, I hope. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 20160717_164327.jpg
    20160717_164327.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 56
Didn't realise it had 'upload file' at the bottom! :facepalm:

I've attached one photo, I hope. Let me know what you think.

I can't tell anything from that teeny tiny photo.

I'm not necessarily trying to achieve anything really, just to satisfy my own curiosity.
I haven't taken any 'real' photographs for a very long time but after getting this phone and experimenting with it, I just wanted to see the difference for myself. If I knew how to upload photos here, I'd show you guys a couple I've taken and you can decide for yourselves if it's worth going further to see exactly what it's capable of.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that this is a serious thread and not a pointless wind up from someone with nothing better to do. My GF shoots a lot with two phones, an ipone and... something else (I'm not remotely interested so I don't know what it is :D) and although some of the phone shots look sort of ok when viewed on a screen as long as they were taken in phone camera friendly conditions when looked at closely they don't compare to any half decent camera shots.

What I suggest you do is visit Amazon and see what the best selling cameras are and then Google your way to some camera review sites and download some example shots taken with a few of those well selling cameras and compare them to your ipone shots and then come back and report your findings. I'll await your report with baited breath. Or you could just accept that photo's produced with the use of teeny tiny sensor and a teeny tiny lens are never going to compare to shots taken with the use of a much larger sensor and a much larger lens unless you just glance at them on your screen.

I can't tell anything from that teeny tiny photo.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that this is a serious thread and not a pointless wind up from someone with nothing better to do. My GF shoots a lot with two phones, an ipone and... something else (I'm not remotely interested so I don't know what it is :D) and although some of the phone shots look sort of ok when viewed on a screen as long as they were taken in phone camera friendly conditions when looked at closely they don't compare to any half decent camera shots.

What I suggest you do is visit Amazon and see what the best selling cameras are and then Google your way to some camera review sites and download some example shots taken with a few of those well selling cameras and compare them to your ipone shots and then come back and report your findings. I'll await your report with baited breath. Or you could just accept that photo's produced with the use of teeny tiny sensor and a teeny tiny lens are never going to compare to shots taken with the use of a much larger sensor and a much larger lens unless you just glance at them on your screen.

If there's a better way to upload a photo, please, do tell.

OK...

1: It's not an iPhone. I believe I mentioned the manufacturer in my first post, and a couple more.

2: I don't want to compare the photos to the best selling cameras, again I 'believe' I mentioned what I wanted to do above.

3: I do not want to look at other people's photographs and compare them. That defeats the object of wanting to take my own photos. Again, mentioned above.

4: Is Sarcasm just a thing you guys do, because it really doesn't help anyone.

5: Does anyone actually read the thread, or understand what a question is?

There has been a couple of good answers, and I thank you for the camera suggestions. You know who you are!

Think I'll leave you all to your own world now, as it seems even the simplest question gets turned into, well, whatever this thread has turned into!

If there's a better way to upload a photo, please, do tell.

OK...

1: It's not an iPhone. I believe I mentioned the manufacturer in my first post, and a couple more.

2: I don't want to compare the photos to the best selling cameras, again I 'believe' I mentioned what I wanted to do above.

3: I do not want to look at other people's photographs and compare them. That defeats the object of wanting to take my own photos. Again, mentioned above.

4: Is Sarcasm just a thing you guys do, because it really doesn't help anyone.

5: Does anyone actually read the thread, or understand what a question is?

There has been a couple of good answers, and I thank you for the camera suggestions. You know who you are!

Think I'll leave you all to your own world now, as it seems even the simplest question gets turned into, well, whatever this thread has turned into!

Re uploading photos, read the script provided.

1. I don't really care what sort of phone it is, as I said I'm not interested in them.
2. Look at the spec and choose what camera you want to compare. Simples.
3. The review site provide photos to download. How are you going to compare if you have nothing to compare?
4. I'm not sarcastic, I gave suggestions for a way forward but it's just difficult to take you seriously so after I've wasted yet more time typing this second reply I'm out of here...
5. I read it but... oh what's use... Select Ignore, Goodbye and have a nice life :D

Last edited:
Re uploading photos, read the script provided.

1. I don't really care what sort of phone it is, as I said I'm not interested in them.
2. Look at the spec and choose what camera you want to compare. Simples.
3. The review site provide photos to download. How are you going to compare if you have nothing to compare?
4. I'm not sarcastic, I gave suggestions for a way forward but it's just difficult to take you seriously so after I've wasted yet more time typing this second reply I'm out of here...
5. I read it but... oh what's use... Select Ignore, Goodbye and have a nice life :D

If you don't care, why even respond?

The whole point of asking the initial question was to see if someone had any suggestions. You know, because some people like to be helpful.

