Smashed 50mm 1.4 Art

• Thread starter Deleted member 66768
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 66768

Hi guys

Didn't get round to upgrading my insurance as I have been shuffling gear about quite abit recently and I stupidly dropped my 50mm and completely shattered the front element

I have insurance via photoguard but didn't update the details so reluctant to go to them now

Not quite sure what to do

Does anyone know if it's an expensive repair?

Cheers

Hi guys

Didn't get round to upgrading my insurance as I have been shuffling gear about quite abit recently and I stupidly dropped my 50mm and completely shattered the front element

I have insurance via photoguard but didn't update the details so reluctant to go to them now

Not quite sure what to do

Does anyone know if it's an expensive repair?

Cheers

Consider changing your username? :(

House insurance?

Would try house insurance but depends on excess. I smashed the front element of a 17-40L many years ago now when I slipped on the rocks at Bamburgh, I think that cost around £150 back then.

I've decided to pay the £270 repair cost of my D750 couple of weeks ago as I didn't want a hike on the insurance premium so depends whether you feel it's worth claiming.

PS. I'm not accident prone, honest!

It may not be a huge deal to replace a front element - it being an easily-accessible component not needing much disassembly? Check it out.

My insurers only specify itemised equipment over £1000 (it may be more). Yours might be the same so you may still be able to claim.

Cheers everyone. Will get it sorted this week all being well. Can't make out if any other bits are broken inside.

I have a very small scratch on my Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma quoted in the region of £200 to replace it.

Presumably it would be the same price for your 50mm, maybe even cheaper considering the difference in size.

that relies on presumtion that there is no internal damage or misalignment. It would at least require thorough recalibration so price would be higher.

My worst nightmare with all my lenses! Out of curiosity was there a lens hood on it or UV filter? Would this have helped? You often see people going on about a uv filter but the whole image v protection argument comes up! hope you can get it sorted and not too expensively. If you have photoguard, surely its worth a call?

Back