smears on Marumi CPL (D)

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
noticed this when cleaning
it looks like iridescent oil - but wont clear off with liquid cleaner
all around the edge (underneath the rim..?)
any ideas or the bin..?
tn_DSC_0358.JPG

this was on the D90 yesterday when I thought the pic of the Lotus was OOF ....connected..?

thanks

Take more test shots with and without the filter.

If it is the filter causing the OOF shots save it for a lens with a smaller filter thread and get a stepdown ring.

I hate throwing stuff away.

Take more test shots with and without the filter.....OK

If it is the filter causing the OOF shots save it for a lens with a smaller filter thread and get a stepdown ring.......Nothing smaller I'm afraid
I'm thinking maybe old cleaning fluid under rim/filter edge.............

I've order some new fluid wipes and a micro-cloth - if no good, I'll prob offer it as a freebie (and it's a Marumi DHG CPL..!

thanks...!

Thats multicoating failure. What your seeing is the top or top few coatings failing. It's probably from skin acid or sweat from your fingers when fitting and removing the filter. Try as hard as you might it won't come off.

As an aside I don't think that would affect your photographs even at f2.8. You wouldn't be shooting through the very edge of the filter. Looking again that does actually look more like some kind of delamination. I'm just wondering if that's made of two layers of glass with some kind go jell in between, and they have begun to separate.

I purchased one of those pieces of s*** a few years ago. They advertised the coating was none marking, when in fact it was worse than any other filter I owned.

I purchased one of those pieces of s*** a few years ago. They advertised the coating was none marking, when in fact it was worse than any other filter I owned.

I've decided it will always be a source of irritation - so I've ordered a new HOYA Pro1 Digital Circular Polarizer..................:)

As an aside I don't think that would affect your photographs even at f2.8. You wouldn't be shooting through the very edge of the filter. Looking again that does actually look more like some kind of delamination. I'm just wondering if that's made of two layers of glass with some kind go jell in between, and they have begun to separate.

Never seen that before so only a guess, but I would also say delamination, ie a manufacturing fault. Polarisers are a sandwich of a polarising layer between two pieces of glass.

Around the edges like that, it'll be well outside the imaging area so no effect on photos. But it would annoy me too and if it is delamination then there is perhaps the possibility that it could spread if the glass was stressed in any way.

Back