Snail: Looking for a new home

C

CinnamonDonkey

Hi guys,

I've been following threads here for a little while and I must say the quality of pictures being shown is awsome.

I've recently (6 months ago) got my first DSLR, a Canon 350D with standard kit lens. In fact this is the first time I've had a 'proper camera' :)

I've been messing around a bit, experimenting... trying to figure out how the thing works. :thinking:

I'm not up to the standard of you guys, but I figure I'd give it a pop and show you a pic :).

I'd actually been carrying this dude around in my pocket for a week after picking up what I thought was a handful of empty snail shells from the carpark. I went to take a few pic's and the little tinker popped out and tried to escape!

1216860169_26868c4b37.jpg

I think it's a bit over exposed looking at the white speckles on the snails body.

What you recon?

I like it a lot, I suspect the freckles are just noise from having to do a fairly large crop?

Welcome to the forums by the way :)

Oh, and sorry to be a kill joy but the max size for images is 800 pixels, any chance you could resize or I'll have to change the tags to url :(

Smaller pic sorted :)

Yup, I had to crop quite a bit... :(

That's a cool pic! Doesn't look over exposed here. Not sure exactly about the white specs you're refering too, might just be light reflection?

That is really good!

I think the white specs he's referring to are light reflections...flash perhaps?

Excellent.

With wet and shiney subject's you need to diffuse the lighting, to avoid light reflecting of the surfaces.

I really like it. Excellent focal point and DOF, and great composition.

And Matt, that is a sweet avatar, I love Scrat!

Of course, :bonk:, flash + wet stuff = reflextions... When I took this picture I used a piece of white A4 in the window and the built in flash.

I'm saving up for a proper flash unit, I guess I should include a diffuser in that ;)

Marcel - Kewl, is only one entry allowed into the competition? I have a pic of my cats paws I'm about to post. Not sure which is better I like them both :)

Very good indeed - I think the only thing that's missing is a nice green/brown natural background, as the white is a bit boring. 'Fraid you can't enter the monthly comp with a pic that you've posted already, as people would know whos pic it was ;)

Back