How can I compare photos that aren't the same? I want to take photos with the phone and a camera, and then compare. That's what compare means. Simples.

You wasn't being sarcastic? I guess you probably didn't mean to be then... English can be difficult to grasp when some people are typing I suppose.

You read it, but chose to ignore pretty much everything to make up your own, non existent question? I guess I can't argue with that. That damned English language again eh!

Oh don't worry, I shall ignore from now on!

It's difficult to provide a comparable camera for a few reasons, mainly due to the specification.

You'll look on a cameras spec and you'll tend to find a few things.
Megapixels
Aperture range
Focal length
Sensor size
Weight
Dimensions
Price?

Only you know which specifications you would like to compare, so really, only you are able to find a phone to compare.

It really does sound like you're out for the phone to win though, otherwise you could just pick up any camera you can lay your hands on and use that.

With regards to the sarcastic comments, it is impossible to read tone in text form so don't thing that everyone is out to get you. Although, a photography forum is clearly going to be biased towards the camera so you must have expected a certain amount of backlash to your question.

Last edited:
I would be interested to see how the Galaxy K Zoom and Lumia 950 xl compare. The biggest strength of the smartphones will be the sheer processing power and of course connectivity.

with (roughly) the same specifications. The Samsung standalone cameras don't compare.
You don't say what the specifications are that you want to match. You don't say why the standalone Samsung cameras don't compare. People are struggling to understand what you want/want to do. maybe you need to outline your testing procedure.

The photo doesn't look anything special to me, lacking great detail and quite flat, but that's to be expected with a small sensor and flat light. Would I expect a consumer compact to be better? Probably not.

FYI I wouldn't class that as Macro though, more just a close up (y)

If you are into macro photography, try getting your hands on a old Ricoh GX100/200. I have a Nokia 1020 which can produce some very nice images but I would put the image quality of the Ricoh against it any day. You could pick one up for about £50. Similarish specs.

If you are into macro photography, try getting your hands on a old Ricoh GX100/200. I have a Nokia 1020 which can produce some very nice images but I would put the image quality of the Ricoh against it any day. You could pick one up for about £50. Similarish specs.
The original Ricoh GRD (which I have) is also excellent for casual close-ups (insects, flowers etc) and miles better than any smartphone so far made.

I'm not sure if this might be useful, from last year. A new (at the time) smartphone vs a three year old compact. Shots taken in the same area same day within minutes (but not the same landscape as I wasn't doing a comparison, the phone shot was only for Facebook). No mucking around, just taken straight from my Flickr. I don't even know what the phone shot was doing on there TBH! The phone shot looks fine on the phone, on anything bigger, just pants. This comparison is best viewed on a proper desktop rather than a phone obviously.

Phone (iPhone 5s) -
Travelling 2015 iPhone images.-43 by Jim, on Flickr

Compact (Sony RX100 mk1) -
73 by Jim, on Flickr

Last edited:
Camera phones are excellent; the one on my iPhone is very good, and certainly acceptable. BUT it in no way is as good as a DSLR or even certain bride cameras. Again, sensor size and lens size all contribute. And old Canon 350D will knock the socks off any phone. Its a phone, with a pretty good camera. Thats it. Not a replacement... just a bonus to use if you have nothing else on you. When I go out, I don't just take my phone to photograph. I take my DSLR or Bridge camera.

Camera phones are excellent; the one on my iPhone is very good, and certainly acceptable. BUT it in no way is as good as a DSLR or even certain bride cameras. Again, sensor size and lens size all contribute. And old Canon 350D will knock the socks off any phone. Its a phone, with a pretty good camera. Thats it. Not a replacement... just a bonus to use if you have nothing else on you. When I go out, I don't just take my phone to photograph. I take my DSLR or Bridge camera.

My current iPhone 6s camera is crap compared to even compacts, My 2012 RX100 (OK, a very good compact) knocks the pants off it, but that's not surprising.

The other thing about phones is, they're phones. They will always be shaped like a phone. The ergonomics, handing etc is terrible, even if they could meet FF DSLR quality I wouldn't want to use one, it's just a plain flat souless poor handling slab of plastic and glass.

It also interrupts you mid composition with PPI calls and spam emails!

Last edited:
It's fair to say phone cameras have got better, a few years back I compared my then phone (galaxy s 2) with a half decent compact, which was best....? Well to be honest at one point even I couldn't tell which was which just looking at them on a monitor, I honestly confused the two, both were the same shot in the same good light.
Would my new note beat or match say a 70D, no, but I suspect two identical photos of the "right" subject and printed about 8x6 could confuse you and make you unsure.
I don't see the point really of the OP's post, he's got the phone so why bother looking for a camera to compare it with, I know I compared mine, but I already had the camera anyway.

Back