Snaps Photo Services Ltd, Bournemouth - any experience?

Edit My Images
Yes
Earlier this year I had family visit from overseas who we hadn't seen for 2.5 years because Covid. Anyway 4 x P&S were loaded with C41 and distributed across the family to snap away.

It's now time to get them dev & printed at 6 x 4 with an extra set of prints (I don't need scans). In the past I've used AG Photo and they were roughly £13 ish for dev and 2 sets of prints. However their print prices have increased dramatically (I know all prices have risen etc) but the cost for this is now £20.49 per film. AG have Freepost mailers and paid for return postage.

I've heard people mention Photo Hippo being ok and they do what I want with added bonus of a download of scans for £16.50. No Freepost mailers but return postage included.

Then via t'internet I've come across Snaps Photo Services Ltd, Bournemouth. https://www.snapsphotoservices.com/
For what I want it's £11.37 which is very appealing even taking into account paying postage both ways. Their website indicates it's all done in-house/their shop and they not long ago upgraded their E6 dev kit so that gives me some confidence.

So does anyone have film dev experience of Snaps Photo Services they can share?

NB: 5 or so years ago I used a cheap Hull based company that must have turned auto everything to the max and the prints were awful and really blown out so I don't want that experience again (the same cameras produced considerably better prints via AG).

Last edited:
IIRC someone here lived in Bournmouth and uses (or used to) them, maybe he/she is still around and would help. I used them about 15 years ago and was happy, but doesn't help as the staff or ownership could have changed in that time

Thanks @Mr Perceptive , @excalibur2 and especially @trevorbray (plus a nod to @ChrisR )as that's just the re-assurance I was looking for.

I've just phoned them and they patiently answered all my questions inc do they D&P 35mm half frame (yes), can they do prints from E6 alongside dev and slide mounting (yes again but some creative ordering on a form required as understandably it's hardly a frequent request), ordering process etc.

So after scooping up all the P&S shot rolls I've got kicking about the following order will be heading their way (all 35mm):
6x C41 D&P - 4 with extra sets of prints
1 x dev'd C41 uncut roll to have a full set of prints from
2 x B&W D&P plus extra sets of prints
1 x E6 dev, mounted and full set of prints

I realise I'm likely to end up with a hell of lot of not very well composed or exposed prints (some duplicated!) from all the above but it will be cheaper than going for individual re-prints and when you haven't seen family for that long who cares. If there is anything particularly special from the B&W I'll make enlargements in the dark room.

Will let you know how it all goes.

Last edited:
Thanks @Mr Perceptive , @excalibur2 and especially @trevorbray (plus a nod to @ChrisR )as that's just the re-assurance I was looking for.

I've just phoned them and they patiently answered all my questions inc do they D&P 35mm half frame (yes), can they do prints from E6 alongside dev and slide mounting (yes again but some creative ordering on a form required as understandably it's hardly a frequent request), ordering process etc.

So after scooping up all the P&S shot rolls I've got kicking about the following order will be heading their way (all 35mm):
6x C41 D&P - 4 with extra sets of prints
1 x dev'd C41 uncut roll to have a full set of prints from
2 x B&W D&P plus extra sets of prints
1 x E6 dev, mounted and full set of prints

I realise I'm likely to end up with a hell of lot of not very well composed or exposed prints (some duplicated!) from all the above but it will be cheaper than going for individual re-prints and when you haven't seen family for that long who cares. If there is anything particularly special from the B&W I'll make enlargements in the dark room.

Will let you know how it all goes.
Snaps:-How do you get your negs back and is there a postage charge? And also how do you get your JPGs e.g. download from the net..... from their price list it looks like another £1.50??? so total price + dev and small scan (£5.50) would be £7 (if sending negs back free).
ATM filmdev would be for same £4.50 plus free download of JPGs but £1.50 to send negs back, so total £6

Snaps:-How do you get your negs back and is there a postage charge? And also how do you get your JPGs e.g. download from the net..... from their price list it looks like another £1.50??? so total price + dev and small scan (£5.50) would be £7 (if sending negs back free).
ATM filmdev would be for same £4.50 plus free download of JPGs but £1.50 to send negs back, so total £6

Hi there, I'm not sure on dev and scan then return of negs prices as I've not looked at that route. My order is mainly based on dev and print without any scans. I've not completed the order yet so I'm not in a position to play with their order form in the combination you describe.

The postage I'm being quoted for return of a mountain of prints (and 1 x mounted slides) from 10 films is £4.50. I'm expecting the negs come back with prints/slides.

If you can't figure it out from their website I'd suggest giving them a call as they were v helpful with me earlier today.

IIRC someone here lived in Bournmouth and uses (or used to) them, maybe he/she is still around and would help. I used them about 15 years ago and was happy, but doesn't help as the staff or ownership could have changed in that time

The website, although not the clearest, indicates that the founder remains the CEO.

@excalibur2
I've opened a different browser and tried a "test" order.

Screenshot_20221007-154255.png

Screenshot_20221007-154351.png
From my v limited experience itappears that the £4.50 is their standard minimum return postage. If that's the case then dev, scan and return of negs is considerably more than FilmDev. I'd still recommend giving them a call though.

@excalibur2

View attachment 369307

View attachment 369308
From my v limited experience itappears that the £4.50 is their standard minimum return postage. If that's the case then dev, scan and return of negs is considerably more than FilmDev. I'd still recommend giving them a call though.
Thank you.....for the shots I'm taking ATM I'll stick with Filmdev which are much cheaper and you can have Tiff files for no extra charge.

@excalibur2

View attachment 369307

View attachment 369308
Generally speaking better to get strips of 6 as most sleeve sheets sold today are in that format, and it reduces handling if you ever get to scan your own...

After a bit of a delay due to family gatherings my order was finally placed and posted to them yesterday.

The order contains one less film than planned - I very nearly sent off an unexposed Pro Image 100!!

The mega load of prints arrived from Snaps Bournemouth today (19th) so excluding a day each way in the post the turn around was 6 calendar days which I'm happy with.

I'm impressed with the quality of their 35mm C41 & B&W developing and printing and I will certainly use them again. I'll have a better look through the images and post a few on the right place on the forum.

However Snaps tell tell me they are waiting for some E6 chems from their supplier but these are out of stock. So the single E6 film part of my order remains undeveloped and with them.

Last edited:
Back