Smiley Dragon is happy, and another portrait

Edit My Images
No
IMG5616.jpg

Damn the bright sunlight. I would have tried to have shaded this little one a touch but they were rather skittish and were not staying put for long. As you can see the sunlight was to the left of the dragon.

IMG5596.jpg

Last edited:
Two crackers but that first one is brilliant - made me laugh

hehe cheers Rob, indeed. I wonder if we were to take a photo of a dragon with one of those cameras that has smile recognition, would it auto-take the shot :D

LOL, well I'm glad it does have a mouth otherwise there'd be none to photograph :D. Does look special though. haha.

Cheers :D

:D Cheers :)

Thanks Gary

These are brilliant as are your others can i ask if you use anything other than your sigma 105 how do you get so closeup

Thanks Blackwolf.

Yes, for most shots I'm coupling the 105 with an extension tube. Sometimes a 12mm, sometimes the 20mm. On occasion I'll add more than one, maybe all 3. For these shots, I had a single 20mm on.

As for getting really close up, firstly, the dragonfly's head isn't as small as you might think so at 1:1, it can be filling the frame nicely. As I'm using the 20mm tube, it permits me to pull back a bit on the extra magnification having the ring on gives me, kinda back to where 1:1 is roughly but so I can shoot a little further away. Gives me more DoF, more chance of a sharper result.

Then, with subtle cropping using the resample option and decent sharpening and noise reduction, I can get the results above. It's just a shame the sunlight was so bright coming from my right.

Back