Snail Shell

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes

Shell by Michael B O'Brien, on Flickr

Like HDR, I generally look upon selective colour as the work of the devil :)
However, like Marmite, you never know if you like it until you try it! (And you should try most things at least once ;) )
This one, I did a B+W simulation on the background and some desaturation on the shell. I wanted to make the shell stand out but not glaringly so.
Yes, it's dull and wet tonight and I'm bored :)

Last edited:
I like the select colouring on this, not quite so sure on the composition though. :thinking:

Thanks for the comment!
I wasn't sure about the colour (I've had the full B+W version on flickr for weeks) but liked the composition lol. Which was as-is, in situ, no fiddling by me :)

I like the selective colouring and how the shell is sat nicely in the rocks. Nice depth of field too.

Thanks, Will. DoF on a 4/3rds sensor is a PITA, especially on a bright day (remember those?) :)

This shot is fantastic-superb definition of both the shell remains and the rocks, excellent result from your tweaking efforts IMHO

The colour-popping seems to work quite well in this shot, in my opinion, although it would be good to compare the same shot in full natural colour. For me, maybe a slightly different composition would improve it, but I love the contrast in this image. :)

This shot is fantastic-superb definition of both the shell remains and the rocks, excellent result from your tweaking efforts IMHO
Thanks!
it would be good to compare the same shot in full natural colour.
Why? I mean, I sort of know what you mean but now I'm thinking it doesn't work as a stand-alone image :)
OB094118a.jpg

For me, maybe a slightly different composition would improve it, but I love the contrast in this image. :)

Why? I mean, I sort of know what you mean but now I'm thinking it doesn't work as a stand-alone image :)

Have to agree, it works much better with selective colouring. (y)

It's personal preference of course, but I still don't think having the main subject in centre frame works too well.

I like this, i think selective colouring has it place, if i ever do it i generally just lower the saturation on the background, it a similar sort of effect (in that subtle way)

I agree with others though, maybe use slightly less central framing??

Jack

Back